• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ohtani Win Tracker

23 minutes ago, Griffey's Corner said:

The physical exertion part on the human body. Yes I am. Baseball is baseball. If anything a kid in high school has to go to school all day, lift weights in gym class, go to practice for 2-3 hours and than go work at a restaurant busing tables until 2 in the morning. ML players probably do not even have to carry there own luggage. They probably can dial up a masseuse anytime they want and if they desire have steak for dinner. 

So you betcha.... what else you got?

LOL 

there was so much wrong in that post 

@Griffey's Corner

This is what I responded to: 

"But in the 30+ years I have watched baseball, I don't recall a team with more arm injuries and Tommy John surgeries in such a short time"

He was referring to an amount, ie the number of injuries. Quality of arms was never a topic of discussion. 

6 minutes ago, Lou said:

@Griffey's Corner

This is what I responded to: 

"But in the 30+ years I have watched baseball, I don't recall a team with more arm injuries and Tommy John surgeries in such a short time"

He was referring to an amount, ie the number of injuries. Quality of arms was never a topic of discussion. 

??? I was not talking about quality of arms either. I was also referring to the number of injuries. truthfully you might be a stud baseball player but in this case I will have to think that Nolan Ryan knows more about pitching than you do.

Who said being too tired was the reason? 

Also, get your facts straight. He never said he wanted to play the days before and after he pitches. When he stated he wanted to play more, it was after he wasn't in the starting lineup vs a lefty. 

Finally, if you truly think that's an accurate depiction of what a HS pitcher's schedule is these days, you are nuts. Although the fact that you didn't mention homework kept it from being 100% wrong. 

25 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

And had shorter careers and didn’t play year round as a kid, and didn’t all throw 95 mph and played in very competitive travel ball teams and didn’t have to give up all other sports and weren’t allowed to throw curve balls at a young age and.........

Really shorter careers? i think you have that backwards. Ryan threw 95, so did Gibson never had a problem. they also never had a problem throwing 150+ pitches a game. Throwing curveballs at a young age did mess up some arms.... but they did it anyways. Bert Blyleven said he would never allow a kid to start throwing a curve ball until they were 18.... back than they threw curveballs all the time.... still less injuries. All your points are backwards. I am sure they threw all the time.... that is the only way to get to throwing a 95 mph fastball.... you have to throw and throw a lot.... so the all year round and competitve travel ball teams does not hold water. Are you trying to say because kids nowadays play fall ball that they picked up a baseball more than Nolan Ryan or other great players from the past?

This is now . . .

8 minutes ago, Griffey's Corner said:

??? I was not talking about quality of arms either. I was also referring to the number of injuries. truthfully you might be a stud baseball player but in this case I will have to think that Nolan Ryan knows more about pitching than you do.

That was then . . .

On May 7, 2018 at 1:45 PM, Griffey's Corner said:

the numbers are only part of the picture. It's the quality we lost. If Blanton or Nolasco needed TJ surgery we would have been looking around thinking addition by subtraction.

image.png

Done. 

14 hours ago, SuperTroopers said:

Please don’t use Nolan Ryan or any other Hall of Famer as an example.  Hall of Famers are the exception to rules.  

13 hours ago, Griffey's Corner said:

Really shorter careers? i think you have that backwards. Ryan threw 95, so did Gibson never had a problem. they also never had a problem throwing 150+ pitches a game. Throwing curveballs at a young age did mess up some arms.... but they did it anyways. Bert Blyleven said he would never allow a kid to start throwing a curve ball until they were 18.... back than they threw curveballs all the time.... still less injuries. All your points are backwards. I am sure they threw all the time.... that is the only way to get to throwing a 95 mph fastball.... you have to throw and throw a lot.... so the all year round and competitve travel ball teams does not hold water. Are you trying to say because kids nowadays play fall ball that they picked up a baseball more than Nolan Ryan or other great players from the past?

Thanks for not using hall of famers as an example. 

And yes I’m saying kids today throw a ton more competitively than kids in the past.  

Edited by SuperTroopers

27 minutes ago, Lou said:

Ryan is just trying to preserve his image as a badass.

I'll go with the opinions of 99% of the current coaches and front office personnel. 

yeah Ryan is not the only one that says it. Don't come to your own opinion just form your opinion on what others say..... got it....LOL. Dude you are too funny. I agree about the quality.... if Blanton had gotten hurt I would have had no problem with that..... That is not what you jumped down my back on. It is weird that you mentioned that because yesterday I almost said the exact same thing addition by subtraction.... or maybe I did? I was referencing Blanton & Salas... LOL.

A lot of the current coaches and front office personnel do not know why it is happening.... so before you make them out to be these all knowing gurus.... they do not know why it is going on or what to do about it.... many articles on this subject.

