• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

A Few Thoughts

Point #1....So as I was saying last week I am not necessarily advocating Calhoun start dropping down all these bunts..... but whatever way possible he needs to keep the defense honest and spray the ball using the whole field. Bunting was just one idea to facilitate breaking the radical shift they play on him. As I mentioned last week I would prefer a strikeout vs. these weak rolled over ground balls.

Point #2.... Eric Young Jr. played very well last year.... he was a spark plug.... when Trout went down with an injury he helped keep our season alive. He can steal bases & do some other nice things. He also plays with a lot of emotion.... which I think is good for a baseball team. He cares about winning.

Point #3.... I have no idea why they signed Chris Young. 

Point #4... It's bad enough the Angels are on the hook for the Pujols & Valbuena salaries.... this year I am approximating around $40,000,000. But you are making a bad decision even worse when you jettison your first round pick CJ Cron who you have spent so much time & resources in developing and improving his defense. I do not think CJ Cron is a world beater but when the season started I predicted.... not on this board that he would hit .283 and hit 32 HR's. Which at least is giving you average production. We gave up CJ for a bag of peanuts.... even though between the 3 he is the best player.... because of the salaries.... that is so messed up.

Point #5..... I wanted Fletcher to start at 2b and use the money saved to sign some bullpen help.... instead we added Kinsler and whatever he is making? I am guessing around $10,000,000? And I am not a Kinsler basher... I just think the money could have been spent better elsewhere.

Point #6A.... Quit playing scared to win.... There is NO reason Shohei cannot DH more.... or at least pinch hit with the game on the line instead of sending up less than desirables. Batting once in a game is less tiring than having sex at night..... are the Angels regulating his sex the night before he pitches? I doubt it.... so that being the case let him play.... Bad News Bears reference there.

Point #6B.... Let or tell Trout to steal..... what is his track record this year on stolen bases? 90%? If that gives you the win.... than do not manage scared.

Some of this falls on Mr. Scioscia.... & I say that respectfully I am sure when it comes to baseball he is a frickin genius..... But if someone with a lot less knowledge of the game can see these things.... shouldn't he? 

Thank you all for taking the time to read this.... I guess I  am just really pissed that they lose these games that I feel like are so winnable.

Sorry forgot Point #7..... If you are a MLB player and you do not know how to bunt than you should not be on the roster...... EVERYBODY should know that skill because at some point you may be called upon in Game 7 of the World Series to do it. And I do not want to hear about how hard bunting is..... it is a lot easier to bunt a 95 mph fastball..... than to take a stride and full swing and try and hit the ball..... all these MLB players can hit the ball..... well except for the pitchers..... but than again that is why they are bunting all the time..... because it is a much easier skill set to learn.

Thank you.

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'm pretty pissed too. We should be destroying this team. 25 LOB is pathetic. 

Pujols & Calhoun are no bueno.

That is a great point. We are so much better on paper than the Twins. We should be destroying them. A 4 game sweep and there season would have ended. We are keeping the Twins season on life support.

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'm pretty pissed too. We should be destroying this team. 25 LOB is pathetic. 

Pujols & Calhoun are no bueno.

Did they really left 25 base runners on base, tonight? Damn!

And about Trout stealing bases, I'm would love to see Trout steal 30-40 bases a year like he did in his first couple of seasons and in 2016. He's becoming a complete hitter again, hitting for high average and power.

We can't let Ohtani pinch hit the night before he pitches because he might be hit on the hand and break a bone and be out for two months. That's basically the 'thinking' of some here.

According to that logic he shouldn't be hitting at all. Keep him locked up in a safe place and bring his fragile self out every Sunday afternoon for a few hours.

1 minute ago, JustATroutFan said:

And about Trout stealing bases, I'm would love to see Trout steal 30-40 bases a year like he did in his first couple of seasons and in 2016. He's becoming a complete hitter again, hitting for high average and power.

yeah me too. I remember when he had 49 stolen bases.... and on the last day of the season he was thrown out trying to steal second against the Mariners..... still upset about that. I would love for him to be the first 60/60 player in history.

2 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

That's what the box score says. 

1 minute ago, fan_since79 said:

We can't let Ohtani pinch hit the night before he pitches because he might be hit on the hand and break a bone and be out for two months. That's basically the 'thinking' of some here.

According to that logic he shouldn't be hitting at all. Keep him locked up in a safe place and bring his fragile self out every Sunday afternoon for a few hours.

Yeah I saw storm.... whatever post that earlier. He seems like a smart guy.... so I was surprised he said that. Your point is spot on. If you are that worried about him getting hurt than they should just lock him up with the fragile china.

5 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Actually that is the thinking of the Angels and the Nippon Ham Fighters.

8 minutes ago, Griffey's Corner said:

yeah me too. I remember when he had 49 stolen bases.... and on the last day of the season he was thrown out trying to steal second against the Mariners..... still upset about that. I would love for him to be the first 60/60 player in history.

Trout did go away from being a great all around player that he was from 2012-2013 in 2014 and somewhat in 2015. His stolen bases were shockingly down. I was getting kind of worried that he would choose to being a great player but one that wasn't stealing a lot of bases. That does not make him not great but it's more exciting to see him run more and put more pressure on the pitchers.

At least he fixed that issue in 2016 and last year. Looks like he is going to be a great all around player again this year.

