• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

interesting gun control conversation

intellectual and unique conversation about the nra, gun control, etc. probably a little too long for some here, but i am always interested in open conversations about "controversial" topics that don't include name calling, confirmation bias, and the whole my team versus yours stance. worth a listen if this is a big issue for you. i'm indifferent and don't really care about guns, but found this interesting for someone that isn't that informed with the topic and also i don't know the solution or answer to the topic.

warning: the guest is younger, black, pro-gun, a lawyer, and a nra member.........might ruffle some feathers here.

23 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Joe Rogan is the best interviewer on the planet.

I would have laughed at that concept back when he was doing fear factor.

I enjoy it. I think many are starting to see a slant towards his guests, which may or may not be true. I like his ability to get people from all walks of life and platforms on his show and have actual discourse with an ability to be open to other opinions or views and then having a real conversation about it. If you listen a lot you start to hear some repetitiveness with certain topics like tool bags on Twitter or the internet and how they attack people, group think, tribe mentality, etc.

I'd share more, but don't think most people here have the attention span or ability to think outside their own box.

This was good though. They even get to the end to wrap up and say they ended up in the same spot as they started because the answer to gun control, mass shootings, etc. is not a simple answer, but it was an informative ride to get there. My original reaction here when this topic was brought up many years ago is that people kill people, not guns....the same way drunk drivers kill people, not cars. But as mass shootings picked up saw myself go towards "we need gun control!" as a knee jerk reaction and simpleton response to tragedy. Now I'm reverting back to my original stance because of education and science....and I'll be honest, there may be a contrarian component because the crazy libs that I mainly come across aren't educated on the topic or really know what they are talking about.

I'm going to catch up this weekend and started the Sam Harris and Maajid Nawaz conversation. Pretty fascinating conversation from a guy that was on a terrorist watch list while at the same time across the pond being on an anti-Muslim extremist list. 

Edited by Brandon

6 hours ago, Brandon said:

I enjoy it. I think many are starting to see a slant towards his guests, which may or may not be true. I like his ability to get people from all walks of life and platforms on his show and have actual discourse with an ability to be open to other opinions or views and then having a real conversation about it. If you listen a lot you start to hear some repetitiveness with certain topics like tool bags on Twitter or the internet and how they attack people, group think, tribe mentality, etc.

I'd share more, but don't think most people here have the attention span or ability to think outside their own box.

This was good though. They even get to the end to wrap up and say they ended up in the same spot as they started because the answer to gun control, mass shootings, etc. is not a simple answer, but it was an informative ride to get there. My original reaction here when this topic was brought up many years ago is that people kill people, not guns....the same way drunk drivers kill people, not cars. But as mass shootings picked up saw myself go towards "we need gun control!" as a knee jerk reaction and simpleton response to tragedy. Now I'm reverting back to my original stance because of education and science....and I'll be honest, there may be a contrarian component because the crazy libs that I mainly come across aren't educated on the topic or really know what they are talking about.

I'm going to catch up this weekend and started the Sam Harris and Maajid Nawaz conversation. Pretty fascinating conversation from a guy that was on a terrorist watch list while at the same time across the pond being on an anti-Muslim extremist list. 

Check out any of the episodes with Jordan Peterson, I cant recommend those ones enough.

2 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Check out any of the episodes with Jordan Peterson, I cant recommend those ones enough.

I've seen him twice. I knew about that Rogan podcast many years ago, but it seemed odd when I first came across it. I only started watching on Youtube late last year because of the comedians on there. I saw the one with him alone a while back and recently he was on with one of the Weinstein brothers (I think Brett). I'm not too big into the social bullshit like SJW's, transgender, etc. but he makes a lot of valid points on his thought process.

I recently bought some books and one of them was his 12 Steps book that just came out and is on top of all the book charts. Haven't cracked it open yet, but expect good things or something to take away from it.

8 minutes ago, InsideThePark said:

Favorite Rogan podcast guests I've listened to thus far: Neil deGrasse Tyson, Sam Harris, Bill Burr, Leah Remini, Cara Santa Maria, Jamie Foxx, Steve-O, Amber Lyons... I'm probably leaving a couple more out.

