• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Calhoun and Bunting

41 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Go here....

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=11200&position=OF

Scroll down to batted ball.

Pull percentage:

2014: 43

2015: 42

2016: 42

2017: 44

2018: 39

Now look at the ground ball column: His career average is 42 and this year is 56. That is the problem.

The shift doesn't matter when he's hitting the ball in the air like he's supposed to.

He just needs to bunt more...and spit on his hands and grab some dirt to choke up on bat...maybe split his grip like Ty Cobb...while wearing wool pants...

10 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Agreed. 

Its a tough situation. As bad as calhoun has been, we dont have some obvious replacement in house. The other part is that as bad as his bat has been, his defense is still outstanding. And that seems to be the strategy of this team.

We don't have anyone who can replace a player who's OPS+ is 13 points higher than mine? 

If anyone needs to reach me, I'll be at the batting cages 

It's just like Pujols. Pujols could hit .300 again if he would quit trying to pull everything. and quit trying to muscle up everything and hit it out of the park.... maybe that is the marine layer affect? I do not know?

Look at hit #3000.... he took what the pitcher gave him.

he was actually swinging the bat well as he got close to 3,000 because he wanted to reach that milestone..... unfortunately now that he has he will probably go back to the old approach and try and pull everything.

Most players when they get close to 3,000 hits they slump for awhile.... but Pujols is so good he can still do whatever he wants.... he just seems to want HR's.

4 minutes ago, Lou said:

We don't have anyone who can replace a player who's OPS+ is 13 points higher than mine? 

If anyone needs to reach me, I'll be at the batting cages 

On the surface, im sure we have some temporary solutions. We'll see if thats blash, maybe young. Im not sure what OFs in thr minors are ready. But i think at least in the case of young, after enough time he too will be a negative bat if he plays every day. 

And make sure to work in some bunts at the cages.

4 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

On the surface, im sure we have some temporary solutions. We'll see if thats blash, maybe young. Im not sure what OFs in thr minors are ready. But i think at least in the case of young, after enough time he too will be a negative bat if he plays every day. 

And make sure to work in some bunts at the cages.

Not sold on Blash as anything but a temporary break for Calhoun and a gift promotion for a hot start at AAA.  He's always mashed in the minors but, at 28, you are probably seeing all you are going to see from him at the MLB level.  Hermosillo is doing alright but not great for the PCL and your  next closest OF prospects are in A Ball.  Between Blash, Young and Liriano you could probably find someone to play replacement level but, unless Kole gets it together, RF could be hole in the line-up this year.

42 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Your mature responses and lack of arguing likely violate some of the codes of conduct of this site. Not sure how the mods missed this.

In the future, if you disagree with someone, you need to call them an idiot, and it never hurts to tell the other person you drive a luxury car and get laid a lot.

Also tell them you play xbox with "insert name".

4 hours ago, Angels#1Fan said:

You're assuming that Kole would be able to get down a lot of bunts..I don't think it's as much of a certainty as you do.

And you're assuming he needs to lay down a perfect bunt.  All he needs to do is just bunt anywhere in the vicinity of the left side infield and he gets an easy hit.

6 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

Why are you guys pretending that bunting is such a guaranteed thing ? Calhoun hardly ever bunts and probably isn’t great at it.  Even if it works out; are a handful of cheap singles really that important ? Calhoun’s problem isn’t the shift.  His problem is inability to make good contact with the baseball.  His problem is horrible swings and horrible AB’s.  Since the first game he’s rarely hit anything hard.   Is it mental ? Is it physical ? I don’t know.  He appears to not be seeing the ball.  You sound ridiculous going along with this “Scoscia isn’t a leader” because he hasn’t ordered Calhoun to bunt.  Some of you guys will blame Scoscia for literally anything.  Now Calhoun’s struggles are because of Scioscia.  Lol. 

You prefer he stays his current course and continues striking out on 3 pitches or grounding out to the right side?  Right now it seems like bunting is the only way he can contribute to helping the team win and honestly you've got to be the most selfish person on earth to refuse to bunt when you're only hitting .167.  

I mean Calhoun hasn't even ATTEMPTED to bunt.

6 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

You prefer he stays his current course and continues striking out on 3 pitches or grounding out to the right side?  Right now it seems like bunting is the only way he can contribute to helping the team win and honestly you've got to be the most selfish person on earth to refuse to bunt when you're only hitting .167.  

I mean Calhoun hasn't even ATTEMPTED to bunt.

I saw him bunt once in a spring training game with a lefty on the mound for a hit against the shift.

6 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Wait... isn't the narrative normally that Fat Mike is a dictator that tries to make everyone play small ball?    Now Calhoun's inability to go against the shift is Fat Mikes fault...  because he's NOT bunting?

Mind blown.

I never heard this narrative..probably because it never existed.  The narrative was the Scioscia uses small ball too much and gives the other team too many free outs which potentially kills big innings. The idea for kole bunting is to not make an out. Bunting for a base hit is different than bunting to get a runner from 1b to 2b. 

Edit: oh and he was way too predictable with his small ball crap. The other teams knew what Scioscia was gonna do before Scioscia did.

7 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

I never heard this narrative..probably because it never existed.  The narrative was the Scioscia uses small ball too much and gives the other team too many free outs which potentially kills big innings. The idea for kole bunting is to not make an out. Bunting for a base hit is different than bunting to get a runner from 1b to 2b. 

Edit: oh and he was way too predictable with his small ball crap. The other teams knew what Scioscia was gonna do before Scioscia did.

Honestly at this point even if he makes an out but at least moves a runner over and does not just strike out or hit into a DP..... I would take it.

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

In the future, if you disagree with someone, you need to call them an idiot, and it never hurts to tell the other person you drive a luxury car and get laid a lot.

Hola.

7 minutes ago, Griffey's Corner said:

Honestly at this point even if he makes an out but at least moves a runner over and does not just strike out or hit into a DP..... I would take it.

Right, even if he's not a good bunter, he should at least try.

I would personally like to see Blash play full time.  Im hoping we can capture lightning in a bottle. If not, he still can't possibly be worse than Calhoun, can he?

40 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

Aybar used to try and bunt for a hit and people on here would lose their mind thinking it was called from the dugout.  That is an AW fact.  

2 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Seeing the nickname "Fat Mike" makes me wonder how people would insultingly refer to Scioscia if he weren't overweight.

I will not bash him. He probably has got more tail in his lifetime than any of us. So as far as I am concerned he is the man. I also hope that players and coaches do not read the message boards.... I mean I would not want someone saying oh "Ted small d... dude."..... not that that is true. I am just making a point. LOL.

1 minute ago, Griffey's Corner said:

I will not bash him. He probably has got more tail in his lifetime than any of us. So as far as I am concerned he is the man. I also hope that players and coaches do not read the message boards.... I mean I would not want someone saying oh "Ted small d... dude."..... not that that is true. I am just making a point. LOL.

You can write dick here. If not, myself and @Dick Enberg would not exist.