• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

A Few Thoughts

2 minutes ago, stormngt said:

My real problem with the loss is the makeup of the pitching staff.

1. Ohtani forces us to have 6 man rotation. And leaving us with only 7 relievers.

2. We are too many starters on a strict pitch count this forcing us to over use our bullpen.

3.  For some reason Scioscia did not make Alvarez available.  He was off the day before so I dont know he wasn't used.

4.  Too many of our relievers cant be optioned down so we cant bring up help.

5. This forces us to gamble with the use of the bullpen like the last two nights and cost us two games.  Noe should not be asked to pitch 3 innings.  Anderson should not be asked to deliver a 6 out save.  

1.  This is a good point, but we have actually been doing a good job of balancing out this deficiency - we have been juggling pitchers with options (Tropeano at the start, Barria now, using the 10 day DL, etc).  This works well with the off days in our schedule, but when we go through a stretch like we have right now with a lot of consecutive games, then we do go through a period of time when we have 6 starters on the roster.  I do think Barria gets sent down after his next start (Tuesday), because we have the next Monday off, which means we can option Barria, then recall him the next time we need a 6th starter (the subsequent Saturday).

2.  That's the way baseball is for the most part these days.  I'm fine with the strict pitch count if it keeps our pitchers healthy.   The problem with this design though is what you point out in point 4:  we need more relievers with options, so we can shuttle them back and forth, rest them in AAA, keep them fresh, etc.  Finding Anderson was great, but we need an influx of more relievers with options.  Ideally, we'd have 4-5 "core relievers" who are always in the MLB, and the other 3 spots go to guys who can be optioned back and forth to AAA.

3.  Alvarez has been used a lot overall, I am guessing they are trying to rest him to varying degrees.  Unfortunately, another significant problem is we have no second lefty for the pen.  This is something we truly need, because we run the risk of burning Alvarez out in mid-season.

5.  I agree - the problem we have had is we are thin in the pen and asking guys to do more than we probably should overall.  We need to cultivate more relievers.  Fortunately, it isn't THAT hard to find decent relievers overall, so we just have to keep scouting the waiver wire to find decent options.  We do have Jake Jewell as well too - I don't know if he's an MLB reliever just yet, but at least he's someone in AAA who has that option.

5 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

2.  That's the way baseball is for the most part these days.  I'm fine with the strict pitch count if it keeps our pitchers healthy.   The problem with this design though is what you point out in point 4:  we need more relievers with options, so we can shuttle them back and forth, rest them in AAA, keep them fresh, etc.  Finding Anderson was great, but we need an influx of more relievers with options.  Ideally, we'd have 4-5 "core relievers" who are always in the MLB, and the other 3 spots go to guys who can be optioned back and forth to AAA.

3.  Alvarez has been used a lot overall, I am guessing they are trying to rest him to varying degrees.  Unfortunately, another significant problem is we have no second lefty for the pen.  This is something we truly need, because we run the risk of burning Alvarez out in mid-season.

5.  I agree - the problem we have had is we are thin in the pen and asking guys to do more than we probably should overall.  We need to cultivate more relievers.  Fortunately, it isn't THAT hard to find decent relievers overall, so we just have to keep scouting the waiver wire to find decent options.  We do have Jake Jewell as well too - I don't know if he's an MLB reliever just yet, but at least he's someone in AAA who has that option.

Another problem is that the only two relievers we have that can be optioned down are arguably the two most effective: Anderson and Middleton.

I understand we need to rest Alvarez more.  I understand why he wasnt pitched Friday.  However if it's just to give him a rest he needed to pitch yesterday.  It was predictable that Noe was giving up at least one run.  

1 minute ago, stormngt said:

Another problem is that the only two relievers we have that can be optioned down are arguably the two most effective: Anderson and Middleton.

I understand we need to rest Alvarez more.  I understand why he wasnt pitched Friday.  However if it's just to give him a rest he needed to pitch yesterday.  It was predictable that Noe was giving up at least one run.  

In truth, I blame that loss on our offense entirely.  We had so many chances to push home that winning run, but failed.  Our pen was short-handed, and unfortunately, we got out-lasted.  Ramirez pitched great until he ran out of gas.

Ideally, we'd find another 1-2 guys we can truly count on.  I would love to see us acquire either Hand or Velazquez, although it'll cost significant capital to do so.  We'd gain a closer and a second lefty though, which would solve both of our deficiencies at the same time.  We could then have a bullpen of:  Hand (or Velazquez), Middleton, Anderson, Alvarez, Ramirez, Johnson, then one of Parker/Bedrock/Wood.  That one change alone would make a huge difference.  

