• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

A Few Thoughts

The record for most runners LOB in a 9-inning game is 20. That was done 62-years ago. That means we would have broken the record for a 10-inning game.

I think that would have been mentioned on the broadcast. 

Edited by Lou

2 hours ago, mulwin444 said:

I think when Poochie is not on screen, everyone should be asking "Where's Poochie?"

I think Poochie should also get access to a time machine

That is great.

I feel like Morgan on Seinfeld when George is suggesting Joe Peppitone Day or Jon Voight Day at Yankee Stadium.

I have to quit clicking on these threads.

9 hours ago, Griffey's Corner said:

Point #3.... I have no idea why they signed Chris Young. 

Because they needed someone to play CF and Chris Young is a career 95 OPS guy over 4600 at bats.  He's hit 187 HRs in his career, stolen 147 bases, and owns a positive dWAR for his career.  The three best comps for his career through his current age are Jose Cruz, Dave Henderson, and Alex Gordon.   He's been a good player.   Meanwhile the guy you are losing sleep over is a career 76 OPS+ hitter over 1600 at bats.   He's hit 12 HRs in his entire career, he's stolen 157 bases, but he's posted a negative dWAR for his career.  He had a nice open to his 2017 then cratered.  He posted a .289/.379/.461 batting line over his first 24 games, then went on hit .206/.224/.324 in the next 24 games...   

Point #4... It's bad enough the Angels are on the hook for the Pujols & Valbuena salaries.... this year I am approximating around $40,000,000. But you are making a bad decision even worse when you jettison your first round pick CJ Cron who you have spent so much time & resources in developing and improving his defense. I do not think CJ Cron is a world beater but when the season started I predicted.... not on this board that he would hit .283 and hit 32 HR's. Which at least is giving you average production. We gave up CJ for a bag of peanuts.... even though between the 3 he is the best player.... because of the salaries.... that is so messed up.

You'd be shocked to know that there were precious few here who wanted him retained...  For the most part people wanted him gone  It was indeed frustrating to see him sent packing because of the AP situation because if not for him there is no way they make that move.   The only positive here is that the bag of peanuts they got for him is looking like a pretty good player so far.  Luis Rengfino has put up a .311/.417/.455 batting line in High A so far and was second in the minors with 18 SBs.   He's got a ways to go but at least he's looking like he can play some SS and can swing the bat.

Point #5..... I wanted Fletcher to start at 2b and use the money saved to sign some bullpen help.... instead we added Kinsler and whatever he is making? I am guessing around $10,000,000? And I am not a Kinsler basher... I just think the money could have been spent better elsewhere.

Really?  So on December 13th when they made that trade you wanted them to play Fletcher at 2B.  The same David Fletcher you had never seen play and who was coming off a 655 OPS season across two minor league levels?  Its not like he had a down year either, he had put up a .673 OPS the previous year.  Dude was looking like a UT IF before his massive leap forward this season.   This is revisionist history 101.

Edited by Inside Pitch

5 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

We can't let Ohtani pinch hit the night before he pitches because he might be hit on the hand and break a bone and be out for two months. That's basically the 'thinking' of some here.

According to that logic he shouldn't be hitting at all. Keep him locked up in a safe place and bring his fragile self out every Sunday afternoon for a few hours.

Who on here has that sort of pull with the Angels that is keeping them from doing it?   You're banging on the people here...   It's the Angels front office and prior to them the Ham Fighters who have basically established how to handle him.   People act like what he is doing is oh so easy and common..   Why hasn't anyone done it since Babe Ruth?  Why did MLB teams stop doing this 100 years ago?   I think it's pretty telling that anytime you hear an opposing player or manager talk about Ohtani they all pretty much say how they don't know how he is able to do it...  

But hey, little league Dad on the Angels message board probably knows best.   

6 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Who on here has that sort of pull with the Angels that is keeping them from doing it?   You're banging on the people here...   It's the Angels front office and prior to them the Ham Fighters who have basically established how to handle him.   People act like what he is doing is oh so easy and common..   Why hasn't anyone done it since Babe Ruth?  Why did MLB teams stop doing this 100 years ago?   I think it's pretty telling that anytime you hear an opposing player or manager talk about Ohtani they all pretty much say how they don't know how he is able to do it...  

But hey, little league Dad on the Angels message board probably knows best.   

Well we do eat Lasagna.  

4 hours ago, Lou said:

There is no way in hell we left 25 runners on base.

10 hits, 12 BB.  There were 3 credited RBI so, 25 is impossible.   The Box Score I've seen has it at 16, but the reality is they went 1/10 with RISP -- it was awful regardless of the actual number.

