• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

LHHs, the new weakness in this org?

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Calhoun sucks totally!

Valnobuena is meh.

Ohtani can only appear as DH half the time!

Are there ANY LHHs coming up through the org?????

The leading hitter by average in Salt Lake right now is Cowart, a switch hitter, at .377. 

Actually Fernandez is a left handed bat, he is hitting .343 in Salt Lake.  We could drop Kinsler and Valbuena, and add two of Cowart, Fernandez, and Fletcher;  it won't happen but I like it anyway.  This is probably Kinsler and Valbuena's last year with the Angels.  We are going to save a lot more money this coming off season if we stick with developing Cowart, Fletcher and Fernandez.  That will buy us pitchers or a right fielder, or we can wait out Adell, and/or Marsh.  By the way Marsh also is a lefty bat.

We are about two years away from getting some solid internal contributions from our minor league system.

20 minutes ago, tomsred said:

Actually Fernandez is a left handed bat, he is hitting .343 in Salt Lake.  We could drop Kinsler and Valbuena, and add two of Cowart, Fernandez, and Fletcher;  it won't happen but I like it anyway.  This is probably Kinsler and Valbuena's last year with the Angels.  We are going to save a lot more money this coming off season if we stick with developing Cowart, Fletcher and Fernandez.  That will buy us pitchers or a right fielder, or we can wait out Adell, and/or Marsh.  By the way Marsh also is a lefty bat.

We are about two years away from getting some solid internal contributions from our minor league system.

I hear Bryce Harper is available this offseason.  Left-handed bat solved!  ;)

4 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

Valbuena is a terrific RF’r

" We could drop Kinsler and Valbuena, and add two of Cowart, Fernandez, and Fletcher; . . . "

It would behoove you to read the entire thread. 

Yes, I said behoove. 

7 hours ago, OHTANILAND said:

Moustakas  .300 / .333 / .586 / .919   ( 10 hrs / 28 rbi's ) 

Outproducing Kinsler / Cozart and Valbuena combined.

Be interested in seeing if the Angels try to add him midseason, moving cozart to 2B. They'll be strong candidates to re-sign him already. 

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Be interested in seeing if the Angels try to add him midseason, moving cozart to 2B. They'll be strong candidates to re-sign him already. 

Let’s trade prospects for a guy we could have had in the off-season 

we dropped the ball hard on him bc he isn’t diverse defensively 

16 minutes ago, nando714 said:

Apparently everyone in MLB dropped the ball because he priced himself out of a job and had to go crawling back to his old team where if you believe the load of horseshit he spouted, "was exactly where he wanted to be".

I'm sure if he was willing to take Cozart money he would be an Angel already.

17 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Apparently everyone in MLB dropped the ball because he priced himself out of a job and had to go crawling back to his old team where if you believe the load of horseshit he spouted, "was exactly where he wanted to be".

I'm sure if he was willing to take Cozart money he would be an Angel already.

Doubtful. Cozart did not cost a pick, plays better defense, plays multiple positions and posted a .385 OBP last year.

He was our target from the very beginning I think.

4 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Doubtful. Cozart did not cost a pick, plays better defense, plays multiple positions and posted a .385 OBP last year.

You're right -- another fact the revisionist history crowd glosses over.   Because you know, it's not like the man making these decisions hasn't turned a moribund franchise around in less time than anyone thought possible.

I like that everyone upset we didn’t get him for $6.5 million are probably the same people that posted the rumor that we offered him 3 years $45 million in the off season.   But yea, the Angels dropped the ball hard.  

1 hour ago, nando714 said:

He priced himself out, and Eppler was more than willing to roll with Kinsler and Cozart - which looked totally reasonable at the time. 

Its a new climate for Moose - he's probably going to be a lot more flexible in his contract demands next offseason and there seems to still be an obvious desire for him to play in Anaheim. He won't be eligible for a QO, but a midseason trade and extension would work around that anyway.

The Upton deal could be a similar template - we'd have to pay more than Montgomery and Hernandez, but KC doesn't have a whole lot of leverage. Atlanta could come in and offer more, but they may not want to dip into their farm much with how bright their future looks. 

I wouldn't be too opposed to something like Ward and Jewell for Moose (maybe even another prospect and get Herrera added) to push for the playoffs and then sign Moose to a 4/$60m or so (he'll get a good payday if he keeps this up) in the offseason and move Cozart to 2B.

Or we stick with what's in house and sign in offseason. But I think I'd rather get him into the fold in July and try and get to the playoffs this year.

I think we knew heading into the season that LH would be a weakness to some degree.  Just looking at the lineup, our LH options were Calhoun, Valbuena, Ohtani.  Entering the season, we were fine with Calhoun, not too high on Valbuena, and Ohtani was a big unknown.

Fast forward 1.5 months later, and Calhoun is currently the worst hitting regular in baseball, Valbuena is steady but basically the same hitter (an average one I'd say, nothing more, nothing less), and Ohtani's a stud, but only batting half the games at best.

*IF* Kinsler continues to struggle immensely, there is the possibility that we could trade for Moose at the deadline and have Cozart shift to 2B.  I consider this highly unlikely, but it is definitely a possibility.  Then, we could probably have a lineup like this:  Cozart 2B, Trout CF, Upton LF, Moose 3B, Pujols 1B, Ohtani DH, Simmons SS, Calhoun (or somebody, anybody?!) RF, Maldonado C.

Please keep in mind I feel this is highly unlikely, but the Royals are going to be out of the race and will probably look to see if they can trade Moose to someone in need of a 3B.  We could probably acquire him fairly cheaply, I imagine.

46 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

100% agree.  Eppler prioritizes strong defense, positional versatility, and wants to stockpile draft picks for the draft to help continue to rebuild our farm system.  All of these things point to us preferring Cozart over Moose.

30 minutes ago, zenmaster said:

It would only cost us $1B to lock up Trout and Harper. Get it done Art!

Ah, but it's fun to dream about the lineup, right?  Slot Harper in at #3 right behind Trout and ahead of Upton, and for fun, put Ohtani #5 behind Upton:  Trout, Harper, Upton, Ohtani.  Now THAT is murder's row man!