• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trade Market!!!!

Hamels will be available.  He's not what he used to be but I can't imagine he's going to cost much in terms of talent.  If Kinsler doesn't pan out and Cozart gets moved to 2nd then expand the deal to include Beltre and it still won't cost you Adell.  Expand it even further to include Jepson .... well, then it will probably cost you Adell and Trout.

I just threw Fullmer’s name out there because he’s the most costly starter (in terms of talent) who has a chance to be moved this summer, and he’s not out of the question because of the farm depth the Angels now have. That was the point. 

There are going to be a ton of guys available because there are so many tanking teams. 

Bullpen: Herrera, Colome, Hand, Britton, etc. (Only Hand would cost more than 1 good prospect. The others would be 1 mid level guy probably, like Grayson Long last year.)

Starters: Fulmer, Hamels, Bailey, Cobb, Samardzija, Duffy, Kennedy, Teheran (if the Braves come back to earth), etc.

Probably one of the non-Hand relievers and one of the non-Fulmer/Cobb starters could both be done for 1 top 10 and 2 top 20 prospects. 

Also, none of this is going to even be discussed for another month.

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

15 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I just threw Fullmer’s name out there because he’s the most costly starter (in terms of talent) who has a chance to be moved this summer, and he’s not out of the question because of the farm depth the Angels now have. That was the point. 

There are going to be a ton of guys available because there are so many tanking teams. 

Bullpen: Herrera, Colome, Hand, Britton, etc. (Only Hand would cost more than 1 good prospect. The others would be 1 mid level guy probably, like Grayson Long last year.)

Starters: Fulmer, Hamels, Bailey, Cobb, Samardzija, Duffy, Kennedy, Teheran (if the Braves come back to earth), etc.

Probably one of the non-Hand relievers and one of the non-Fulmer/Cobb starters could both be done for 1 top 10 and 2 top 20 prospects. 

This is the one to go after, IMO.  Hand is the true prize and he fills two of our needs at once (closer + another lefty in the pen), but obviously he would cost the most.  I would be willing to part with more talent for someone like Hand, but it ultimately just depends on how much the Padres want.

Alternatively, if the cost for him is too high, Herrera is a good consolation prize.  He's due to be a FA, so since he's on an expiring contract, I agree that his overall cost shouldn't be too high.  

Or, I can just be greedy and say let's get both!  Imagine for a second, in the playoffs:  Hand + Herrera pitch the 8th/9th innings (depending on lefty/right matchup), Anderson/Middleton/Alvarez combine for the 6th/7th, and Johnson/Ramirez combine to cover the 5th (or 4th?!) depending on how many innings our starter actually goes.  Our pen would rival the Yankees for best in baseball.  Ah, if only...

In terms of starters, I am happy with who we have currently.  In the playoffs, we likely just try to get 5 or so innings out of our starter, then turn it over to the bullpen.  Most teams seem to be following this general model nowadays.

12 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

This is why i love having him here, brutal and honest. 
I'm curious Jeff, in your view why are so many teams tanking?  Whats the point or benefit to doing so in your opinion?

3 minutes ago, floplag said:

This is why i love having him here, brutal and honest. 
I'm curious Jeff, in your view why are so many teams tanking?  Whats the point or benefit to doing so in your opinion?

I am not Jeff nor do I have his wisdom, but I will take a stab at this:

Tanking teams get better draft picks (due to having worse records), and come the trading deadline, they can trade their players for future young talent that they can cultivate and, hopefully, arrive around the same time to form a strong, young nucleus.

The Cubs and Astros both famously did this, and it led to their title years.  The Braves and Phillies are teams in the midst of this process, and we are already seeing the positive effects of it for those two franchises.  The White Sox and Tigers just started, so we'll see where that goes for them.

It's not just in baseball that we see this.  Basketball is notorious for having teams that completely tank in order to rebuild their core.

5 minutes ago, floplag said:

I’m not Jeff but I’d gladly take a stab at an answer. The teams tanking are either poorly constructed, i.e. Reds, Pads, White Sox, Orioles, or because their ownership sold out the fans like the Miami Jeters.

3 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I am not Jeff nor do I have his wisdom, but I will take a stab at this:

Tanking teams get better draft picks (due to having worse records), and come the trading deadline, they can trade their players for future young talent that they can cultivate and, hopefully, arrive around the same time to form a strong, young nucleus.

The Cubs and Astros both famously did this, and it led to their title years.  The Braves and Phillies are teams in the midst of this process, and we are already seeing the positive effects of it for those two franchises.  The White Sox and Tigers just started, so we'll see where that goes for them.

It's not just in baseball that we see this.  Basketball is notorious for having teams that completely tank in order to rebuild their core.

Ha, I think we were both writing that we aren’t Jeff at the same time.

I’d love to have two arms added to the pen and if you can reasonably acquire a legit big time arm, that could slot in a game two or three I would be pretty damn pumped.  Maybe add a 4th outfielder that can pinch run, get a bunt down, play good defense.  Someone that would be useful going into a playoff series.  

A few names to consider

Tyson Ross is rebounding nicely, only a one year deal so should not cost much  

Gio Gonzalez- if the Nats some how are out of the race ( Due to Injuries) Gio is a consideration. He on his final year of his contract but is pitching like a solid 2.

Doolittle- same case as Gio.