• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bold moves to fix the offense

Trout is basically the offense right now. Pujols is doing everything a 40 year old can do, Ohtani's getting it done when he's in, Simmons is singling the opposition to death and Upton is beginning to catch fire.

What do all these guys have in common? They hit in the middle of the lineup.

If the Angels want men on base when Trout, Upton or Ohtani drive a baseball into the seats, they may need to make a bold move here.

1. Jose Miguel Fernandez can play 1B, 2B and 3B, has more walks than strikeouts, hits left handed and is currently sporting a .427 OBP in AAA.

2. Michael Hermosillo is catching fire in AAA and owns a career OBP of .367 in the minors. He could get on base in front Trout and also be dangerous on the base paths.

3. David Fletcher can play an elite defensive 2B, and has a .407 OBP in AAA this year with more walks than strikeouts and has even added 3 SB, Houchins his minor league track record before AAA isn't quite as impressive. Still, he draws comps with Eck for a reason.

What do you guys think? 

Is Hermosillo really catching fire in AAA? His slash line down there still looks pretty bad. Worse than the last time I checked, actually. I fully expect him to come up very quickly if he starts hitting down there. It would be VERY hard to justify not starting him in left if he is doing well in AAA right now.

Those are bold moves indeed... probably too bold for this team.  I can't see them adding THREE new, young faces to the lineup now.  I do like your idea though.  Maybe if it was over the next two seasons it would be more likely?

Yeah, Hermosillo has just 8 walks to 38 strikeouts. For a league with big spacious ballparks he's only hitting .252. He is hitting for more power 6 HR and stealing bases, (6), but he needs some time down there to work on stuff. 

I'm fine with Blash/Young for now, but if Kinsler continues to suck we may need to look at replacing him with David Fletcher or JMF. 

33 minutes ago, krAbs said:

Is Hermosillo really catching fire in AAA? His slash line down there still looks pretty bad. Worse than the last time I checked, actually. I fully expect him to come up very quickly if he starts hitting down there. It would be VERY hard to justify not starting him in left if he is doing well in AAA right now.

4 hits in his last four games, has homered in consecutive games and is now beginning to adopt a more balanced, whole field approach instead of the pull heavy approach from before.

The pull heavy approach definitely works in the minors, but won't in the majors as much, which is partially why he's moving out of his comfort zone and likely sacrificing production right now in return for production in the future.

Hermosillo and Fletcher don't make the offense any better. Calhoun (and Blash) would rake AAA pitching better than Hermosillo has. None of that matters until you do it in the pros really. Fernandez, maybe but I guarantee you Eppler likes Kinsler's glove.

I really don't see Herm as more than a 4th OF. He's better than Blash, but not someone you want getting starts this year

And if we want more offense, why not just move Cozart to 2nd and play Marte at 3rd more? 

At least Marte is somewhat proven hitting MLB pitching

I think all of these moves are too hasty right now.  The young talent is very promising, but it's too early to give up on some of our established veterans.  We're about 1.5 months into the season.  Kinsler missed close to 2 weeks, so he's had less than one month of baseball.  If these guys are still scuffling in another 1-1.5 months, then we can start moving on.

In the meanwhile, let the kids continue to get regular playing time in the minors and further develop.  

Just now, GrittyVeterans said:

Hermosillo and Fletcher don't make the offense any better. Calhoun (and Blash) would rake AAA pitching better than Hermosillo has. None of that matters until you do it in the pros really. Fernandez, maybe but I guarantee you Eppler likes Kinsler's glove.

And if we want more offense, why not just move Cozart to 2nd and play Marte at 3rd more? 

At least Marte is somewhat proven hitting MLB pitching

Marte is not a passable major league 3B.

Calhoun wouldn't tear up even A+ ball right now. 

Herm is making adjustments in AAA, if you watched the games I think you'd see what he's trying to do.

But you're right about JMF.

1 minute ago, Scotty@AW said:

Marte is not a passable major league 3B.

Calhoun wouldn't tear up even A+ ball right now. 

Herm is making adjustments in AAA, if you watched the games I think you'd see what he's trying to do.

But you're right about JMF.

Well, neither is Valbeuana but they don't mind playing him there. At least Marte rakes against Lefties.

That bit about Calhoun is silly, dude.The Major Leagues are hard

You're right I haven't seen Hermosillo but his minor league track record does not scream MLB starter to me at all. I could very well be wrong and I hope I am

17 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

4 hits in his last four games, has homered in consecutive games and is now beginning to adopt a more balanced, whole field approach instead of the pull heavy approach from before.

The pull heavy approach definitely works in the minors, but won't in the majors as much, which is partially why he's moving out of his comfort zone and likely sacrificing production right now in return for production in the future.

Okay, I buy that. I'd still wanna give him a couple of weeks to see some consistency. I imagine the Angel's front office is thinking the same.

