• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Boy Scouts are Finished

26 minutes ago, red321 said:

For snowflakes who are worried that 6 year old boys will get corrupted by 6 year old girls

Congratulations, you have exposed 1% of the folks that don't like this decision.

Well done and typical of most political discussion these days.

8 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

Congratulations, you have exposed 1% of the folks that don't like this decision.

Well done and typical of most political discussion these days.

laugh

again, feel free to refer to the first post in this thread

3 hours ago, mtangelsfan said:

It seems to me that is what the left is focusing on.  Not the real discussion of whether the Boy Scouts should have girls.

1 hour ago, red321 said:

At one point Little League was primarily gender specific...the world changes (and based on the report that a little league coach had another team throw at the head of a girl player to get her to quit the league...more change is still required)

For the most part, yeah, I think gender specific organizations tend to be outdated.

The funny part is that it seems, the Mormons taking their ball and going home notwithstanding, is that the two scouting organizations are doing just that, updating for modern times. Of course modern times being what they are, that means that they won't be separated by gender going forward. Instead they are positioning themselves to be the conservative scouts and the liberal scouts. Because that's what this country really needs.

1 hour ago, UndertheHalo said:

I honestly don’t know why the two don’t just merge it probably makes sense for both of them.  The values both organizations espouse are the same.   

They are two very separate organizations. 
For context: https://abcnews.go.com/US/girl-scouts-slam-boy-scouts-decision-accept-girls/story?id=50433448

It'd take something remarkably drastic for this to occur.

2 hours ago, well_red said:

It's funny that people get bent out of shape over this.  Boy Scout enrollment and influence has been waning for decades.  Either they had to become more attractive to a larger portion of the population, or just accept being an arm of the LDS church.  

Kids' sports becoming year round really put a dent on scouting numbers. Especially with boys.

4 hours ago, mtangelsfan said:

I don't give a rat's ass what the Mormon church does.  Don't refocus the discussion on them.  The bottom line is that by succumbing to pressure the boy scouts have become neutered.  

Don't be mistaken. This was about increasing enrollment numbers more than anything else. Not to mention that many churches use scouting to get new families literally through their doors. GSA doesn't typically offer this opportunity for churches. By including girls into BSA this only increases the number of families walking into these churches. I doubt you'd consider this a bad thing.

4 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Don't be mistaken. This was about increasing enrollment numbers more than anything else. Not to mention that many churches use scouting to get new families literally through their doors. GSA doesn't typically offer this opportunity for churches. By including girls into BSA this only increases the number of families walking into these churches. I doubt you'd consider this a bad thing.

I don't think it is a great thing.  We continue to dim the line between genders and it really is stupid.

14 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Kids' sports becoming year round really put a dent on scouting numbers. Especially with boys.

That's basically when I quit as a kid, too many sports obligations for scouting to be useful.  That and the local troop was a bunch of creepy wierdo kids and overbearing fathers.

Still think this is a business decision and not some high-ground moral statement.  My wife worked for the OC council, before that I never understood depth of the connection between LDS and scouting, especially in well off places like OC. They are losing 20% of the scouts and most of their donations/sponsorships because of the LDS announcement.  Once they made clear their stance on gay troop leaders, this became inevitable.  The PR problem around girls & gays is long-standing and pre-dates any the existing SJW stuff, when they opened their "Irvine Ranch Outdoor Education Center" 10 years ago they purposely left off any mention of the Boy Scouts because so many organizations wouldn't book events at a Boy Scout facility.  

26 minutes ago, Thomas said:

They are two very separate organizations. 
For context: https://abcnews.go.com/US/girl-scouts-slam-boy-scouts-decision-accept-girls/story?id=50433448

It'd take something remarkably drastic for this to occur.

That’s fine.  I was sort of speaking off the cuff.  My point is mainly that the values they teach are essentially shared.  Self reliance, loyalty, integrity, honesty, etc.  I didn’t mean to suggest that they aren’t they’re own entities.  They certainly have their own traditions etc.  

