• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ohtani Batting Average

5 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

I’m thinking you’ll be frustrated all year doing stuff like this.  He simply won’t qualify, nor will he next year.  

If he bats the day after and day before he pitches i believe he can qualify.

Either way not bad for a pitcher who needs to go down to the minors to learn how to hit.

7 minutes ago, CubsFan said:

If he bats the day after and day before he pitches i believe he can qualify.

Either way not bad for a pitcher who needs to go down to the minors to learn how to hit.

He’s not going to bat before and after his starts.  Maybe down the stretch you might see the day after and increased pinch hitting opportunities but he’s not going to play everyday.  No pitcher does, he won’t be the first. 

12 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

He’s not going to bat before and after his starts.  Maybe down the stretch you might see the day after and increased pinch hitting opportunities but he’s not going to play everyday.  No pitcher does, he won’t be the first. 

Agreed, and I think we might not even see him bat before/after he starts until the playoffs.  

As has been mapped out, I suspect we opted for Sunday starts for Shohei since we have a lot of Monday off days, which will enable him to appear in more games overall.  Still, that said, he won't ever qualify for a batting title or anything along those lines, but honestly, who cares?  What we want is one of the top players in the game healthy and producing, and that's what we currently have right now.

7 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

“Qualifying” is about stupidest thing ever. 

I know Jose Altuve won the “batting title” last year but I could only vaguely tell you who I think may have won in any previous year. And this is my job. 

Until Simmons wins it this year... lol just kidding. Seriously though the dude just sprays the ball all over the field. Who could have imagined his offense being this good when we made that trade ?

9 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

“Qualifying” is about stupidest thing ever. 

I know Jose Altuve won the “batting title” last year but I could only vaguely tell you who I think may have won in any previous year. And this is my job. 

I don't think it's that hard.  Boggs, Gwynn for sure.  Mattingly.  Carew.  Ted Williams.

1 minute ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

You’ve picked 5 guys who played over a 75-year span, and off the top of my head I am not sure Mattingly ever won.

Who won either league in 2015?

I wasn't watching or following baseball in 2015.  So have no idea.

usually though when I am following throughout the year (especially if playoff fantasy baseball) I will know the big 3, batting average, homerun and rbi. Plus stolen bases.

Of course things may have changed.  Back at the turn of the century the newspaper was more prominent and the sports pages would always have those categories updated daily and it was something to follow.

now with all the different media platforms and being inundated with stats on the internet might be information overload for a lot of people.

8 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

You’ve picked 5 guys who played over a 75-year span, and off the top of my head I am not sure Mattingly ever won.

Who won either league in 2015?

Dee Gordon won the NL Batting Title in 2015. Of course, we now know that a big reason why he won it was because he cheated. 

8 minutes ago, True Grich said:

I wonder if has sunk in yet... the magnitude of what Ohtani is doing. It's amazing that he can be this consistent, not playing every day.

It's actually pretty impressive.  Obviously he will never have the home run or rbi numbers

but with BA, On base, slugging and OPS to be towards the top this far into the season is phenomenal.

the media hasn't seemed to really focus on his batting average but who Would've thought he would be second in the league at this point.  (If he quailified)

and this coming from a big towering  power guy.  

14 minutes ago, True Grich said:

I wonder if has sunk in yet... the magnitude of what Ohtani is doing. It's amazing that he can be this consistent, not playing every day.

It hasn’t sunk in, because if it had people would understand why he won’t be playing the day before or the day after he pitches.  

Just now, SuperTroopers said:

It hasn’t sunk in, because if it had people would understand why he won’t be playing the day before or the day after he pitches.  

Didn't Ohtani say, himself he wanted to bat the day before and after he pitches?

Just now, Dick Enberg said:

if Othani doesn't get enough at bats to qualify for the batting title, can he still get awards, like rookie of the year?

I believe rookie of the year, you just need to play a certain number of games to qualify as a rookie.

MPV and Cy Young I don't think there are any qualification minimums but obviously the more stats you have the better.

CubsFan - Yup... he's impressive to watch. The swing is awesome.  His whole story is interesting.  He came to the majors with some leverage.  I mean, is he really this unique or have there been other players who would have been capable of being a two way player at the same level?  When I stop and really think about what's happening - it blows my mind.  And he's doing it all for the league minimum - when he could have waited to made tons more.  I can't imagine what kind of contract he'll get if he continues to be this good.

4 minutes ago, Dick Enberg said:

if Othani doesn't get enough at bats to qualify for the batting title, can he still get awards, like rookie of the year?

The answer is yes. On top of my head, Wil Myers, now with the Padres, won AL Rookie of the Year with just a little less than 400 (373 to be exact) plate appearances in 2013.  

4 minutes ago, True Grich said:

CubsFan - Yup... he's impressive to watch. The swing is awesome.  His whole story is interesting.  He came to the majors with some leverage.  I mean, is he really this unique or have there been other players who would have been capable of being a two way player at the same level?  When I stop and really think about what's happening - it blows my mind.  And he's doing it all for the league minimum - when he could have waited to made tons more.  I can't imagine what kind of contract he'll get if he continues to be this good.

I guess what's mind boggling is that everyone assumed he would be starter quality stuff but we were sold a bag of goods by the media and scouts that he would not be able to hit at all at this level.  At the very least the expectations were tempered to him being an average hitter at best.