4 hours ago, Throwman91 said:

When Calhoun is gone we have 9 RHH without Ohtani and Valbuena nearly half the time, that's pretty brutal and a real oversight by Eppler when he dropped Revere and grabbed Blash, Young and Carter.  RHP will have a field day the remaining season.  Even with Calhoun we still have an ultra RHH lineup, what happened to valuing lefties?  And It's common baseball knowledge that they are the more valuable hitters based on the fact around 70% of pitchers are RHP.  I feel like this is one reason we are struggling especially late in games, opposing pitchers don't have to adjust and can attack the zone consistently, throwing less mistakes and our boys are swinging at pitcher's pitches all the time.

Your feels and the facts don't add up.. 

The Angels as a team are hitting .265/.331/.451 .vs RHPs -- thats third best in MLB.    Two of those lefties you seemingly value so much have been among the worst of the Angels hitters .vs RHPs -- Valbuena checking in with a .592 OPS against them and Calhoun at .420.   The Angels have put up a batting line of .302/.423/.419 in extra innings....   They have a .741 OPS from the 7th inning on --  Basically everything you've said hasn't been supported by whats actually been happening.  But "common knowledge".

Last night's failures had nothing to do with handedness, and everything to do with a lack of execution.  

Edited by Inside Pitch

12 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

10 hits, 12 BB.  There were 3 credited RBI so, 25 is impossible.   The Box Score I've seen has it at 16, but the reality is they went 1/10 with RISP -- it was awful regardless of the actual number.

Improbable, yes, but it wouldn't be impossible. 

To simplify, if we get no hits or walks in the top of the 1st inning, it doesn't mean that we necessarily left the bases empty.  Three runners could have reached base on an error. 

3 minutes ago, Lou said:

Improbable, yes, but it wouldn't be impossible. 

To simplify, if we get no hits or walks in the top of the 1st inning, it doesn't mean that we necessarily left the bases empty.  Three runners could have reached base on an error. 

I meant in the game in question....    Seems like it was just a matter of how particular box scores were reporting the LOB figure so..  LOB-Gate is apparently over.

@Griffey's Corner Well written post mortem of the Angels problems lately. I'm not the kind of fan who gets overly pissed off game by game, but last night had me ready to flip tables. I kept hoping that Kole would do SOMETHING offensively to help this team, but instead was completely predictable. Also we need to figure out how to win the games that don't feature Ohtani either hitting or pitching. I also agree EY Jr. would be better than Chris Young.

7 hours ago, SuperTroopers said:

Hey new guy, shut it.  It isn’t critiquing it is bitching.  Everyone wants Ohtani to do more.  He is a pitcher first.  Does Sherzer play everyday?  How bout Kershaw?  Sale?  Richards?  No, none of them do.  He has a unique set of skills.  If you don’t want him on the team because we play a man down the game before he starts, ok, find a thread and bring it up.  If people would get it through their heads that he is a pitcher, that DH’s 3 to 4 times a game then we wouldn’t get stupid posts and expectations.  

Keep fightin' the good fight.  Everyone wants Ohtani to play more, but again, it is May of his very first year.  We have lots of time to consider playing him more in the future if we so desire (i.e. pinch hitting days before he starts, etc).  I don't think we see that happen, but for those clamoring to make all these changes now - R-E-L-A-X.  Keep the entire picture in mind and look at the big picture.  

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Because they needed someone to play CF and Chris Young is a career 95 OPS guy over 4600 at bats.  He's hit 187 HRs in his career and stolen 147 bases and a positive dWAR for his career.  His three best comps for his career through his current age are Jose Cruz, Dave Henderson, and Alex Gordon.   He's been a pretty good player.   Meanwhile the guy you are losing sleep over is a career 76 OPS+ hitter over 1600 at bats.   He's hit 12 HRs in his entire career, he's stolen 157 bases, so he's got that going for him but he's posted a negative dWAR for his career.  He had a nice open to his 2017 then cratered.  He posted a .289/.379/.461 batting line over his first 24 games, then went on hit .206/.224/.324 in the next 24 games...   

You'd be shocked to know that there were precious few here who wanted him retained...  For the most part people wanted him gone  It was indeed frustrating to see him sent packing because of the AP situation because if not for him there is no way they make that move.   The only positive here is that the bag of peanuts they got for him is looking like a pretty good player so far.  Luis Rengfino has put up a .311/.417/.455 batting line in High A so far and was second in the minors with 18 SBs.   He's got a ways to go but at least he's looking like he can play some SS and can swing the bat.

Really?  So on December 13th when they made that trade you wanted them to play Fletcher at 2B.  The same David Fletcher you had never seen play and who was coming off a 655 OPS season across two minor league levels?  Its not like he had a down year either, he had put up a .673 OPS the previous year.  Dude was looking like a UT IF before his massive leap forward this season.   This is revisionist history 101.

A lot of us wanted him gone because as you astutely point out, the AP situation necessitated it, unfortunately.  In an ideal world, we could just accept the error of the Pujols contract, let him go, and kept Cron at DH/1B.  This is reality though, and teams don't just release guys with 100+ million left on their deal, so given that, jettisoning Cron in favor of Marte (which is, in truth, basically the choice we made) is what made the most sense, given Marte plays 1B/3B and Cron does not.