Got to give it up to the guy as a podcaster, he knows how to get the most out of his guests.

Funny you mention this because I was just having this convo with someone else that watches/listens. I won't remember them all, but here we go. The ones below this initial list are great for everyone and must see's, especially the David Goggins one.

-Theo Von.....he's going to be the new Bill Burr and is hilarious as F*ck and even has his own hilarious podcast

-Bill Burr.....no synopsis needed

-The episode he did with Tom Segura, Bert Kreischer, and Ari Shafir after they did the Sober October thing.....I think Joe even cries on it telling the guys how much they mean to him

-Any episode with Joey Diaz.....the one with Yoel Romero where it was in half English, half Spanish where he translated for Yoel was great

-The Jamie Foxx one may have been one of the first I saw and why I stuck, that was solid.

The three that stick out the most from my conversation that I'll never forget and is a must see for anyone from any walk of life. These are so worthwhile for everyone that I'll link them because they will change your life. I think this site auto populates the video screens for Youtube and I apologize for that:

-Matt Walker....this was last week and has to do with sleep and the science of sleep and it's importance. I've never been been more amazed in my life than that podcast. It's literally a game changer and a life changer with how to approach sleep and what sleep does and means for us as humans. I took so much away from this. (he's from Cal so of course it's legit)

-Jon Danaher....one of the Brazilian Ju-jitsu og's. It was profound with regards to the thought process for martial arts. His thought process and way he goes about teaching is something I love and a great example for others to teach or improve others. Not just BJJ, but it got me to think different with problems or thought processes.

-David Goggins....most here may know him. He's an ex-Navy Seal that holds the record for pull-ups and does ultra marathons. He's a motivational speaker now while working on projects and it really shows. This is one of the most motivational and inspirational conversations I've ever seen. If you think your life sucks, you're an angry internet troll, or need a pick me up, you simply cannot watch this and not be moved. This was one of the most real things I've ever watched and will even go back to now and then because it was just profound. If you hate or don't care to watch any of the videos, at least give this one a try as it's life changing.

I didn't know Theo Von was on his podcast... surprised it didn't show up in my recommendations. Sometimes I just listen in while driving but for that one I'm going to have to lay back and watch it. I put the other three you recommended in my watch later list. The one with the sleep expert seems really intriguing.

I'm just going to drop this one in here. It's the best part of one of Iliza Shlesinger's appearances. Some of you might know her from Last Comic Standing or just her stand up in general. This story she tells about her ex is great.

7 hours ago, InsideThePark said:

I didn't know Theo Von was on his podcast... surprised it didn't show up in my recommendations. Sometimes I just listen in while driving but for that one I'm going to have to lay back and watch it. I put the other three you recommended in my watch later list. The one with the sleep expert seems really intriguing.

I'm just going to drop this one in here. It's the best part of one of Iliza Shlesinger's appearances. Some of you might know her from Last Comic Standing or just her stand up in general. This story she tells about her ex is great.

Yeah, let me know how they work out for you dude. I just watched that sleep one yesterday and even shared it on my Facebook page because it was so profound and valuable. I enjoy thought processes and life lessons like how Danaher teaches and talks, but you can pass that one up if you're not into MMA or martial arts as it's basically one big BJJ discussion....but they he explains and leads Joe down a path of enlightenment is pretty cool. That episode just stuck with me from a different perspective angle. The Goggins one is just must see for everyone. I even watched it again last night after I posted it because it played by accident and you just can't turn it off once he starts going.

Theo's is great because it's relatively new and it's fun to watch him build it. Didn't even know who he was but was at the Comedy Store one night and he comes on and starts off with his gender neutral haircut bit and then proceeded to just slay the room and stole the show. Then I saw him on JRE pretty much at the same time and his appearance and bit about eating a Vietnamese had me dying. He mostly does his podcast alone like how Burr does his, but recently setup and has had 2-3 guests on. If you like his comedy his podcast is a good hour, it's called This Past Weekend and lately he's been putting them up on late Sunday night.

