• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rookie of the Year Competition

CubsFan, you can't be serious with this. Please tell me your being sarcastic.

Shohei Ohtani is a rookie. You maybe don't know this.

2 minutes ago, CubsFan said:

It's a long season but right now I think Gleyber Torres is tearing it up and maybe the front runner in the AL. (Cubs never should've traded him) 

which other rookies are doing well?

10 minutes ago, CubsFan said:

It's a long season but right now I think Gleyber Torres is tearing it up and maybe the front runner in the AL. (Cubs never should've traded him) 

Are you serious?  They finally won a WS and you're concerned about a rookie they traded to get their WS closer? 

19 minutes ago, stormngt said:

The more I follow war the more I am skeptical on its accuracy. 

I've always been skeptical, for a few reasons.  The weights are subjective, dont really take situational issues into account, and are horribly skewed defensively... 
But its still probably the best measurement we have statistically speaking.  

33 minutes ago, CubsFan said:

Would the cubs have a world series ring if they didn't trade him? Any Ohtani is much more impressive they Greybar.

Barring an injury or collapse, Ohtani is winning this.  The novelty of what he is doing (dual hitter/pitcher) will not be lost on voters.  Even if Torres has a great rookie year, there have been many rookies to come through and hit well or pitch well, but how many rookies have come through the pipeline and done both?  That will ultimately make the difference, IMO.

One doesn't know how the majority of the baseball writers will vote.

You would hope they would say dual threat phenom ROY end of story.

But this is a unique situation and if you get enough traditionalist with horseshoes up their behinds, who split Ohtanis stats in half instead of aggregating them fully anything can happen.  Especially if you have competiton that has stud full time plate appearance numbers or Othanis era slips to 4.50

i think the year 21 year old Ruben Sierra was up for MVP is a prime example.  Sierra has the best numbers by far and everyone thought he was going to win MVP.  

The Rangers setup a press conference for him with all his friends and family.  It was like Tommy DeVito being Made.  The excitement was palpable for the MVP coronation.

and then the announcement was made . . . The baseball writers voted veteran Robin Yount!

Sierra never recovered from that embarrassment and humiliation and let it effect him mentally.  Instead of being the rising franchise superstar favorite son that everyone around the league praised that bitterness turned him into a career journeyman and a what if squandering of potential.

Point is anything can happen especially where there isn't some set criteria on top of this being a unique case that we really haven't come across before

4 hours ago, CubsFan said:

Torres

torres.png.6562b49ed57b70c751803c5a12a748b7.png

Ohtani

836570997_ohtanibat.png.17d9fa60e1e4fd0915d9400ee8a521ba.png

Ohtani also has 3 wins on the mound... I doubt it's even close at this moment. Ohtani ROY

23 minutes ago, CubsFan said:

One doesn't know how the majority of the baseball writers will vote.

You would hope they would say dual threat phenom ROY end of story.

But this is a unique situation and if you get enough traditionalist with horseshoes up their behinds, who split Ohtanis stats in half instead of aggregating them fully anything can happen.  Especially if you have competiton that has stud full time plate appearance numbers or Othanis era slips to 4.50

i think the year 21 year old Ruben Sierra was up for MVP is a prime example.  Sierra has the best numbers by far and everyone thought he was going to win MVP.  

The Rangers setup a press conference for him with all his friends and family.  It was like Tommy DeVito being Made.  The excitement was palpable for the MVP coronation.

and then the announcement was made . . . The baseball writers voted veteran Robin Yount!

Sierra never recovered from that embarrassment and humiliation and let it effect him mentally.  Instead of being the rising franchise superstar favorite son that everyone around the league praised that bitterness turned him into a career journeyman and a what if squandering of potential.

Point is anything can happen especially where there isn't some set criteria on top of this being a unique case that we really haven't come across before

You are correct in that no one knows exactly how they vote, but these are intelligent people, and I am guessing they can easily see the novelty and difficulty of what Ohtani is attempting.  The media is all over the fact that Ohtani is the first legitimate dual threat player since Babe Ruth - it's been replayed over and over again.  If we simply just take Ohtani's current level of production and project it over the rest of the season, he's a slam dunk to win ROY.

11 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

It's not clear to me who votes for rookie of the month.  Just says the league votes for it.

with rookie of the year, it's the baseball writers of America.

3 minutes ago, CubsFan said:

It's not clear to me who votes for rookie of the month.  Just says the league votes for it.

with rookie of the year, it's the baseball writers of America.

from what i've been reading in this thread, you don't seem to think the writers think much of ohtani. is that an accurate assessment?

i think many of us are curious why you started this thread to begin with.

20 minutes ago, Tank said:

from what i've been reading in this thread, you don't seem to think the writers think much of ohtani. is that an accurate assessment?

i think many of us are curious why you started this thread to begin with.

I don't think one can know what the writers are thinking till they vote.  We see this in the HOF and the time.  Do they eliminate someone because of the steroid era (bonds, Clemens, Sosa) or will they make an exception (ARoid).

As far as point of the thread i wanted to see if there is any legit competition for Shohei in the AL besides Gleyber Torres since I don't really follow any other team in the AL.

At this point, there is no competition, if the vote was today i cant imagine any scenario that Ohtani doesn't garner all 1st place votes.
Expecting any other response on this forum wasn't likely to happen but in truth it should be the same answer anywhere.  
right now its Ohtani and everyone else. 
Torres is off to a hot start, but Ohtani's has been hotter not even counting pitching, that basically ends of debate as of right now. 
We'll see where things end, its still early, but that's where we are as of May 11

41 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

It'll be pretty neck and neck.

Shohei Ohtani vs. Jaime Barria vs. Justin Anderson...

This is fantastic! we have three guys that if they continue to perform, could all be in the top 10 rookie class of this year. maybe even top 5. question: When was the last time the Angels had 3 rookies that did place in the top 10 for rookie of the year? or has anyone ever had 3 rookies place in the top 5? I have no idea!!!