All that said too, if Rengfino actually tuns out to be a pretty decent middle infielder, then "we win" the proverbial trade, as those players are worth quite a bit more than 1B/DHs.

I know people are pissed after losing these two games to the Twins (and they should be, because the Twins are a significant wild card threat - don't let their record fool you), but we've got a great team overall and we're heading in the right direction.  

Just now, Warfarin said:

A lot of us wanted him gone because as you astutely point out, the AP situation necessitated it, unfortunately.  In an ideal world, we could just accept the error of the Pujols contract, let him go, and kept Cron at DH/1B.  This is reality though, and teams don't just release guys with 100+ million left on their deal, so given that, jettisoning Cron in favor of Marte (which is, in truth, basically the choice we made) is what made the most sense, given Marte plays 1B/3B and Cron does not.

Oh, I was mostly aiming that comment at all the people who just wrote him off as a total POS..   I had more than one post pointing out how his numbers compared to players people wanting him gone were targetting as a potential upgrade.

The AP situation tied the Angels hands completely...    I said as much prior to the trade and I know many others (clearly you among them), felt the same way.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Oh, I was mostly aiming that comment at all the people who just wrote him off as a total POS..   I had more than one post pointing out how his numbers compared to players people wanting him gone were targetting as a potential upgrade.

The AP situation tied the Angels hands completely...    I said as much prior to the trade and I know many others (clearly you among them), felt the same way.

Yeah, and unfortunately, it'll continue to be that way for a bit.  I do wonder if perhaps in, say, two years (when there's two remaining years of Pujols' deal), we could find a way to gracefully let him go and have him "medically retire" so that he still earns his remaining salary and we can just move on.

Production aside, I'd love to gain an extra roster spot and fill it with someone who has more versatility than just 1B/DH.  Until then though, we are unfortunately stuck.

4 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Yeah, and unfortunately, it'll continue to be that way for a bit.  I do wonder if perhaps in, say, two years (when there's two remaining years of Pujols' deal), we could find a way to gracefully let him go and have him "medically retire" so that he still earns his remaining salary and we can just move on.

Production aside, I'd love to gain an extra roster spot and fill it with someone who has more versatility than just 1B/DH.  Until then though, we are unfortunately stuck.

Agreed -- the six man rotation has made the AP situation all the worse.

Call me a dreamer, but I have said I fully believe that if his 2018 ends up looking like hit 2017, then the Angels will have to take action.   Just have Eppler pull a Jerry Dipoto and tell people they don't want AP to change anything he's doing except take the field...   

I could live with AP getting Ichiro-ed.

7 hours ago, Griffey's Corner said:

Yeah I saw storm.... whatever post that earlier. He seems like a smart guy.... so I was surprised he said that. Your point is spot on. If you are that worried about him getting hurt than they should just lock him up with the fragile china.

You guys do realize had he pitch hit for Marte and failed to get a hit we would not have a first baseman for the next inning?

In what happens if he pitch hits for Rivera and sprains his ankle running to first base like he did earlier in the season who pitches today.  It would have been difficult bringing a replacement from Salt Lake in 13 hours not easy.

The front office made the decision before the season how they are going to handle Ohtani. They have their reasons and I don't think it's only Scioscia's decision.  I think it's stupid to be constantly harping about it.  (To be honest my emotions got the best of me last night because of the frustration of the back to back losses.)

You are making a good point by can't play scared.  Ohtani can get hurt at any time. 

My real problem with the loss is the makeup of the pitching staff.

1. Ohtani forces us to have 6 man rotation. And leaving us with only 7 relievers.

2. We are too many starters on a strict pitch count this forcing us to over use our bullpen.

3.  For some reason Scioscia did not make Alvarez available.  He was off the day before so I dont know he wasn't used.

4.  Too many of our relievers cant be optioned down so we cant bring up help.

5. This forces us to gamble with the use of the bullpen like the last two nights and cost us two games.  Noe should not be asked to pitch 3 innings.  Anderson should not be asked to deliver a 6 out save.  

6 hours ago, Throwman91 said:

When Calhoun is gone we have 9 RHH without Ohtani and Valbuena nearly half the time, that's pretty brutal and a real oversight by Eppler when he dropped Revere and grabbed Blash, Young and Carter.  RHP will have a field day the remaining season.  Even with Calhoun we still have an ultra RHH lineup, what happened to valuing lefties?  And It's common baseball knowledge that they are the more valuable hitters based on the fact around 70% of pitchers are RHP.  I feel like this is one reason we are struggling especially late in games, opposing pitchers don't have to adjust and can attack the zone consistently, throwing less mistakes and our boys are swinging at pitcher's pitches all the time.

We have Ben Revere in the minors.