Just now, JustATroutFan said:

Trout did go away from being a great all around player that was from 2012-2013 in 2014 and somewhat in 2015. His stolen bases were shockingly down. I was getting kind of worried that he would choose to being a great player but one that wasn't stealing a lot of bases. That does not make him not great but it's more exciting to see him run more and put more pressure on the pitchers.

At least he fixed that issue in 2016 and last year. Looks like he is going to be a great all around player again this year.

When the Angels were winning last year.... despite all the problems they had. It was when they were stealing a lot of bases with Maybin & company. Stealing bases is a great way to win ballgames. It screws with the pitcher.... they are distracted.... they throw more fastballs. It puts a lot of pressure on the defense. And speed rarely goes into slumps.

Just now, SuperTroopers said:

Yes, I will let the actual people getting paid to handle the once in a 100 year player decide how to best utilize him over the course of a season.  Thank you for asking.  

Good to know that you assume they are perfect.... so I guess that we will no longer need your services on this message board.... as clearly you are done with critiquing.

1 minute ago, Griffey's Corner said:

When the Angels were winning last year.... despite all the problems they had. It was when they were stealing a lot of bases with Maybin & company. Stealing bases is a great way to win ballgames. It screws with the pitcher.... they are distracted.... they throw more fastballs. It puts a lot of pressure on the defense. And speed rarely goes into slumps.

Fat Mike used to manage like that. NL-like baseball, bunt guys over, steal bases, hit and run, go from 1st to 3rd on a single, etc. I was a fan of how the Angels played. How they used to play like was just awesome. Of course, it also helps when they had guys like Figgins, Abreu, Willits, Orlando Cabrera, Vladdy, and even Torii that could execute that style of play. But I don't see Fat Mike letting Trout run more or hit and run anymore or any of that stuff.  

3 minutes ago, Griffey's Corner said:

Good to know that you assume they are perfect.... so I guess that we will no longer need your services on this message board.... as clearly you are done with critiquing.

Hey new guy, shut it.  It isn’t critiquing it is bitching.  Everyone wants Ohtani to do more.  He is a pitcher first.  Does Sherzer play everyday?  How bout Kershaw?  Sale?  Richards?  No, none of them do.  He has a unique set of skills.  If you don’t want him on the team because we play a man down the game before he starts, ok, find a thread and bring it up.  If people would get it through their heads that he is a pitcher, that DH’s 3 to 4 times a game then we wouldn’t get stupid posts and expectations.  

5 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

Fat Mike used to manage like that. NL-like baseball, bunt guys over, steal bases, hit and run, go from 1st to 3rd on a single, etc. I was a fan of how the Angels played. How they used to play like was just awesome. Of course, it also helps when they had guys like Figgins, Abreu, Willits, Orlando Cabrera, Vladdy, and even Torii that could execute that style of play. But I don't see Fat Mike letting Trout run more or hit and run anymore or any of that stuff.  

Trout has the green light, he can steal at will.  

1 minute ago, SuperTroopers said:

Hey new guy, shut it.  It isn’t critiquing it is bitching.  Everyone wants Ohtani to do more.  He is a pitcher first.  Does Sherzer play everyday?  How bout Kershaw?  Sale?  Richards?  No, none of them do.  He has a unique set of skills.  If you don’t want him on the team because we play a man down the game before he starts, ok, find a thread and bring it up.  If people would get it through their heads that he is a pitcher, that DH’s 3 to 4 times a game then we wouldn’t get stupid posts and expectations.  

Where are you pulling the idea that I do not want Showtime on the team??? I think going forward I will ignore your comments and that would be best for everyone involved. It's one thing to deal with a belligerent.... but it's a whole added element when they are riding on the special bus.

If you want to defer and say that you trust the paid professionals judgement than that comment can easily extend to any critiquing there is on any topic..... so by your logic you should never comment on anything.

And any complaining or commenting or critiquing that you do.... any of us on the message board can dismiss you by using your own words and tell you that we will trust the paid professionals over your opinion.

1 minute ago, Griffey's Corner said:

Where are you pulling the idea that I do not want Showtime on the team??? I think going forward I will ignore your comments and that would be best for everyone involved. It's one thing to deal with a belligerent.... but it's a whole added element when they are riding on the special bus.

If you want to defer and say that you trust the paid professionals judgement than that comment can easily extend to any critiquing there is on any topic..... so by your logic you should never comment on anything.

And any complaining or commenting or critiquing that you do.... any of us on the message board can dismiss you by using your own words and tell you that we will trust the paid professionals over your opinion.

I agree, I was right.  Thanks.  By the way new guy, I quoted someone else.  You asked me if I had a point, so it was you that started this interaction.  So if you don’t want to be engaged, then simply don’t ask me a question.  As for your nonsense about not being critical about anything, if you can’t see the handling of Ohtani as being specialized, I don’t know what to tell you.  He came over and he has kept his same routine he had in Japan.  Do you think that is coincidence?  There is a delicate balance to allow him to hit and to pitch, but that isn’t enough for so many people, they want more.  They are already getting more, but it still isn’t enough.  He hasn’t played the outfield since 2015.  Jeff Fletcher has even stated on this board he shows very little interest to do so.  But people want that, they want him to pinch hit the game before he starts.  Do I want him to, sure, am I going to bitch and complain and act like it isn’t a big deal, no, because I am capable of understanding what we are seeing.