• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Andrew Heaney

back to back nice starts and outside of that start against San Francisco has been nails.

16.0 IP

6 ER

18 SO

17 Hits

3 Walks

Read a story in spring that he had most of his success throwing from the 1st base side rather than the 3rd and it seems to be true as he pitched from the 1st base side his last 2 starts. However, I remember reading the reason he switched to the 3rd base side was to avoid throwing across his body which makes him susceptible to injury. I could be wrong but I believe I read that somewhere i think on the OC Register maybe @Jeff Fletcher can confirm. If all this is true is the risk worth the reward?

If he can pitch anywhere like he did in 2015 (105.2 IP, 3.49 ERA, 1.20 WHIP), it would be a big boost to the pitching. Obviously, big "IF" since he's been hurt like every single year in his career but he's got big time potential to be a good pitcher for a long time.  He pitched like that guy tonight, even though he struck out like only 1 batter.

6 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

If he can pitch anywhere like he did in 2015 (105.2 IP, 3.49 ERA, 1.20 WHIP), it would be a big boost to the pitching. Obviously, big "IF" since he's been hurt like every single year in his career but he's got big time potential to be a good pitcher for a long time.  He pitched like that guy tonight, even though he struck out like only 1 batter.

10 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'm liking what I'm seeing - not just the stuff, which is good but not great, but his overall presence. He seems like he can be a good #3 or a fringe #2. Like Skaggs.

I believe that is what scouts pegged his ceiling as when he was a top prospect: a #2-3 pitcher in the rotation. Hopefully he keeps it up and stays healthy.

I honestly think the stuff has always been there, he just needs to get out of his own head, I'm hoping last nights start builds towards a solid season. One thing I've always respected about Matt Shoemaker was that his stuff wasn't as good, but he has a great mentality on the mound that overcame his lack of an amazing arm. I would love to see Heaney, Skaggs, and Grich build a similar mentality.

Heaney is a competitor. He may not have number 1 or 2 type stuff, but his ability to stay in games and give quality innings is extremely valuable. I hope for his sake that he can stay healthy as he seems like an all around good guy. I'm definitely rooting for his success.

When he was first drafted, I thought that for sure the Marlins had found themselves a staff ace. He was 21, left handed, easy delivery and throwing an effortless 92-94 with some deception.

The Marlins tracked him well through the minors, but he didn't add velo the way they thought he would. So the trade for Dee Gordon made sense from their perspective.

Not sure what the Dodgers were thinking flipping Heaney for Kendrick though. At any rate, the Angels were fortunate and it's probably the second best trade Dipoto ever made.

Fast forward and Heaney still sits 92-94, but now he can throw his breaking ball for a strike. His change up used to figure more prominently and I'd like to see that happen again.

But I think the end result is a consistent #3-4 starter.

If he and Skaggs can remain healthy and effective, the Angels will have a solid 1-5. Their playoff rotation would still leave something to be desired, but they really wouldn't be in October in the first place if not for Heaney pitching well.

9 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

When he was first drafted, I thought that for sure the Marlins had found themselves a staff ace. He was 21, left handed, easy delivery and throwing an effortless 92-94 with some deception.

The Marlins tracked him well through the minors, but he didn't add velo the way they thought he would. So the trade for Dee Gordon made sense from their perspective.

Not sure what the Dodgers were thinking flipping Heaney for Kendrick though. At any rate, the Angels were fortunate and it's probably the second best trade Dipoto ever made.

Fast forward and Heaney still sits 92-94, but now he can throw his breaking ball for a strike. His change up used to figure more prominently and I'd like to see that happen again.

If he and Skaggs can remain healthy and effective, the Angels will have a solid 1-5. Their playoff rotation would still leave something to be desired, but they really wouldn't be in October in the first place if not for Heaney pitching well.

Injuries definitely halted his progression and we may actually be seeing the best he has at this point in his career. Unfortunately injuries stop a lot of great careers before they ever get off the ground. That is what makes the people who actually play 15+ years so incredible. Not only can they play at such a high level but to do so for so long is insane.

27 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

If he and Skaggs can remain healthy and effective, the Angels will have a solid 1-5.

That's always the big "if," isn't it?

BTW who's the #1 again?

9 hours ago, John Taylor said:

I honestly think the stuff has always been there, he just needs to get out of his own head, I'm hoping last nights start builds towards a solid season. One thing I've always respected about Matt Shoemaker was that his stuff wasn't as good, but he has a great mentality on the mound that overcame his lack of an amazing arm. I would love to see Heaney, Skaggs, and Grich build a similar mentality.

Maybe while the Cobbler is healing, he can school these kids some. Seems most the time if the three kids are not pitching, they are throwing peanuts and popcorn at each other during interviews. 

2 hours ago, Dick Enberg said:

Maybe while the Cobbler is healing, he can school these kids some. Seems most the time if the three kids are not pitching, they are throwing peanuts and popcorn at each other during interviews. 

Just not water bottles at post-game interviewees

23 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Glancing at Fangraphs pretty much bears out your thinking - his most effective pitch is the change, the sinker and curve are actually a bit below average - but the curve has improved as an effective pitch.  He throws the change about 20% of the time - I mean, it's not a pitch you can throw every time and be effective, but could probably work it in a few more times a game in leverage counts.

In a way, I'm fairly happy with our starters - provided they stay, well, *you know* -  the worst-case coming in could have been a debacle - relatively healthy, the team will stay in contention throughout - not gonna run away, but we'll be in the mix, pending some move(s).