• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ohtani Win Tracker

In the games in which Ohtani gets 2 hits or more, the Angels are 5-1. A record of 5-4 when he gets one hit or none.

In the games in which he pitches at least five innings, they're 4-0

9-1 when Ohtani is producing. 

I'll try to keep track of this trend as the season progresses. It might just be a case of small sample size at the moment, but we'll see.

Edited by fan_since79

12 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

I have a bad feeling that giving up the homer in the 7th inning yesterday means that he will have a shorter leash in the future due to the dreaded "third time around in the order" syndrome.

Why can't pitchers that leave the game come back later?  It'd be cool if we could sit Ohtani out the 2nd and the 7th inning of games :)

I wish he would hit every game that he is not pitching. How tiring is it DH'ing and going up to bat 4 times and swinging. If he hits a HR he can just jog around the bases. They need his bat in the lineup as much as possible. It gives so much more depth to the lineup. If he pitches the next day just tell him to get a couple extra more hours of sleep the night before. The human body can withstand quite a bit.

1 hour ago, yk9001 said:

I have a bad feeling that giving up the homer in the 7th inning yesterday means that he will have a shorter leash in the future due to the dreaded "third time around in the order" syndrome.

If the syndrome fits, he's gotta sit.

i still got it!

1 hour ago, yk9001 said:

It seemed to me that he just got tired and was leaving the ball up and wasn't as sharp on his slider that was hit out.  If his best stuff was hit hard, then I'd be worried.  I think it's still a stamina thing.  But who knows,  the third time around thing is becoming a fad so it may still affect Ohtani. 

18 minutes ago, Lou said:

swinging a bat takes a toll on a player's arms.

Plus, if a team knows he's pitching the next day, what's to stop them from planting one on his right arm? 

People do both in college and high school all the time.  It's not like his arm is going to just go flying off when he bats.

2 minutes ago, Lou said:

You're really comparing Ohtani's situation with. high school player? 

The scouts in that Jeff Passan article did.

“He’s basically like a high school hitter because he’s never seen a good curveball,” the scout said. “He’s seen fastballs and changeups. And you’re asking a high school hitter to jump to the major leagues?”

53 minutes ago, Lou said:

Plus, if a team knows he's pitching the next day, what's to stop them from planting one on his right arm? 

Etiquette. What's stopping them from doing it two days before he starts? If the sportsmanship was that bad, it'd be pretty apparent. 

But ya, Ohtani with the bat is a glorified frosh hitter. I've seen travel ball kids with better swings.

2 hours ago, Griffey's Corner said:

I wish he would hit every game that he is not pitching. How tiring is it DH'ing and going up to bat 4 times and swinging. If he hits a HR he can just jog around the bases. They need his bat in the lineup as much as possible. It gives so much more depth to the lineup. If he pitches the next day just tell him to get a couple extra more hours of sleep the night before. The human body can withstand quite a bit.

Our pitchers do not have typical human bodies, or at least arms. More like porcelain. On their days off they need to have minimal physical activities. It's a huge risk already to let the man get into the batter's box when he should be resting.

1 hour ago, yk9001 said:

The scouts in that Jeff Passan article did.

“He’s basically like a high school hitter because he’s never seen a good curveball,” the scout said. “He’s seen fastballs and changeups. And you’re asking a high school hitter to jump to the major leagues?”

Lou should email every one of these scouts with his trademark, "I agree."

7 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Our pitchers do not have typical human bodies, or at least arms. More like porcelain. On their days off they need to have minimal physical activities. It's a huge risk already to let the man get into the batter's box when he should be resting.

LMAO at the "more like porcelain" comment.  But in the 30+ years I have watched baseball, I don't recall a team with more arm injuries and Tommy John surgeries in such a short time.  And yes I am old enough to say that I actually witnessed Tommy John on a major league mound, and specifically the mound in Anaheim for about 3 years.  Let's all just pray that Shohei can stay healthy because he's really good at baseball and makes our team much more dangerous whether he's on the mound or in the batter's box.  I will trust Scioscia and Eppler to make the calls as to how and when they want to utilize the Japanese Babe Ruth.

9 minutes ago, Semaj said:

LMAO at the "more like porcelain" comment.  But in the 30+ years I have watched baseball, I don't recall a team with more arm injuries and Tommy John surgeries in such a short time.  And yes I am old enough to say that I actually witnessed Tommy John on a major league mound, and specifically the mound in Anaheim for about 3 years.  Let's all just pray that Shohei can stay healthy because he's really good at baseball and makes our team much more dangerous whether he's on the mound or in the batter's box.  I will trust Scioscia and Eppler to make the calls as to how and when they want to utilize the Japanese Babe Ruth.

You just have missed the Mariners in 2017

1 hour ago, laagamer said:

Etiquette. What's stopping them from doing it two days before he starts? If the sportsmanship was that bad, it'd be pretty apparent. 

But ya, Ohtani with the bat is a glorified frosh hitter. I've seen travel ball kids with better swings.

It's not much different from Ichiro's in his prime. 

2 hours ago, Lou said:

I just cannot imagine it being that difficult on the human body to swing a bat 4 times. And than take the rest of the day to recover and get a good nights sleep and than pitch the next day or night. It's not like MLB players have a day job or do a whole lot of physically taxing things on there body when they are not playing. 

If it is so tiring to swing a bat from one day to the next than we should only play Mike Trout every other day..... I am totally kidding.

6 minutes ago, Griffey's Corner said:

I just cannot imagine it being that difficult on the human body to swing a bat 4 times. And than take the rest of the day to recover and get a good nights sleep and than pitch the next day or night. It's not like MLB players have a day job or do a whole lot of physically taxing things on there body when they are not playing. 

If it is so tiring to swing a bat from one day to the next than we should only play Mike Trout every other day..... I am totally kidding.

Four times?  That would be true if he only saw one per per at-bat. You also forgot:

Batting practice.

On-deck circle.

Down the dugout tunnel during the game.

And also it's about getting him used to a prelim routine in 2018, and then hopefully in 2019 stretch the hitting out to every game but the day before and the day he pitches.    And also allow him to make about 3-4 more starts in 2019 than in 2018, as to not stretch the innings out too much.