• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

LHHs, the new weakness in this org?

4 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

He was following the current system standard plans. The owners said F off.

It's more complicated than that, though.  It's also about supply and demand.  Not many contending teams needed a 3B in the market.  The Angels were basically the only one, and they opted to fill their 3B hole with a SS.  If you have a high asking price and you play a position that is not in demand in the current market, you will suffer.

Relievers, for the most part, did quite well this offseason on the whole.  Teams want good relievers and paid for it.  

Also, a lot of teams are in the midst of a rebuild and other teams wanted to avoid the luxury tax, as I said earlier.  The Yankees/Dodgers mainly stayed out of FA, the Phillies only spent if they felt they were getting a deal (as they realistically didn't expect to contend this year), the Braves were rebuilding, etc.

This coming offseason, it is likely both the Dodgers and Yankees enter the fray, the Phillies will likely start to ramp up spending as they are now entering their competitive window, same with the Braves, etc.  More buyers, which means players will get paid more in turn.  Not all of them, but more of them.  Supply and demand.

Just now, OHTANILAND said:

He wanted more and gambled. He lost. But if his contract was incentive based he would guarantee himself what he earns. Wow what a terrible plan that would be. 

Yes because every team has a budget.   

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

It's more complicated than that, though.  It's also about supply and demand.  Not many contending teams needed a 3B in the market.  The Angels were basically the only one, and they opted to fill their 3B hole with a SS.  If you have a high asking price and you play a position that is not in demand in the current market, you will suffer.

Relievers, for the most part, did quite well this offseason on the whole.  Teams want good relievers and paid for it.  

The Angels blinked first. They should’ve waited it out and made a better offer at the end. 

1 minute ago, SuperTroopers said:

Yes because every team has a budget.   

I guarantee you Arte would love to start every season with a 25 man $25M budget. If his budget climbed to $180M it means that his players were productive and he has a good chance at playoff revenue. 

24 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

The Angels blinked first. They should’ve waited it out and made a better offer at the end. 

In the end though, I think the Angels highly valued their draft picks and would not give up their second rounded for Moose.  There was an articel by fangraphs that showed it's a terrible idea to give up a draft pick like that for a 1 or 2 year guarantee.  If the Angels signed Moose to that same contract, and he opts out the year later and moves on, they are down a 2nd round pick for a single year of service from Moose.  I assume you are okay with that, but I think that's a terrible trade off.

2 hours ago, SuperTroopers said:

I think the only way we look at Harper is if we sign Trout to an extension this year or Albert announces his retirement.  Hell it might take both of those things to happen.  We could sign Moustakas this off season.  

It really wouldnt, it isnt like we are poor or losing money.  
I agree its unlikely, but thats a choice the club makes, not an absolute.

3 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

Unless the Giants or Dodgers offer something stupid, I'm 99% positive that Harper will stay in the east with the smaller parks and larger media exposure

My guess is Harper will follow the money in the end.  I would love to see a Trout/Harper 2/3 punch in our lineup and would sacrifice from other positions to achieve that.  I know I am not in the majority in that sentiment, but I am in favor of spending on young, star level talent (Harper will have just turned 26 upon signing the contract).  Having Trout/Harper/Ohtani in the same lineup, with Adell and Marsh rising through the minors, and we are very, very well positioned to be a significant contender for a long time.

I get that Pujols is an albatross, and I likewise get that we need to consider Trout's pending extension, so I understand the limitations we have in the matter.  Still though, wouldn't it be nice to roll out that kind of star power in conjunction with our pending youth movement (Canning, Suarez, Barria, Adell, Marsh, etc etc)?

7 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

Unless the Giants or Dodgers offer something stupid, I'm 99% positive that Harper will stay in the east with the smaller parks and larger media exposure

He will definitely get paid something stupid. If Pujols was off the books I think Arte would certainly entertain the idea of having Trout and Harper in the same outfield. 

22 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

In the end though, I think the Angels highly valued their draft picks and would not give up their second rounded for Moose.  There was an articel by fangraphs that showed it's a terrible idea to give up a draft pick like that for a 1 or 2 year guarantee.  If the Angels signed Moose to that same contract, and he opts out the year later and moves on, they are down a 2nd round pick for a single year of service from Moose.  I assume you are okay with that, but I think that's a terrible trade off.

+1

Like Dipussy trading Segura (already in the org but a 1st or 2nd round value guy) for 2 months of Greinke 

I walked into a thread about LHH and ended up reading the same, old, tired narrative...

I've decided to implement my own merit based system of who I read and implemented the "ignore" function today.  Should have done it this past weekend. Better late than never.

Since defense is a part of your incentive-based system, a player can let any non-routine grounder go by so they don't chance making an error. 

Also, if he's asked to move a runner over by hitting the ball to the right side of the infield, he'll "fail" and try for a hit. Why add the out to your stats? 

Silly boy 

19 minutes ago, True Grich said:

I walked into a thread about LHH and ended up reading the same, old, tired narrative...

I've decided to implement my own merit based system of who I read and implemented the "ignore" function today.  Should have done it this past weekend. Better late than never.

Hello 

40 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

+1

Like Dipussy trading Segura (already in the org but a 1st or 2nd round value guy) for 2 months of Greinke 

I don't recall anyone bitching about that when it was made 

50 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

He will definitely get paid something stupid. If Pujols was off the books I think Arte would certainly entertain the idea of having Trout and Harper in the same outfield. 

But we would have signed Heyward, so . . . 

2 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

Exactly why an incentive system needs to be put into place. Teams and fans get to avoid the train robberies. 

You’re  right all the fans will be ripped off by having to pay ahead of time for possible payrolls just in case players perform at a high level, which we have already shown doesn’t mean you’ll make the playoffs.  

zero point in discussion incentive laden deals, it will never happen or anything close to it.  

Most players, even stars, are underpayed till they reach free agency, then typically overpayed, i doubt it balances out but in the end it comes down to a proper development system being the key financially or just going ape in free agency all the time to maintain success.  With salaries what they are i dont think anyone can constantly play the FA card anymore.  Who can afford that many 20+ mil guys?.

19 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

You’re  right all the fans will be ripped off by having to pay ahead of time for possible payrolls just in case players perform at a high level, which we have already shown doesn’t mean you’ll make the playoffs.  

They’re doing that now.

2 hours ago, OHTANILAND said:

I guarantee you Arte would love to start every season with a 25 man $25M budget. If his budget climbed to $180M it means that his players were productive and he has a good chance at playoff revenue. 

And that is the reason this would never happen.  All of the owners would have to sign their players to $1M contracts with incentives for it to work.  The Union would scream bloody-murder.  

But lets say this did happen, now you have owners separating themselves by how much they pay for performance.  Team A will give you $10K per strikeout, 

Team B will pay $50K per strikeout,

Team C $75K and a luxury box.  

You will still have fans complaining about over paying and under performing.  Having to pay out $180M would not necessarily guarantee a winning or playoff bound record.