• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

The greatest baseball brawl ever

One of my favorites was Mark Whiten dotting Jack McDowell with one of the best punches landed I have seen in a baseball fight.  McDowell was such a popoff douche so it was pure pleasure seeing it.

The best was that McDowell wore those huge round sunglasses for the next week to hide the embarrassing shiner, including for a full in studio interview with Roy Firestone.  He looked like such a fool hiding behind those glasses!

52 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

Something legendary indeed. We'll tell our kids about the times when players would play with passion and weren't afraid of ejections and things to duke it out every now and then. Heck, it often got players to bond and get fired up to make a push for the playoffs.

Not a fight per se, but when some stupid Dodger players played a bad joke on newly arrived Kirk Gibson at the start of spring training in 1988, he stormed off the field and let everyone know of his disgust. There was a team meeting, an apology, and the juvenile pranks stopped. This incident is credited for an attitude change among the players.

1 minute ago, fan_since79 said:

Not a fight per se, but when some stupid Dodger players played a bad joke on newly arrived Kirk Gibson at the start of spring training in 1988, he stormed off the field and let everyone know of his disgust. There was a team meeting, an apology, and the juvenile pranks stopped. This incident is credited for an attitude change among the players.

I have heard that this entire story is pretty much a marketing fabrication.  Generously "inspired by true events" at best.

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I have heard that this entire story is pretty much a marketing fabrication.  Generously "inspired by true events" at best.

Well, it's a believable story, given Gibson's well known dislike of that kind of thing. He was especially upset since the results of the prank were discovered on the field before spectators, and he was embarrassed. The L.A. Times thought the incident was real. The idea that it helped to bond the team that year and got them committed to winning may have been a marketing add-on, I'll give you that, but the actual incident and Gibson's reaction were real.

http://articles.latimes.com/1988-03-05/sports/sp-261_1_kirk-gibson

1 minute ago, fan_since79 said:

Well, it's a believable story, given Gibson's well known dislike of that kind of thing. He was especially upset since the results of the prank were discovered on the field before spectators, and he was embarrassed. The L.A. Times thought the incident was real. The idea that it helped to bond the team that year and got them committed to winning may have been a marketing add-on, I'll give you that, but the actual incident and Gibson's reaction were real.

http://articles.latimes.com/1988-03-05/sports/sp-261_1_kirk-gibson

It is a great story.  That's kind of the point.  Everyone wins with it told as it is told.  Is it true exactly or is it massaged based on some truth?

Who would object to any artistic license here?  The Dodgers?  Gibson?  The paper selling the story?

My favorite was from spring training 2003 - Guillermo Mota of the dogs hit Mike Piazza (then a Met). Mike charged the mound and Mota took off his mitt and threw it at him while backpedaling past 2nd and into the OF. He circled around wide of 1st, down the dugout steps, and into the clubhouse running backwards all the way, trying to fend off a furious Piazza. Funniest thing I've ever seen. Tried to find the video a few times since, but it has mysteriously vanished from the interwebs.