As soon as I saw the Iliza screen cap I immediately thought of that story. Facking wild. That was my biggest takeaway and remembrance of that episode. (looks like the f word has been censored the same way c*nt is)

Edited by Brandon

15 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

I'll actually do this today. I think I had it pegged wrong when you first posted this. I remember his solo appearance a couple months ago but it seemed geared more towards issues like morons on the internet with insecurities or why people are so angry or intentionally angry on the internet and just going down that rabbit hole with his debates and his internet communication......but......

I re-watched the Goggins one last night that turned into me starting the Jocko Willink (another wildly motivational one for those here) episode and in the comments section Jordan Peterson is brought up a lot in the same ilk as Goggins and Willink. I really enjoy these "get your shit together and here's the mindset that goes with it" and it seems like the Jordan episodes are similar. Is that correct?

I'm trying to catch up on my podcasts, but am also going down a rabbit hole and stopping for these types. If Jordan fits in this box I'd like to put him ahead of some of these others I have in line.

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

I'll actually do this today. I think I had it pegged wrong when you first posted this. I remember his solo appearance a couple months ago but it seemed geared more towards issues like morons on the internet with insecurities or why people are so angry or intentionally angry on the internet and just going down that rabbit hole with his debates and his internet communication......but......

I re-watched the Goggins one last night that turned into me starting the Jocko Willink (another wildly motivational one for those here) episode and in the comments section Jordan Peterson is brought up a lot in the same ilk as Goggins and Willink. I really enjoy these "get your shit together and here's the mindset that goes with it" and it seems like the Jordan episodes are similar. Is that correct?

I'm trying to catch up on my podcasts, but am also going down a rabbit hole and stopping for these types. If Jordan fits in this box I'd like to put him ahead of some of these others I have in line.

That's some of what Jordan is about for sure, but he goes seriously deep into it. Like why people are the way they are, hierarchal structures, he talks a lot about old philsophers like Carl Jung and others. He's an incredibly interesting dude to listen to.

On Sun May 06 2018 at 6:35 AM, Brandon said:

Yeah, let me know how they work out for you dude. I just watched that sleep one yesterday and even shared it on my Facebook page because it was so profound and valuable. I enjoy thought processes and life lessons like how Danaher teaches and talks, but you can pass that one up if you're not into MMA or martial arts as it's basically one big BJJ discussion....but they he explains and leads Joe down a path of enlightenment is pretty cool. That episode just stuck with me from a different perspective angle. The Goggins one is just must see for everyone. I even watched it again last night after I posted it because it played by accident and you just can't turn it off once he starts going.

Theo's is great because it's relatively new and it's fun to watch him build it. Didn't even know who he was but was at the Comedy Store one night and he comes on and starts off with his gender neutral haircut bit and then proceeded to just slay the room and stole the show. Then I saw him on JRE pretty much at the same time and his appearance and bit about eating a Vietnamese had me dying. He mostly does his podcast alone like how Burr does his, but recently setup and has had 2-3 guests on. If you like his comedy his podcast is a good hour, it's called This Past Weekend and lately he's been putting them up on late Sunday night.

As soon as I saw the Iliza screen cap I immediately thought of that story. Facking wild. That was my biggest takeaway and remembrance of that episode. (looks like the f word has been censored the same way c*nt is)

It may be a little while but yeah I'll let you know. It's been about a couple months since I last listened to one of his podcasts but I'll eventually get back into it. I tend to listen to them in streaks. I still need to listen to Kevin Smith and a couple of more Dan Carlin appearances I've been meaning to get to.

I actually first knew Theo Von like a decade and a half ago when he was doing Road Rules and the challenge lol. Didn't really see him as a comic back then but he was only in his early twenties. he did have likeability going for him, and that obviously is an important component in being a good comic.

Speaking of Jordan Peterson, the guy is obviously well-read and usually knows what he's talking about but he pretty much made a fool out of himself during his first appearance on Sam Harris's podcast. He spent way too much time defending a very defeatable argument. Thankfully he didn't make that same mistake in his second appearance.

1 hour ago, InsideThePark said:

It may be a little while but yeah I'll let you know. It's been about a couple months since I last listened to one of his podcasts but I'll eventually get back into it. I tend to listen to them in streaks. I still need to listen to Kevin Smith and a couple of more Dan Carlin appearances I've been meaning to get to.