My point is & was Shoehei should be playing more..... and than you jumped down my back on that.... and started talking  too tired and it should not be done, etc...... well shohei does not think he is too tired to do it..... So that alone all your other arguments are just BS.... entertaining BS..... But BS all the same.

And furthermore as long as Shohei is hitting..... and we have 2 or 3 guys in the lineup right now struggling.... than I think Shohei should be hitting more. 

Every game we lose in May counts the same in September. If a guy is tearing the cover off the ball than he should be playing more than half the time..... How do you know that Shohei wants to sit the day before he pitches or the day after? Because that was what is manager in Japan did? Sounds like Shohei wants to play and prove himself.

And yes Ryan is a badass.

I am trying to get along with you & have good baseball conversations.... but when you keep misquoting me, and trying to turn what I am saying you are making it difficult.

While your championing Ryan's crusade, don't forget about:

Sandy Koufax, Kerry Wood, Mark Fydrich, , Fernando Valenzuela, Dwight Gooden . . . the list goes on and on 

Let's not forget those ironmen of the 80 & '81 A's - Langford, Keough, McCatty, Kingman and Norris. In 1980, they threw a combined 94 complete games. 

In 1981, they threw 60 in a strike-shortened 109-game season. 

In 1980, all but Kingman threw 14-inning complete games. Norris threw 154 pitches in his game. McCatty threw 207. 

Five careers ruined because they tried to be "real pitchers"

2 minutes ago, Griffey's Corner said:

Don't come to your own opinion just form your opinion on what others say..... got it....LOL. 

That is EXACTLY what you are doing in regards to Ryan. How do you not see this? 

3 minutes ago, Lou said:

While your championing Ryan's crusade, don't forget about:

Sandy Koufax, Kerry Wood, Mark Fydrich, , Fernando Valenzuela, Dwight Gooden . . . the list goes on and on 

Let's not forget those ironmen of the 80 & '81 A's - Langford, Keough, McCatty, Kingman and Norris. In 1980, they threw a combined 94 complete games. 

In 1981, they threw 60 in a strike-shortened 109-game season. 

In 1980, all but Kingman threw 14-inning complete games. Norris threw 154 pitches in his game. McCatty threw 207. 

Five careers ruined because they tried to be "real pitchers"

I like it. You have a very impressive baseball acumen. 

But on the flip side you listed a handful of pitchers.... out of thousands. 

I can name a handful of Angels pitchers... recently..... that have had arm problems.

Some of the players you listed did not exactly take care of their bodies.... unless you consider cocaine good.

3 minutes ago, Griffey's Corner said:

I can name a handful of Angels pitchers... recently..... that have had arm problems.

Some of the players you listed did not exactly take care of their bodies.... unless you consider cocaine good.

Dude you start a conversation using hall of fame pitchers as your example.  

5 minutes ago, Griffey's Corner said:

A lot of the current coaches and front office personnel do not know why it is happening.... so before you make them out to be these all knowing gurus.... they do not know why it is going on or what to do about it.... many articles on this subject.

So they don't know why it's occurring. Ok, let's go with that, even though you offer not a shred of actual proof. Show me where these numerous coaches and front office personnel state that having pitchers throw a lot more innings along the way is the answer. Now this should be fairly simple, considering "the many articles on the subject" 

9 minutes ago, Griffey's Corner said:

My point is & was Shoehei should be playing more..... and than you jumped down my back on that.... and started talking  too tired and it should not be done, etc...... well shohei does not think he is too tired to do it..... So that alone all your other arguments are just BS.... entertaining BS..... But BS all the same.

Jumped down your back? Please don't try to play the victim. 

I pointed out that your claim of Ohtani saying he wants to play more was misguided at best, completely incorrect at worst. He wasn't referring to playing on the days before and after he pitches, which was your claim.  (He never did it while playing in Japan, by the way.)

i would say that your "argumens" are entertaining, but they're not. The lack of substance merely renders them sad. 

8 minutes ago, Griffey's Corner said:

And you've listed two. 

1 minute ago, Griffey's Corner said:

as long as Shohei is hitting above .300 I think he should hit more.... that is ALL I am saying.

No, you said he should play on days before and after the days he pitches and claimed Ohtani stated the same. Then, to make your case even more ridiculous, you offered high school pitchers as a comparison as to why it would be easy for Ohtani, a major leaguer, to do the same.

again, please don't play the victim here. 

12 minutes ago, Griffey's Corner said:

I really am not. My opinion was done by my own research. My own self experiences..... and yes than I throw in Ryan's name to lend weight to my argument.

Ok, I'll bite. Please show us all your extensive research.