• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

LHHs, the new weakness in this org?

4 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Please keep in mind I feel this is highly unlikely, but the Royals are going to be out of the race and will probably look to see if they can trade Moose to someone in need of a 3B.  We could probably acquire him fairly cheaply, I imagine.

I think there's a very real chance that Moose is in the same position Upton was in this offseason. Ready to sign quick in a place he wants to be and to avoid all the drawn out risk.

That makes it a lot more palatable for the Angels. 

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

I think there's a very real chance that Moose is in the same position Upton was in this offseason. Ready to sign quick in a place he wants to be and to avoid all the drawn out risk.

That makes it a lot more palatable for the Angels. 

It'd be funny if he ultimately ends up with us after all of the speculation last offseason.  If we could acquire him for the proposed trade you listed (Ward + Jewell), and either get him to opt-in to the last year or re-negotiate a modest contract (I have to imagine his expectations are going to be lower this time), then that's a pretty solid add to our team - a LH power hitter to provide balance.  And Cozart simply shifts over to 2B.

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Eppler likes working quick and checking needs off early too, and a theoretical Moose deal would align with that, rather than waiting to see what happens with Donaldson, Dozier, LeMahieu. 

Another thing too is Moose could actually fill the Valbuena role to a somewhat different extent.  Moose can play both 3B/1B, except his primary spot would be 3B.  So we could have Pujols/Marte at 1B, Moose at 3B, Cozart 2B, Simmons SS.  If we have an injury or need to shift someone to 1B, Moose can shift there, Cozart to 3B, and then call-up Fletcher/Fernandez/etc to man 2B.  Helps with our overall positional versatility.

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Another thing too is Moose could actually fill the Valbuena role to a somewhat different extent.  Moose can play both 3B/1B, except his primary spot would be 3B.  So we could have Pujols/Marte at 1B, Moose at 3B, Cozart 2B, Simmons SS.  If we have an injury or need to shift someone to 1B, Moose can shift there, Cozart to 3B, and then call-up Fletcher/Fernandez/etc to man 2B.  Helps with our overall positional versatility.

Yup - Fletcher can cover SS too, so if he's on the bench late this year or next there's plenty of coverage. 

9 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

It’ll be interesting to see what he pulls off at the deadline.   I highly doubt Eppler stands pat at the deadline.   Even with the struggles we’ve seen from Kole and Kinsler, I’d rather the pen be fixed than either of those two positions.  

At this point, I could see a trio of prospects like I mentioned for Moose and Herrera - checks off the pen, solves 2B by shifting Cozart, alleviates the 'loss' of Calhoun's left-handed bat. 

I feel like there's a good chance Mike Fiers winds up an Angel too. He could work out of the pen or rotation, and has some of that Astros experience with him. Probably won't cost much more than a low-level prospect, or we could mirror the Nolasco/Santiago deal and send them Michigan boy Shoemaker, who has an extra year of control over Fiers, but could be a non-tender candidate for the Angels.

I think we'll be looking for an impact or good controllable starter too, but think ultimately Eppler deems something like Moose/Herrera will have as much impact for less cost.

9 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

As long as it’s the production you can easily see. 

Every player should start with a base salary and have an equal opportunity to make as much they want to make through incentives. It’s a very good honor system that both the owners and the players should accept. All productive stats should have a monetary value that would include additional additional bonus money for awards, playoff appearances and playoff production.  It’s a win-win for everyone unless you suck. 

5 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

Every player should start with a base salary and have an equal opportunity to make as much they want to make through incentives. It’s a very good honor system that both the owners and the players should accept. All productive stats should have a monetary value that would include additional additional bonus money for awards, playoff appearances and playoff production.  It’s a win-win for everyone unless you suck. 

Or unless you have to sacrifice bunt or hit a ground ball to the right side to get the runner to third with less than two outs, or if your a great defender, or a strong armed catcher or a good pitch framer.  Or if you’re a 6th or 7th inning guy.   

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

Doubtful. Cozart did not cost a pick, plays better defense, plays multiple positions and posted a .385 OBP last year.

He was our target from the very beginning I think.

And now he’s posting a .293 OBP. 

16 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

lol surely you jest

Not new at all, precisely why many of us wanted Mous or other guys this off season. 

I personally targeted 1B/3B/DH/ type guys such as Mous, Morrison, Headley... some of which are doing better than others (understatement) but they were what was available.  In hindsight i wish we had taken a more serious look at Mous to be a bit of a flex guy for this season and take over as full time 3B next, but thats moot at this point.

I do think Harper will be looked at, how could we not at this point.  Whether they pay it is another story to be debated in the off season.  Or perhaps later this summer if Wash decides to get something in return, which i strongly doubt unless something really odd happens and they fall out of contention. 

I would like to see Othani get a 1B glove and see if he could be serviceable there or maybe even give the guy a shot in RF to ensure his bat is in the lineup, but i dont think thats going to happen either.

6 minutes ago, floplag said:

Not new at all, precisely why many of us wanted Mous or other guys this off season. 

I personally targeted 1B/3B/DH/ type guys such as Mous, Morrison, Headley... some of which are doing better than others (understatement) but they were what was available.  In hindsight i wish we had taken a more serious look at Mous to be a bit of a flex guy for this season and take over as full time 3B next, but thats moot at this point.

I do think Harper will be looked at, how could we not at this point.  Whether they pay it is another story to be debated in the off season.  Or perhaps later this summer if Wash decides to get something in return, which i strongly doubt unless something really odd happens and they fall out of contention. 

I would like to see Othani get a 1B glove and see if he could be serviceable there or maybe even give the guy a shot in RF to ensure his bat is in the lineup, but i dont think thats going to happen either.

I think the only way we look at Harper is if we sign Trout to an extension this year or Albert announces his retirement.  Hell it might take both of those things to happen.  We could sign Moustakas this off season.  

1 hour ago, SuperTroopers said:

Moustakas has a mutual option for 2019 at $15 million. 

Mutal option -- meaning both parties have to agree to it.   Guess we will see if he stays where "he always wanted to be" or tries to see if he can get a better deal from someone else.

27 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

I think the only way we look at Harper is if we sign Trout to an extension this year or Albert announces his retirement.  Hell it might take both of those things to happen.  We could sign Moustakas this off season.  

Yeah, it's rather unlikely.  We could actually fit him under the luxury tax limit, but we'd have to skimp on other areas and essentially ask ourselves:  is Harper (assuming ~30mil AAV) worth Richards (assuming 12-15 AAV) + Moose (assuming 10-12mil AAV) + a reliever??  Obviously not exactly like that at all, but signing Harper means around 30mil less that can be offered to fill other areas.

The benefit of having our farm system develop like it has been means we are going to start having cheap talent coming up through the pipeline.  Instead of signing a 2B/3B, we could instead plug the spot with Fletcher/Fernandez.  Instead of re-signing Richards, we could hope for more progression from our current staff + minor leaguers (Canning?  Suarez?), and etc etc.

I say it's very unlikely we see Harper, but it's not impossible, which is largely due to the internal growth in our minor league system over the last 2 years.