• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

Last Year's Pitching

I know this could have been in another thread so I kind of apologize

Last year we were supposed to have the best rotation in all of baseball. It was supposed to be great. And it sucked. Yet we barely missed the playoffs. So can you blame JD for wanting to go a different route this year? It hasn't worked, but I can't blame him for trying to have similar starting pitching, a better bullpen and a better offense. In theory it should have worked.

I'm sick of people saying he didn't address the pitching. He definitely did last year and it definitely didn't work. Did you want him to repeat the same mistake?

I know this could have been in another thread so I kind of apologize

Last year we were supposed to have the best rotation in all of baseball. It was supposed to be great. And it sucked. Yet we barely missed the playoffs. So can you blame JD for wanting to go a different route this year? It hasn't worked, but I can't blame him for trying to have similar starting pitching, a better bullpen and a better offense. In theory it should have worked.

I'm sick of people saying he didn't address the pitching. He definitely did last year and it definitely didn't work. Did you want him to repeat the same mistake?

With no farm system and very few pitchers reaching free agency any more, there really was no way for Dipoto to significantly improve the pitching.

That said, I do think he could have yielded as much improvement to the offense for a lot less money. If we wanted some left bats IMO we should have picked up Nick Swisher and AJ Pierzynski, then kept Iannetta as the backup catcher. AJP would have been a major upgrade both in the CERA department, and defense behind the plate. If the Yankees can sign Kevin Youkilis, the Angels could have gotten over the 2005 ALCS situation. 

We also should have installed a new coaching staff and kept one of Haren or Santana. It's obvious from little sniping comments in the newspaper that Scioscia and Dipoto have completely contradictory philosophies on how to run the org. I blame the lack of change in that department on Arte giving Scioscia a ridiculous ten year contract. 

Despite all those who say Scisocia can't pitch or hit, biggest indictment there is a consistent track record of teams starting out of the gate poorly in April. That suggest lack of preparation from management during spring training. This year to have a chance we needed to start out strong and that has been an utter failure.