Jump to content
  • Welcome to AngelsWin.com

    AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

    Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

    Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

     

One quarter of the season in the books


Recommended Posts

So far, the Halos are 9-0 against the bad teams (Tejas, Royals, and O's) and 16-16 vs. everyone else.

But, in that 16-16 record vs. everyone else, only two of those opponents are currently under .500 (2-2 record vs the 17-20 Twins and 5-2 record vs the 20-21 A'th).

Take away the crappy Red Sux series (even the Skanks series had two tight games) though, and they are 25-13.

Six game lead currently on the most likely team (Twins) to fight for 2nd WC spot with, because while the M's are 23-17, that rotation (weak after Paxton) and sans Cano = question mark.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think we would all take it if we were told that going in we would be percentage points up at the 25% mark. 

Going in i was most concerned with the Twins and Jays. 
The Twins largely due to a very weak Central aside from Cle, and the Jays to a lesser extent though being in the AL east getting a regular diet of NY/Bos at best they were a third place team.   
Ms & As didnt scare me due to same division, we controlled that and i felt we were better.  

At this point it will likely be the second place teams in the east and west barring the Twins getting back on track to pose a threat. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Twins pitching has the potential to be quite good.  Galverson will be called up soon.   The Astros with Cole, Morton, Verlander,  Keuchel  and McCullers are simply too good for us to win the Division.  The second wildcard is ours at this point. We have to get our bullpen settled out and hope that our starting pitching continues as well as it has.  We need to be more dominant at home.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, LAAMike said:

The Twins pitching has the potential to be quite good.  Galverson will be called up soon.   The Astros with Cole, Morton, Verlander,  Keuchel  and McCullers are simply too good for us to win the Division.  The second wildcard is ours at this point. We have to get our bullpen settled out and hope that our starting pitching continues as well as it has.  We need to be more dominant at home.   

The Astros and Angels have played 4 H2H matchups this year, the Angels are 3-1.

Last year, the Astros won I think 13 or 14 against the Angels. 

Their pitching is awfully tough, but the Angels offense can be quite good as well.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, LAAMike said:

The Twins pitching has the potential to be quite good.  Galverson will be called up soon.   The Astros with Cole, Morton, Verlander,  Keuchel  and McCullers are simply too good for us to win the Division.  The second wildcard is ours at this point. We have to get our bullpen settled out and hope that our starting pitching continues as well as it has.  We need to be more dominant at home.   

Your right.  The Astros magic number is 120 with only 119 games to play.

We need to quit "stroking" the Astros!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Overall better than expected. The thing I find most encouraging is the starting pitching: just about everyone is doing as well or better than expected, except for Richards. Ohtani isn't far off from being a true ace, Skaggs and Heaney look like solid #2-3 starters, Barria is coming along quite nicely, Tropeano looks very solid and healthy, and Richards has shown flashes of recapturing his best form.  This is a good rotation that is on the verge of being very good, even borderline great.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Hubs said:

The Astros and Angels have played 4 H2H matchups this year, the Angels are 3-1.

Last year, the Astros won I think 13 or 14 against the Angels. 

Their pitching is awfully tough, but the Angels offense can be quite good as well.

 

This time, the Halos have the rotation to at least try to approach the Astros impossible staff.    Next step, a closer

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Overall better than expected. The thing I find most encouraging is the starting pitching: just about everyone is doing as well or better than expected, except for Richards. Ohtani isn't far off from being a true ace, Skaggs and Heaney look like solid #2-3 starters, Barria is coming along quite nicely, Tropeano looks very solid and healthy, and Richards has shown flashes of recapturing his best form.  This is a good rotation that is on the verge of being very good, even borderline great.

I guess I owe Mike Krukow an apology.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LAAMike said:

The Twins pitching has the potential to be quite good.  Galverson will be called up soon.   The Astros with Cole, Morton, Verlander,  Keuchel  and McCullers are simply too good for us to win the Division.  The second wildcard is ours at this point. We have to get our bullpen settled out and hope that our starting pitching continues as well as it has.  We need to be more dominant at home.   