I wonder how short the leash is with Kinsler. On the one hand, he is a defensively talented skilled aggressive veteran. On the other, he is aging badly, and he isn't going to be a long term solution. JMF might be, but I'm not sold on him on defense...that one will be interesting as well imo.

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

Trout is basically the offense right now. Pujols is doing everything a 40 year old can do, Ohtani's getting it done when he's in, Simmons is singling the opposition to death and Upton is beginning to catch fire.

What do all these guys have in common? They hit in the middle of the lineup.

If the Angels want men on base when Trout, Upton or Ohtani drive a baseball into the seats, they may need to make a bold move here.

1. Jose Miguel Fernandez can play 1B, 2B and 3B, has more walks than strikeouts, hits left handed and is currently sporting a .427 OBP in AAA.

2. Michael Hermosillo is catching fire in AAA and owns a career OBP of .367 in the minors. He could get on base in front Trout and also be dangerous on the base paths.

3. David Fletcher can play an elite defensive 2B, and has a .407 OBP in AAA this year with more walks than strikeouts and has even added 3 SB, Houchins his minor league track record before AAA isn't quite as impressive. Still, he draws comps with Eck for a reason.

What do you guys think? 

So what moves fo you make?

23 minutes ago, stormngt said:

So what moves fo you make?

Personally....

1. Send Calhoun to the DL with a phantom injury of some sort followed by a lengthy rehab in extended spring and AAA in hopes that he somehow fixes his swing.

2. Promite Jose Miguel Fernandez and let him start leeching starts from Cozart at 3B, Kinsler at 2B, Valbuena at 1B and Pujols at DH. Maybe only one a week from each so it doesn't hurt their rhythm while also providing JMF with the necessary at bats to get his feet under him.

3. Fletcher and Hermosillo both have some development left in AAA. But come July, I'd begin to look very hard at inserting them into the lineup.

4. Keep rolling Blash out in RF for now, but if Herm makes the adjustments or if Calhoun figures it out while on his "rehab" assignment, then make the switch. If Blash turns it on, let him run with it.

Why are people in such a hurry to gut the team?  I dont get it.  
Obviously guys are under performing so far, i get it, but were 35 games in, 7 games over 500, and staying toe to toe with Hou.  
Everybody wanted Blash... how has that worked out so far?    All weve done is stunt his growth and kill his confidence, woot!  
We finally get a farm and everyone wants to call everyone up long before they are actually ready.  Calling these kids up for part time duty does nothing for them, let them play every day, develop, get fully ready.
Barring injury it just makes no sense to me at this point unless you plan to outright release the veterans.

52 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Personally....

1. Send Calhoun to the DL with a phantom injury of some sort followed by a lengthy rehab in extended spring and AAA in hopes that he somehow fixes his swing.

2. Promite Jose Miguel Fernandez and let him start leeching starts from Cozart at 3B, Kinsler at 2B, Valbuena at 1B and Pujols at DH. Maybe only one a week from each so it doesn't hurt their rhythm while also providing JMF with the necessary at bats to get his feet under him.

3. Fletcher and Hermosillo both have some development left in AAA. But come July, I'd begin to look very hard at inserting them into the lineup.

4. Keep rolling Blash out in RF for now, but if Herm makes the adjustments or if Calhoun figures it out while on his "rehab" assignment, then make the switch. If Blash turns it on, let him run with it.

This is exactly what I'd do. Fernandez is the only one who I think will adjust to the majors relatively quickly; Herm in particular will probably struggle. I'd rather he and Fletcher stay in AAA for a bit longer as depth, until Herm takes another step forward and Fletcher performs consistently over time.

53 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Personally....

I agree that Calhoun needs to go down and get his confidence back.

I like Fernandez "leeching starts" as you call it.

Calhoun should get his another chance before giving up on him.  I dont want Fernandez taking starts from Marte as he has played well to date.  

40 minutes ago, floplag said:

Why are people in such a hurry to gut the team?  I dont get it.  
Obviously guys are under performing so far, i get it, but were 35 games in, 7 games over 500, and staying toe to toe with Hou.  
Everybody wanted Blash... how has that worked out so far?    All weve done is stunt his growth and kill his confidence, woot!  
We finally get a farm and everyone wants to call everyone up long before they are actually ready.  Calling these kids up for part time duty does nothing for them, let them play every day, develop, get fully ready.
Barring injury it just makes no sense to me at this point unless you plan to outright release the veterans.

Huh? It is strnage that you're crying "its early" but then saying that all of two games played has stunted Jabari's growth and killed his confidence. 

11 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Huh? It is strnage that you're crying "its early" but then saying that all of two games played has stunted Jabari's growth and killed his confidence. 

If any player has their confidence crushed after two games, then they should not be a major league player, lol.

36 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Well, do you think these few days have helped him at all?  He was rolling, hes not now.  
There is a difference between a proven ML vet with years of stat averages versus a rookie who exceeded in a hitter league.   I would have thought you might now know that.