• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trading with KC

3 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Acquiring Soler and Herrera would solve a lot of problems here.

What would that cost us? 

The problem with that trade is Soler.  He is young and will cost quite a bit.  I would rather work out a deal to get Herrera and possibly Ian Kennedy.  They might want to shed some payroll and taking on the payroll will lessen the cost prospect wise.  Fletcher said he thought Herrera would cost a prospect in the 10-20 range because of his pending free agency.  

Soler is someone they likely want to hang onto for the future.  I imagine the two we could get would be Moose and Herrera for a fairly small cost.  This winter, we saw not many teams want or need a 3B, and there'll be more of the same at the trading deadline.

If we acquired Moose, we could either have him play 3B (this assumes Kinsler struggles all year and we shift Cozart to 2B) or, alternatively, we can have Moose take over the Valbuena role of playing 1B/3B.  This would give us a LH presence in the lineup to go along with Ohtani.

Keep in mind this isn't something I foresee happening now, but rather, something that could be an option near the trading deadline if we continue to see either Kinsler scuffling or Valbuena OPS'ing below 700.

Herrera would be the ideal piece for us to get and it should not cost much. Soler is still young and i believe untradeable.

Moose could be a nice guy in the line-up, but we also have in-house options that are cheaper..

List of in house-options

1. JMF- Solid K-to-BB rate, descend power and has the ability to play 2nd/1st. another LH hand option also is a protocol 2-hole hitter.   

2. Ward- more and more he's looking as starting 3rd baseman, good BB-to-K rate and has shown power

3. Fletcher- fringe starting 2nd baseman or UT.  

If i'm billy i'd make a trade for Herrera, while trying to get John Jay. we get a lead of-hitter and Rf( if calhoun continues to struggle) and we get a closer option. 

If we trade for him now, in May, we won’t like the price.  If we trade for a closer at the deadline it will be cheap enough. Now if you wanted to do something like Herrera and Ian Kennedy you might be able to do that now, for Barria, Ward and Thais.  

6 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

If we trade for him now, in May, we won’t like the price.  If we trade for a closer at the deadline it will be cheap enough. Now if you wanted to do something like Herrera and Ian Kennedy you might be able to do that now, for Barria, Ward and Thais.  

Hell I would rather have Barria than Ian Kennedy.

1 minute ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

We have plenty of trade bait in our farm system.  We have only one infield spot and one outfield spot to fill next year.  Trout, Upton, Pujols, Simmons, and  Cozart are going nowhere.  Don't understand why the Angels are not on the phone with the Royals right now to acquire Herrera.  Should have been done before the season started.

No it shouldn’t have been done before the season.  We have no idea if they are in talks right now.   Why overpay?  

1 minute ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

To win the division.  We don't need guys like Matt Thiass.  First base logjam going nowhere.  Angels built to win now.

Yes, but we do need guys like Adell, Canning and Marsh.  If I thought we could solve the bullpen in May trading Thais then sign me up to trade Thias.  The cost is higher today than it will be at the end of July.  Now you might be able to get him at the end of July not even trading someone as good as Thias.  By the way our log jam at first base after this season consists of Albert, and that is it.  

26 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Boston acquired 3 years of Kimbrel and it cost them two top 50 prospects and 2 additional solid prospects.  

But you have to consider that Kimbrel was the best closer at the time, including the fact that the market for relievers was better than compare to now. 

half a year of Herrera will not cost us that much.

Some thing like this: 

John Jay, Herrera for Castillo, Gatto and one or two prospects not on the top 30 

Just now, BackUpTheTruck said:

I forgot about Matian.  Untouchable. How many infield prospects do we need?  Cowart and Ward are expendable in my opinion.  I mean, pick somebody Eppler.  We need Herrera yesterday.

If we could get Herrera for Cowart we would have had him yesterday.  I get the feeling he is the guy we will get.  Although I wouldn’t put it past Eppler to go after Hand so it can be solved going forward rather than it being solved for three months.

1 hour ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I think you guys are overvaluing Herrera's  trade value. Maybe if it was 2 years ago, it may have cost us a top 15 prospect to get him. Half a year of him will at most cost us somewhere around the bottom 15.

While I largely agree with the idea that players on expiring contracts cost quite a bit less come the trade deadline, shutdown relievers do seem to still command a premium, as most contenders like to stock up on as many quality relievers as possible.

I don't think Herrera will cost THAT much, but I can see him costing more than just a bottom 15 prospect.

That said, my preference is to go out and get a dominant closer that we can have for multiple years to help coincide with our window of contention, which is why I'm on the Brad Hand bandwagon.  

In my dream scenario, we could acquire Hand (for a significant package) and Herrera (for a modest package).  Add those two to complement our current pen core (...hopefully assuming Middleton isnt KO'd for the season) will lead to a dominant, shutdown pen.  Having that shutdown pen to go along with a playoff rotation of Ohtani, Richards, Skaggs, and Heaney (or Barria, if he pitches like he did recently) would put us in a GREAT spot overall and make us legitimate WS contenders.

Also - an interesting idea might be the introduction of Canning as a reliever come September.  If we manage his innings well, we could conceivably add him to the 40-man roster in September, pitch him in an inning here or there and see how he responds, and if his stuff can be dialed up... who knows, maybe we have ourselves another possible October relief option.