• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Calhoun

3 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I bet if Kole Calhoun had zero major league track record, but had been good in the minors, and he was bad for 65 ABs, people would be saying “He just needs extended playing time. How is he supposed to learn?”

I am thinking of another guy with a career .197 average who many Angels fans just think didn’t get to play enough to prove himself. 

Ha, sorry, but this board would be littered with posts like: " DFA him immediately ! He obviously sucks. He's worse than Brandon Wood..."

Patience has never been a strong suit here. 

He's been in a slump for a year and a half, he's not going to suddenly snap out of it. I think he may be a permanent casualty of advanced metrics at this point, since he's lost his ability to hit ever since teams started shifting against him. He has the lowest OPS of all qualified hitters in the majors by a wide margin, so Blash really can't possibly be worse. 

7 hours ago, arch stanton said:

If you pinch hit for Rivera you have to use Graterol since Maldo is on bereavement leave. And with Kole, if you’re not letting him hit then there’s no point in him being in the lineup 

It's the 8th inning. You can still pinch hit Young for Rivera and being in Graterol for 2 defensive innings. 

The Shift seems to have started against Kole around 2015. I've thought to myself since last season that Kole's hitting officially died when teams went full shift on him. But the numbers don't seem to actually back up my claim.

So with that being said. I haven't a clue as to why Kole has bombed so hard to start this season (even going back to last season) One would have to think at this point it's all mental. He's never been an outstanding hitter but he's never been this bad either. I love watching him play. I love his heart and how he carries himself. He's a fiery  (no pun intended maybe) player. But this has been awful. I hope he snaps out of it but if he doesn't, I hope we can find a solution at little cost to us. 

The Awful Horrible Slump began April 13th. Friday the 13th.

April 9-12, he was 6 for 15. Then the bottom fell out.

April 13th to present:

16 games, 5 for 58, zero runs, 1 RBI, 2 BB, 20 SO.

.086/.117/.203, .320 OPS

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.fcgi?id=calhoko01&t=b&year=2018#691-706-sum:batting_gamelogs

Edited by fan_since79

I gotta imagine Mike is hoping Calhoun can figure things out.  We are short on LH hitters and were depending on Calhoun being one of the few lefty regulars, but so far... the results are awful.  I am all for patience and hoping players figure things out, but they likewise probably can't keep regularly trotting out a player whose OPS is 0.400.  Maybe a few more weeks, then if no improvement... consider optioning him and having him figure it out in AAA?  He does have 1 option year left.

13 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I gotta imagine Mike is hoping Calhoun can figure things out.  We are short on LH hitters and were depending on Calhoun being one of the few lefty regulars, but so far... the results are awful.  I am all for patience and hoping players figure things out, but they likewise probably can't keep regularly trotting out a player whose OPS is 0.400.  Maybe a few more weeks, then if no improvement... consider optioning him and having him figure it out in AAA?  He does have 1 option year left.

I thought someone was saying here that we had to option him by this weekend or we wouldn't be able to. 

My biggest concern for Kole is that this is a carryover from last year.  I do agree our best option is to let him play through it.  He still gives us a lot of value defensively.  However he does look lost at the plate and Scioscia has let many bets in a major slump play through it but have any really snapped out of it?

Finley?  Joyce? Hamilton? Hillebrand?

Matsuri is the only one I can think of but I dont think he was in the type of slump Calhoun is in right now.

5 hours ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Blash isn't going to be the answer, and neither is Chris Young. But if this continues for another few weeks or so it might be time to look outside the org. for a RF

Doesn't have to be anyone that great

I'm not suggesting that Blash, or Young for that matter, are The Answer. The goal is to get Kole back hitting again. He hit .353 in ST (I know, I know, spring training means nothing) and he's had success in the past, so it's in there; he just needs to work through it. 

My point - why does he need to work through it at the major league level? While saying Blash isn't The Answer is probably correct, couldn't Blash be The Temporary Solution while Kole works on his issues?  If you give each of them 25 at bats against major league pitching right now, this week, who performs better?  If you conclude it is Blash, and you have the options to make it happen, you do the team a disservice by not pulling the trigger.