• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels' Cron shows range

Chuck

Wood's problem definitely was between the ears.  I'm not entirely sure if this stemmed from the Angels treatment of him at the AAA and MLB level or not, but the result is the same.  Shame too.  He could've been a J.J. Hardy type of contributor.  

As for Cron vs Grichuk, I like them both, but if we're going to compare ages (21-23), then I think it's also important to compare minor league experience.  Cron has 2 years now (half season in 2011, full in 2012, half so far in 2013).  Grichuk, we're looking at 4 years in the minors.  That makes it about even.  

If we're talking about projectibility you're absolutely on point though with Grichuk.  Higher upside.  I just don't see him being a power hitter in the majors though, despite his immense physical strength.  It's his swing.  Amazingly quick bat, strong wrists.  But he's shortened it to become more of a line drive hitter's swing.  There's no uppercut to it.  Generally power hitters have a longer swing that creates loft.  It makes them more susceptible to the swing and miss though.  Grichuks made the adjustments and corrected that issue.  

The HR's Randal hits aren't of the moonshot variety.  He kills them, high line drive types.  This runs in contrast to both Lindsey and Cron.  Lindsey's are the high fly ball with serious backspin type that are perfectly placed 10 feet beyond the wall.  Cron's as Scott eluded to earlier, are the BP legends type.  When he jumps into a ball it's a lot like Trumbo, it's the type all the fielders stop and watch.

The HR totals are really beyond me at this point, I can't explain why they are the way they are, but I can assure you that Cron hasn't lost any power or isn't doing anything different than before.  The most likely explanation is the environment.  A lot of Cron's line drive type of HR's are now doubles, which explain the really high numbers of DB's he's hit.  As for Grichuk, I think it's just his natural progression, something's clicked for him and when a pitcher makes a mistake he's learning better how to punish them for it.  As for Lindsey, I'd chalk a lot of it up to his physical strength.  When he was drafted, he was a wiry kid, now he's getting thicker, getting some of the more mature muscle in his body and the HR's are a byproduct.  

I wish I could offer a better explanation, but that's just about the best I can come up with.  

The HR's Randal hits aren't of the moonshot variety.  He kills them, high line drive types.  This runs in contrast to both Lindsey and Cron.  Lindsey's are the high fly ball with serious backspin type that are perfectly placed 10 feet beyond the wall.  Cron's as Scott eluded to earlier, are the BP legends type.  When he jumps into a ball it's a lot like Trumbo, it's the type all the fielders stop and watch.

Was referring to his HS days -- check this video out...  

I agree he's developing more and more into a line drive type - which actually may server him really well because he's amazingly strong, he wrists things that most guys just have no chance at.

BTW, the guy he lost to..  Bryce Harper.   Angels fans should seriously be watching RG, because he's got the chance to be a very special player.  Just seems like for many people he's the guy that isn't Mike Trout from that draft.

I've probably watched that video 20 times.  Made me drool when we first drafted him.  His swing used to be very long and fluid as you can see, and as evidenced by his numbers early on it also led to some contact issues, thus the shortening of his path to the ball and less load.  

By the way, maybe this has been covered somewhere in these 5 pages already, but for some reason, I just now looked at Cron's home/road splits.  He's actually hitting  better at home--so it's tough to make the ol' "his home park is killing his power!" argument.

Home:  .299/.342/.458 with 4 HR

Road:  .283/.330/.422 with 3 HR.

Around 20 could be anywhere 16-23.  He has 2 HR in his last two games, has tremendous physical strength and the temperatures are beginning to climb, which means the ball will be flying further in the summertime than it did in April and May.

And even then it doesn't change my argument that fans have lost perspective and are looking into power numbers without actual scouting.  I mean if you want to quote the lack of walks, at least you'd have a leg to stand on if you don't believe Cron is very good, and even then it's flimsy.  But to be down on him as a result of his HR totals this year without looking at how he's performed against LHP & RHP, home & away, month to month, batting average and doubles, you'd be leaving yourself completely exposed.  

It just isn't a good or valid perspective at all. 

I now find this post pretty funny, given what I just posted.  I'm wondering if YOU have looked at his splits...

Who else on the team is hitting as well as Cron is both on the road and at home?  Also, you may notice I've said this multiple times in this thread, I do not know why Cron's HR totals aren't as high as Lindsey and Grichuk's.  I know he has more power than both of them, but all I can really do is guess.  I know he hitting the ball pretty well, it's just not leaving the park. 

Jason this is really simple.  The point is what it's always been and I can't help but feel like you're trying to start something simply because you disagree.  Point - Cron is a really good hitter.  No one wouldn't argue that his value is tied to his bat.  His ability to make contact, hit against lefties and righties, at home and away from home, with considerable raw power makes him a dangerous hitter.  He's a middle of the order bat and run producer and will be a solid major leaguer someday, if not with the Angels then with someone else. 

Named to the Future's Game, puts on a show during BP in which the so called "experts" pretend they've discovered something by raving about Cron's power, makes the starting lineup at 1B, bats cleanup, goes 2-4 with a run scored.  

And you're unimpressed, complaining about his approach and assuring us all he's crap and will do nothing in the majors.  Glad to have you here to judge who is and isn't worthy. 

And I didn't mean for that to come off as being a complete jerk and sorry if it did.  But I think it's just one game, unless he was far and away the best player out there (a la Mike Trout in the Future's Game in Anaheim) there just isn't a ton to take away from it.  But he wasn't overmatched against the best minor league competition in the world for one game.  Not bad, I'll take it. 

A 27 year old 1B that's not really a prospect in a fairly weak Tigers' system also started in the Futures' Game for the World Team.

It's neat for CJ and all, but beyond that? I'm not even totally sure why he was starting at 1B for the US team, unless there is also an every team needs 1 representative rule. He's not the best 1B prospect in the minors even if you're limiting it to US born ones, because Singleton of the Astros exists(and there might be more I'm not coming up with).

I didn't see this game or his at bats, but considering it was one game we have learned nothing about him. The opinions were going one of two ways, and it would solely be based on how he played. If he went 2-4 with a home run and a double, everyone would be saying,"Trade Trumbo". Since he didn't do that people will not be impressed. That's just the way sample size works.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd be fine trading both Cron and Cowart for a solid pitcher.  I just don't see them contributing to the major league team.  Cron will probably hit well in SLC, but his defense will never be stellar.  1B and DH is blocked by Pujols, Trumbo, and all our 4th OFers.