• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bold moves to fix the offense

So it appears we have found a way to help fix our offense:  put Cozart back in the leadoff spot!  He has responded well so far today.  Granted, #Coors and all, but a 2B and a HR in 2ABs is very encouraging to see.  He appears to enjoy hitting in front of Trout ;)

1 hour ago, floplag said:

Well, do you think these few days have helped him at all?  He was rolling, hes not now.  
There is a difference between a proven ML vet with years of stat averages versus a rookie who exceeded in a hitter league.   I would have thought you might now know that. 

Of course I know that, but what does that have to do with whether or not it is valid to give Jabari a chance? And help him with what? His goal is to reach the major leagues - which he just did. Calhoun is "hitting" like a pitcher with no sign of breaking out of it, so the Angels are giving the guy who is destroying AAA a chance. I don't see the issue. It isn't like Jabari is a 20-year old kid that they're rushing, whose development is in danger. I don't think he needs more seasoning in AAA. What he needs is a chance to show that he can adjust to the majors, and the only way to do that is play in the majors.

If he doesn't adjust it has nothing to do with him being called up now. I don't see what he can do in AAA to improve himself. He is what he is.

19 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Of course I know that, but what does that have to do with whether or not it is valid to give Jabari a chance? And help him with what? His goal is to reach the major leagues - which he just did. Calhoun is "hitting" like a pitcher with no sign of breaking out of it, so the Angels are giving the guy who is destroying AAA a chance. I don't see the issue. It isn't like Jabari is a 20-year old kid that they're rushing, whose development is in danger. I don't think he needs more seasoning in AAA. What he needs is a chance to show that he can adjust to the majors, and the only way to do that is play in the majors.

If he doesn't adjust it has nothing to do with him being called up now. I don't see what he can do in AAA to improve himself. He is what he is.

Fair enough, but unless he was expected to hit over 250 we already had a couple guys for the 4th OF role, i see no point to it unless hes likely to be a permanent replacement, which is in my opinion a reach. 
no matter its done, but calling up the rest of the top guys at this point would be foolish in my opinion. 

3 hours ago, stormngt said:

I agree that Calhoun needs to go down and get his confidence back.

I like Fernandez "leeching starts" as you call it.

Calhoun should get his another chance before giving up on him.  I dont want Fernandez taking starts from Marte as he has played well to date.  

No worries ... Angels are not giving up on Calhoun this season ... only AW fans 

3 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

No worries ... Angels are not giving up on Calhoun this season ... only AW fans 

This is a bit melodramatic. Thinking he should be sent down is not giving up on him, and I don’t see anyone suggesting he should be released. Kole is in bad shape and needs time to try to fix whatever is wrong in a context that isn’t hurting the team, which he is right now.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

This is a bit melodramatic. Thinking he should be sent down is not giving up on him, and I don’t see anyone suggesting he should be released. Kole is in bad shape and needs time to try to fix whatever is wrong in a context that isn’t hurting the team, which he is right now.

I think TD thinks that I'm lobbying for Calhoun's release. On the contrary, all I want is production in RF. 

The best way to fix Calhoun is give him time to clear his head and give him AB's in an environment where he can succeed. Put him in extended spring training to retool his swing, then let him unleash it on the hitter friendly PCL to boost his confidence, and then put him back in the majors.

In the mean time, roll with Blash.

And when the offseason comes, if Hermosillo develops the way I think he will, trade Kole and insert Herm. And even then, Marsh and Adell look like they'll be ready in 2021, so it might only be a couple years.

3 hours ago, SuperTroopers said:

My bold moves:

Stay Patient

Fix bullpen

Yeah, I largely agree with that.  I think our offense overall is fine.  Despite our nifty start to the season, we won't have a top 3 offense, but that's alright - we should have a pretty good offense though.  Coupled with good starting pitching and an elite defense, that should take us pretty far.

The bullpen isn't as in dire shape as it may appear, at least in my mind.  We have a number of pretty good pitchers, and Anderson's emergence from seemingly nowhere has been absolutely huge.  Middleton, Anderson, Alvarez, Johnson, Ramirez... this is a pretty good core overall.  Maybe not an elite one, but a pretty good one I'd say.  

I mentioned this in another thread, but ideally, I'd love to trade for a legitimate closer like Brad Hand or Felipe Vazquez.  It'd give us our second lefty and we'd gain a cost-controlled, dominant closer for a number of years.  We'd then have a pen that's 6 pitchers deep, and the last 1-2 spots can be occupied by guys that we can, ideally, shuttle back and forth between the minors and majors.