...and yet, we are tied, go figure.  
We are tied with 2 guys in such horrific slumps they can barely count as having at bats and a bullpen made with duct tape and bailing wire and them having at least 2 starters playing over their projections.
Yes, we have issues, obviously, but to saythey are simply too good isnt an absolute. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Overall better than expected. The thing I find most encouraging is the starting pitching: just about everyone is doing as well or better than expected, except for Richards. Ohtani isn't far off from being a true ace, Skaggs and Heaney look like solid #2-3 starters, Barria is coming along quite nicely, Tropeano looks very solid and healthy, and Richards has shown flashes of recapturing his best form.  This is a good rotation that is on the verge of being very good, even borderline great.

Richards needs to walk away from the CJ Wilson videos.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Overall better than expected. The thing I find most encouraging is the starting pitching: just about everyone is doing as well or better than expected, except for Richards. Ohtani isn't far off from being a true ace, Skaggs and Heaney look like solid #2-3 starters, Barria is coming along quite nicely, Tropeano looks very solid and healthy, and Richards has shown flashes of recapturing his best form.  This is a good rotation that is on the verge of being very good, even borderline great.

Agreed. Health is obviously an issue, and with how things have gone the last few years, i keep waiting on something bad. But the staff up to now has looked very good (other than them not going 7 innings).

The offense is pretty good, defense stellar. A pen would make this team very dangerous...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, the pen is the biggest problem, followed by an erratic and sometimes anemic offense. The latter may be solveable from within--by better performances from players, and maybe a call-up or two (e.g. Fletcher, Fernandez). I'm less confident about the former. I tend to like the Eppler Scrap-heap Approach to bullpen construction, but it doesn't seem to have worked this year.

(This in reply to @ten ocho recon scout)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Agreed. Health is obviously an issue, and with how things have gone the last few years, i keep waiting on something bad. But the staff up to now has looked very good (other than them not going 7 innings).

The offense is pretty good, defense stellar. A pen would make this team very dangerous...

Get a stud closer and a good mid relief guy and that will take care of the pen.

Then a stud RF veteran and knock on wood should be set to make a run for the pennant.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Six game lead currently on the most likely team (Twins) to fight for 2nd WC spot with, because while the M's are 23-17, that rotation (weak after Paxton) and sans Cano = question mark.   

I really hate everyone seemingly being content to fight for the second wild card. Until there just is no way to win the division that's what we should be fighting for. Sure the Astros are a good team, but so are we. We have beaten them 3 out 4 games so far.

That's the goal until it's not, we have to play the games, but so do the Astros. The Astros haven't had to play the Yankees or Boston yet and we are still percentage points ahead of them.

People seem to be scared of the Astros but they can be beaten...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

I really hate everyone seemingly being content to fight for the second wild card. Until there just is no way to win the division that's what we should be fighting for. Sure the Astros are a good team, but so are we. We have beaten them 3 out 4 games so far.

That's the goal until it's not, we have to play the games, but so do the Astros. The Astros haven't had to play the Yankees or Boston yet and we are still percentage points ahead of them.

People seem to be scared of the Astros but they can be beaten...

Not scared as much as focusing on the minimum...W/C game spot 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

I really hate everyone seemingly being content to fight for the second wild card. Until there just is no way to win the division that's what we should be fighting for. Sure the Astros are a good team, but so are we. We have beaten them 3 out 4 games so far.

That's the goal until it's not, we have to play the games, but so do the Astros. The Astros haven't had to play the Yankees or Boston yet and we are still percentage points ahead of them.

People seem to be scared of the Astros but they can be beaten...

They have played the Yankees I believe 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If nothing else, a few things have come to light....

1. The Astros are the defending World Champions, and they're good.  Their pitching is insane and they have a deep lineup that can hurt you 1-9. 

2. The Angels can play with the Astros.  Their starting pitchers are the most underrated unit in baseball and the offense can score.  The bullpen could use some work, but they have a few relievers that can do their jobs. 

3. The Mariners are doing everything in their power to keep pace and have so far.  Losing Cano for 80 games and the playoffs if they make it could be a backbreaker though. 

4. The A's who were everyone's darling sleepers entering the season are basically a .500 team. If people want to be exciting, go ahead, I guess. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

We only make the playoffs if we win the division or win the WC game. Losing the WC is not making the post season IMO.

Bullshit! The playoffs are post season.  The WC card is post season, it's part of the playoffs not matter what you think!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...