I agree that primarily this driven by an effort to increase the number of participants. 

4 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

I don't think it is a great thing.  We continue to dim the line between genders and it really is stupid.

This makes about as much sense as a @nate argument. Harsh I know but true. BSA and GSA aren't simply separated by gender but dramatically different ideologies and goals. Whether their members have dangly bits hanging from them or not is one of their smallest differences.The only thing I'm surprised about is that BSA beat GSA to the punch. But regardless this was inevitable. The schism between the two simply isn't going to be bridged in today's political environment. So this isn't about erasing the gender line. This is about greatly darkening the political ideology one. Like I said. Conservative scouts and liberal scouts.

3 hours ago, mtangelsfan said:

Little league isn't gender specific and there are organizations all over the place that teach them how to camp, etc.  This is nothing more than a power play by liberal sponsors.  

Regardless, if you feel there should be zero gender specific organizations than I can at least respect your opinion.

Actually, there’s are those who aren’t thrilled with girls in little league either. 

https://www.facebook.com/deadspin/posts/10160267489770072

7 minutes ago, Thomas said:

I know there are some great LL coaches but F*ck there are a disproportionate number of assholes in their ranks.

For sure.  This story is as vile as I’ve read for this kind of thing though. 

Imagine what kind of person instructs a child (their own) to throw a baseball at someone’s (another child) head simply for wanting to play. 

Just despicable. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

8 minutes ago, Thomas said:

This makes about as much sense as a @nate argument. Harsh I know but true. BSA and GSA aren't simply separated by gender but dramatically different ideologies and goals. Whether their members have dangly bits hanging from them or not is one of their smallest differences.The only thing I'm surprised about is that BSA beat GSA to the punch. But regardless this was inevitable. The schism between the two simply isn't going to be bridged in today's political environment. So this isn't about erasing the gender line. This is about greatly darkening the political ideology one. Like I said. Conservative scouts and liberal scouts.

Talk about over complicating something, my goodness...this reads like a movie fan trying to find the hidden deep philosophical angle of The Love Guru.

2 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Talk about over complicating something, my goodness...this reads like a movie fan trying to find the hidden deep philosophical angle of The Love Guru.

Yep. Totally making this shit up
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/12/opinion/boy-scouts-girls-.html
https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/cw/post.php?id=621

4 minutes ago, Thomas said:

So you join in the stupidity? As others have said, this is solely to increase numbers in their organization (a poor decision that I think will have the opposite effect, though maybe the media storm will help, who knows), and like @mtangelsfan said, the continued blurring of genders that results is an annoying message.

Boys need a space to be among just other boys, and girls deserve the same. If the GSA program is lacking in one way or another, then the org's membership needs to make a leadership change.

21 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

So you join in the stupidity? As others have said, this is solely to increase numbers in their organization (a poor decision that I think will have the opposite effect, though maybe the media storm will help, who knows), and like @mtangelsfan said, the continued blurring of genders that results is an annoying message.

Boys need a space to be among just other boys, and girls deserve the same. If the GSA program is lacking in one way or another, then the org's membership needs to make a leadership change.

Well what I'd want and what we have are two completely different things. I'm sure, especially on the right, that the genders will continued to be segregated. BSA does keep them separated at the smallest groups. It's not like the dens and troops are coed or are going to be any time soon. The separation will likely grow more formal in time. Perhaps with BSA creating their own version of the "girl scouts" with a modified program.  Perhaps the left (GSA) will do things differently but I'd expect them to start enrolling boys in the short term.  Hopefully the right won't be teaching the girls their place while the left hopefully aren't telling the boys in their groups why they're already guilty for their fathers' sin of oppression against women. 

I highly, highly doubt the girl scouts are going to allow boys.

1. Boys won't want to join them, why would they, honestly? How many boys do you think are actually interested in their program?

2. If boys were allowed, i'm sure there would be a not insignificant amount of parents concerned about a small number of boys joining an organization loaded with girls.

3. because of point 2, their numbers would probably dwindle further.