I actually first knew Theo Von like a decade and a half ago when he was doing Road Rules and the challenge lol. Didn't really see him as a comic back then but he was only in his early twenties. he did have likeability going for him, and that obviously is an important component in being a good comic.

Speaking of Jordan Peterson, the guy is obviously well-read and usually knows what he's talking about but he pretty much made a fool out of himself during his first appearance on Sam Harris's podcast. He spent way too much time defending a very defeatable argument. Thankfully he didn't make that same mistake in his second appearance.

Yeah, I had no idea that was the same Theo until I looked him up more after the Comedy Store show and the JRE podcast. He used to be jacked on those challenge shows and even says he was a dumb kid on roids back then. I remember him in Real World and those challenge shows way back when. Probably the only Real World I watched. Ironically, I think one of the chicks from that season is married to the guitar player from Glassjaw....in a weird six degrees of separation angle.

On 5/5/2018 at 7:58 PM, InsideThePark said:

Favorite Rogan podcast guests I've listened to thus far: Neil deGrasse Tyson, Sam Harris, Bill Burr, Leah Remini, Cara Santa Maria, Jamie Foxx, Steve-O, Amber Lyons... I'm probably leaving a couple more out.

Got to give it up to the guy as a podcaster, he knows how to get the most out of his guests.

All of those are very good and there are probably a hundred more that are just as good. 

It is so refreshing to to hear people just talk to each other and share their ideas no matter how different, unorthodox or in disagreement with the host they may or may not be. So many good podcasts now. It is all about the guests and all about the host allowing them to share freely. Rogan seems pretty dense to me in a lot of ways but I love that he doesn't pretend to know everything and I like how selective he is about sharing his opinions. He's totally comfortable not "knowing everything." 

5 hours ago, Adam said:

All of those are very good and there are probably a hundred more that are just as good. 

It is so refreshing to to hear people just talk to each other and share their ideas no matter how different, unorthodox or in disagreement with the host they may or may not be. So many good podcasts now. It is all about the guests and all about the host allowing them to share freely. Rogan seems pretty dense to me in a lot of ways but I love that he doesn't pretend to know everything and I like how selective he is about sharing his opinions. He's totally comfortable not "knowing everything." 

One of the best parts of listening to his podcasts is discovering personalities you weren't familiar with before. There's been dozens of those for me, and often times they turn out to be some of my favorites. I even liked his podcast with Ben Shapiro, even though we have different outlooks on a lot of things. One of my favorite parts of that interview was how Shapiro described the social hierarchy at college campuses. I'm sure some of you have heard him talk about that a bunch of times. I haven't stepped foot on a college campus in ages but I don't have much reason to doubt that he's spot-on.

I agree with your assessment on Rogan. I like that he's pretty humble, laid-back and chill. Seeing him on Fear Factor and occasionally listening to him call an MMA fight, I wasn't expecting that. Personally I don't find him to be hilarious or anything but when he gets going sometimes, he can have a way with words.

30 minutes ago, InsideThePark said:

One of the best parts of listening to his podcasts is discovering personalities you weren't familiar with before. There's been dozens of those for me, and often times they turn out to be some of my favorites. I even liked his podcast with Ben Shapiro, even though we have different outlooks on a lot of things. One of my favorite parts of that interview was how Shapiro described the social hierarchy at college campuses. I'm sure some of you have heard him talk about that a bunch of times. I haven't stepped foot on a college campus in ages but I don't have much reason to doubt that he's spot-on.

I agree with your assessment on Rogan. I like that he's pretty humble, laid-back and chill. Seeing him on Fear Factor and occasionally listening to him call an MMA fight, I wasn't expecting that. Personally I don't find him to be hilarious or anything but when he gets going sometimes, he can have a way with words.

He honestly might be the least funny comedian working. I suppose that is a matter of taste. But he's a chill dude and non-confrontational (at least in his podcast format) which is super refreshing. I dig the nutrition people he has on. 

50 minutes ago, Adam said:

He honestly might be the least funny comedian working. I suppose that is a matter of taste. But he's a chill dude and non-confrontational (at least in his podcast format) which is super refreshing. I dig the nutrition people he has on. 

I can honestly say I’ve never heard his comedy but least funny? How did he take that from Amy Schumer?