• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Angels vs. Orioles (5/2/2018)

3 hours ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

That is my point exactly. Do you think every team has a concrete 7th, 8th and 9th inning reliever? Scioscia has to be able to figure it out. If he can't, how does that make him any different from you and I? Are you telling me you couldn't go in there and just find the freshest arm on a clipboard and bring that guy in? Oh look we have a lefty coming up, lets bring in the lefty to face this guy! I understand scouting reports, I understand situational pitching. You have to be able to make chicken salad out of chicken shit if you are a major league manager.

What other managers have incompetent pitchers that are performing well for them? Scioscia can only bring in the guy he thinks has the best chance of success. After that the actual pitcher has to do his damn job. 

12 hours ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

After 2 batters you have enough info on the pitcher to understand he doesn't have it. That should be when the coach stops sitting on his thumbs and does his job. Typical scioscia. I'm telling you he relies on bs to keep his job. This is trash 

51 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Complaining about Scioscia with my opinion of his managing style is not trolling. Responding to someones opinions by just telling them they are a dumbass IS THE DEFINITION of trolling. Hello......earth to Storm. Welcome to reality.

I've only been posting regularly for the last couple months, but in that time it's been my observation, AF1984, that the majority of times when you first weigh in to a conversation, it is in order to paint Scioscia in the worst possible light, whether justified or not. A great example was the first quote above - we have discussed at length why it was the absolute right move to leave Paredes in the game with a 10-2 lead, after the first two batters reached. Yet you characterize his actions as "sitting on his thumbs ... Typical Scioscia".  You were wrong. He was doing his job, managing his bullpen, bringing home the win. It's frustrating to see Paredes struggle out there, but that doesn't make it Scioscia's fault - he's not interested in maintaining a 'run differential'. He's not interested in blowing a team out. He's interested in a) winning the game b) managing his resources, and c) developing his personnel. He did all three of those well last night.  

As I said, this is just the latest example. But this has been my observation in watching your posts. To me, my friend, that IS the definition of trolling. Now, I'm not a Scioscia apologist; I respect the things he has done for the team, I recognize that he has had shortcomings that have been brought into the spotlight with the advent of the current analytics available, and I am impressed at what I've seen of his efforts to overcome those short-comings so far this year. Do I think he's the right manager for the team going forward after next year? Probably not, but let's wait and see. All I'm saying is, the next time you take your pot-shot at Mike, take a second and try to figure out if it's warranted, or if maybe it's just an example of confirmation bias.  

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

What other managers have incompetent pitchers that are performing well for them? Scioscia can only bring in the guy he thinks has the best chance of success. After that the actual pitcher has to do his damn job. 

Look at Houstons BP from last year? I'm pretty sure they won the WS.

1 minute ago, Pablo said:

I've only been posting regularly for the last couple months, but in that time it's been my observation, AF1984, that the majority of times when you first weigh in to a conversation, it is in order to paint Scioscia in the worst possible light, whether justified or not. A great example was the first quote above - we have discussed at length why it was the absolute right move to leave Paredes in the game with a 10-2 lead, after the first two batters reached. Yet you characterize his actions as "sitting on his thumbs ... Typical Scioscia".  You were wrong. He was doing his job, managing his bullpen, bringing home the win. It's frustrating to see Paredes struggle out there, but that doesn't make it Scioscia's fault - he's not interested in maintaining a 'run differential'. He's not interested in blowing a team out. He's interested in a) winning the game b) managing his resources, and c) developing his personnel. He did all three of those well last night.  

As I said, this is just the latest example. But this has been my observation in watching your posts. To me, my friend, that IS the definition of trolling. Now, I'm not a Scioscia apologist; I respect the things he has done for the team, I recognize that he has had shortcomings that have been brought into the spotlight with the advent of the current analytics available, and I am impressed at what I've seen of his efforts to overcome those short-comings so far this year. Do I think he's the right manager for the team going forward after next year? Probably not, but let's wait and see. All I'm saying is, the next time you take your pot-shot at Mike, take a second and try to figure out if it's warranted, or if maybe it's just an example of confirmation bias.  

I can appreciate your candid response and while I agree with you that my distaste for Scioscia is often over exaggerated, it falls within the notion that he's consistently inconsistent. In my opinion, he makes the same mistakes over and over. while yes I do agree that he is working towards addressing his short comings (as I mentioned previously that I give him credit for how quickly he's making changes this year vs previous years) I don't think its quick enough.

At the end of the day you are right, the main goal is to win the game. However a mistake is still a mistake regardless of the outcome. You can win by messing up and you can lose by doing everything correctly. He would be an outstanding manager and probably have a couple playoff wins if he were able to simply be more consistent in terms of his lineups and bp management. The comments about his weight and lack of motivation are simply jokes surrounding a much more serious issue to me. I root for them to win not to lose, I probably take their wins/losses much harder than an average fan should. If Scioscia were making the progress in certain areas we'd have much more success in recent years than we've actually had. The numbers don't lie. We've had the best player on the planet for 5+ years and we've yet to win a playoff game in that time. That's not acceptable and people shouldn't be willing to accept the excuses behind it. Success starts at the top and they need to put together more quality decisions and I promise you will see a turn around in their success.