• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Greg Holland

Not me! I wanted nothing to do with him. He really fell off a cliff the 2nd half of last season and I'd hate to see them forfeit a pick for a reliever. I do wish they signed Addison Reed though considering what he ended up signing for. Was expecting him to receive a better deal than the 2yr/$16.75 million he ended up taking

Remember how everyone thought a Bud Norris reunion was a terrible idea because he had those 5 (of 60) awful games?

20 G, 2.33 ERA, 1.03 WHIP, 19.1 IP, 3 BB, 27 K for $3m.

Ironically, Yusmeiro Petit is having the worst of our 3 former standouts from last year - 3.97 ERA, WHIP near 1.4, his K9 down from 10+ back to a more normal 6.8.

And David Hernandez is actually someone I could see Eppler trading for in coming days/weeks.

1 hour ago, bloodbrother said:

Not me! I wanted nothing to do with him. He really fell off a cliff the 2nd half of last season and I'd hate to see them forfeit a pick for a reliever. I do wish they signed Addison Reed though considering what he ended up signing for. Was expecting him to receive a better deal than the 2yr/$16.75 million he ended up taking

I'll never understand why we didn't sign Reed for that. The guy grew up down the road and idolized Percy and K-Rod.

34 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Remember how everyone thought a Bud Norris reunion was a terrible idea because he had those 5 (of 60) awful games?

20 G, 2.33 ERA, 1.03 WHIP, 19.1 IP, 3 BB, 27 K for $3m.

Ironically, Yusmeiro Petit is having the worst of our 3 former standouts from last year - 3.97 ERA, WHIP near 1.4, his K9 down from 10+ back to a more normal 6.8.

And David Hernandez is actually someone I could see Eppler trading for in coming days/weeks.

I can understand not resigning Norris. the kind of meltdowns he had (where he gave up 4-5 runs) are automatic losses, and those 5 games are a big swing in a season. I'd much rather have a reliever that limits his meltdowns to 1-2 runs allowed even if he has more of them, because it at least keeps the game winnable

6 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

I can understand not resigning Norris. the kind of meltdowns he had (where he gave up 4-5 runs) are automatic losses, and those 5 games are a big swing in a season. I'd much rather have a reliever that limits his meltdowns to 1-2 runs allowed even if he has more of them, because it at least keeps the game winnable

Heck no! You are much better off giving up a bunch of runs in one game than a few runs over many games. To put this in starter terms, I'd rather have a guy who pitched like Bundy in 4-5 games a year and didn't give up any runs the whole rest of the year than a guy like Kershaw who gives up 2 runs every game.

34 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

We’d all love to have Jansen or Chapman but there’s a reason those guys are elite - there’s only a handful of them at any given time. 

Bud Norris and his *4 games* of allowing 3+ runs are probably better than 95% of the relievers that pitched regularly last year. 

He allowed game-winning grand slams twice in a three game stretch and 3 ER twice. That really amplified his struggles into a perception that he was a lot worse than he was simply because they were so dramatic. Every other appearance was scoreless or a reasonable realistic 1-2 runs allowed - something that happened 11 times to Bud. 7 to Jansen and Miller. 12 times to Chapman.

I couldn't understand, at the time, why the Cardinals gave Holland so much money. When everyone else was getting bargains on remaining free agents, they paid top dollar. It looked to me like one of the worst signings of the offseason, and Holland's performance has only confirmed that.

4 hours ago, bloodbrother said:

Reed wanted to sign with a Midwest team only. He limited his market which led to Minnesota getting a steal. 

11 hours ago, SoWhat said:

Reed wanted to sign with a Midwest team only. He limited his market which led to Minnesota getting a steal. 

Exactly.  His wife is from Ohio so he wanted to play somewhere in the Midwest, Percy and KRod be damned. 

"His agent negotiated with a quality-of-life focus rather than necessarily getting the best deal," Levine aid. "I think he addressed his player's desires and needs expressly in this negotiation. Adam Katz did a masterful job in this."