• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Richards

4 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

He's still nibbling too much, even during the 4th and 5th innings last night.   To go from 42 pitches after 3 innings to 80 pitches after 5 innings, despite a 2 hit shutout after 5 innings, is NOT a good thing. 

He clearly doesn't trust his stuff. All the physical tools are there, he needs to stick to the plan and let his stuff speak for itself. That's what separates the greats from the uncle ricco's.

They're giving him a long leash and I imagine just happy he's healthy enough to be on the mound. 

It's been 2+ years since he was healthy enough to do this, I think he'll come around as the season continues. In the couple seasons where he did make it through mostly healthy, he usually started a little shaky before getting into a rhythm. 

25 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

He's still nibbling too much, even during the 4th and 5th innings last night.   To go from 42 pitches after 3 innings to 80 pitches after 5 innings, despite a 2 hit shutout after 5 innings, is NOT a good thing. 

I am curious, what is the average pitch count per inning?  I always thought it was around 15 which would take the pitcher 90 to complete six innings.  

He’s always been a high pitch count guy. It’s the way he pitches. You can’t really turn him into something he’s not. 

It’s reasonable to expect him to get 7 innings on 105 pitches or so. With his injury history, it looks like they’d rather keep him at more like 95. 

He threw 6.2 IP on 88 in his previous start. 

8 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

He’s always been a high pitch count guy. It’s the way he pitches. You can’t really turn him into something he’s not. 

It’s reasonable to expect him to get 7 innings on 105 pitches or so. With his injury history, it looks like they’d rather keep him at more like 95. 

He threw 6.2 IP on 88 in his previous start. 

I think that's a standard for pitchers who go for strikeouts. If he's trying to change that to avoid injury and go deeper into games, I would think he needs to pound the zone more and pitch to contact.

3 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

I don't know why some people are complaining about Richards' outing last night.  So he gave up a home run to Dozier.  Richards did not walk anybody last night.  63 strikes in 94 pitches.  I'm certainly not ready to let him walk in free agency.

I know why I was complaining last night - he’s got a 4 run lead, 2 guys get on, then he throws a meatball right down the middle to Dozier.

1 hour ago, Torridd said:

Does anyone know if there's been any discussion between he and management regarding Garrett's pitch count and erraticness?

Come on everyone... He gave up a IF hit on a close play at 1B, and then a ground ball single through the left side of the IF when Simmons was drawn out of position on a hit and run play. Actually he had 1 bad pitch, the 3 run HR. I still think he will be fine.

The Angels have won 6 of his 8 starts.

We Angel fans want what we want.

We want starters who throw complete game shut-outs and if we have to have a closer - they'd better be lights-out, strike-out-the-side kind of guys, who don't walk anyone either.  Anything short of that and we're going to crucify them. 

Now that we're clear.  Let's keep talking.

In all seriousness - Richards is still somewhat of a work in progress since coming back from his injury.  He's getting there though.  I'll gladly take this version of him over not having him at all.  It will be interesting to see if the Angels end up negotiating an extension with him.

4 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Come on everyone... He gave up a IF hit on a close play at 1B, and then a ground ball single through the left side of the IF when Simmons was drawn out of position on a hit and run play. Actually he had 1 bad pitch, the 3 run HR. I still think he will be fine.

The Angels have won 6 of his 8 starts.

People will complain if he wins 9 out of his 8 starts. It is very rare that I actually blame the player. Its like blaming a dog for chewing up your shoes. You blame the person in charge of controlling the dog.

54 minutes ago, True Grich said:

In all seriousness - Richards is still somewhat of a work in progress since coming back from his injury.  He's getting there though.  I'll gladly take this version of him over not having him at all.  It will be interesting to see if the Angels end up negotiating an extension with him.

If he's healthy, they'll want him. No doubt about that.