9 hours ago, Griffey's Corner said:

Where are you pulling the idea that I do not want Showtime on the team??? I think going forward I will ignore your comments and that would be best for everyone involved. It's one thing to deal with a belligerent.... but it's a whole added element when they are riding on the special bus.

If you want to defer and say that you trust the paid professionals judgement than that comment can easily extend to any critiquing there is on any topic..... so by your logic you should never comment on anything.

And any complaining or commenting or critiquing that you do.... any of us on the message board can dismiss you by using your own words and tell you that we will trust the paid professionals over your opinion.

Careful griff you are dangerously close to being out of the cool kids club.mean girls GIF

1 minute ago, robblin17 said:

How about batting Trout 3rd? Look at the hitters in front of him. No one is ever going to pitch to him. Why would they? 

Cozart

Simmons

Trout

Upton

Ohtani

Pujols

Black Hole

Maldonado

Kinsler

If both guys have .350 OBPs then go for it.  The year Yunel and Kole had good OBPs it made a lot of sense.  

1 minute ago, Lou said:

Include Trout and they went 2-22

Great point. 

It just boggles my mind why we would not want our best hitter to hit with guys on base. Moving Trout to three lengthens the lineup, pushes Pujols further down, and creates more opportunities for guys that are actually producing (Simmons, Trout, Upton). 

5 hours ago, Glen said:

It's an aggregate of how many runners each batter left on base, not the total number.

This! 

That said, even the total number is way too high. 16 left on base is absolutely ludicrous. Btw, Ohtani should have been used as a pinch hitter, say for Pujols late in the game

7 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Because they needed someone to play CF and Chris Young is a career 95 OPS guy over 4600 at bats.  He's hit 187 HRs in his career, stolen 147 bases, and owns a positive dWAR for his career.  The three best comps for his career through his current age are Jose Cruz, Dave Henderson, and Alex Gordon.   He's been a good player.   Meanwhile the guy you are losing sleep over is a career 76 OPS+ hitter over 1600 at bats.   He's hit 12 HRs in his entire career, he's stolen 157 bases, but he's posted a negative dWAR for his career.  He had a nice open to his 2017 then cratered.  He posted a .289/.379/.461 batting line over his first 24 games, then went on hit .206/.224/.324 in the next 24 games...   

You'd be shocked to know that there were precious few here who wanted him retained...  For the most part people wanted him gone  It was indeed frustrating to see him sent packing because of the AP situation because if not for him there is no way they make that move.   The only positive here is that the bag of peanuts they got for him is looking like a pretty good player so far.  Luis Rengfino has put up a .311/.417/.455 batting line in High A so far and was second in the minors with 18 SBs.   He's got a ways to go but at least he's looking like he can play some SS and can swing the bat.

Really?  So on December 13th when they made that trade you wanted them to play Fletcher at 2B.  The same David Fletcher you had never seen play and who was coming off a 655 OPS season across two minor league levels?  Its not like he had a down year either, he had put up a .673 OPS the previous year.  Dude was looking like a UT IF before his massive leap forward this season.   This is revisionist history 101.

I like Eric Young Jr. better. I like guys that play with fire & emotion. In my opinion Eric has had the better career and he had a better year last year. He was cheaper. We have a difference of opinion on ballplayers.

I am not shocked I have been an avid reader of Angelswin.com for the last 13 years..... on the average day I am on here about 10-15 separate times.

I actually started liking Fletcher from the previous year.... he reminds me of David Eckstein. I am not trying to brag or impress you. just being honest. if it makes you feel better that I really am not clairvoyant..... than I will tell you that I was 100% wrong so far on Shohei being a great MLB hitter.  My prediction on that was that he would be a very good pitcher and totally bust as a hitter.... so feel better I was way off base on that.... & I am glad that so far Shohei is proving me wrong. And I will end this with one more point and that is I could be totally wrong about Fletcher.... Maybe he will come up and be a total bust. Again I like players that play great Defense, guys that hustle, play with fire and want to win. 

13 hours ago, Lou said:

Before today's games - 

May 2018:

Valbuena = .286. BA   .400/.429/.829

Cron =  .267 BA   .343/.267/.610

Luis hasn't been the problem 

Valbuena's batting average is .255. making around $8 this year.

Cron's batting average is .281. And on pace for around 36-37 HR's. making around 2 million this year.

3 minutes ago, Griffey's Corner said:

Valbuena's batting average is .255. making around $8 this year.

Cron's batting average is .281. And on pace for around 36-37 HR's. making around 2 million this year.

Actually none of your numbers are right. That's a little embarrassing..... a casual Angels fan should know that Valbuena is not hitting .286.