• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scioscia pulling Tropeano last night

Glen

1 minute ago, Glen said:

Ok, listen up, jackwagons.  You know that it was May 1, and this is Trop's first full season back after TJ surgery, right?  Trop had thrown 88 pitches through 6.1 innings.  It's a long season.  God forbid the manager think ahead and try to save some of his arm for later in the season.

I'm as critical of Sosh as most of the rational people here, but seriously.  It was a non-issue.  STFU about it and get over it.

All the same people whining about it would be crying the team was cursed and how they can't keep guys healthy had he gone back out and blown out his elbow.

24 minutes ago, Glen said:

Ok, listen up, jackwagons.  You know that it was May 1, and this is Trop's first full season back after TJ surgery, right?  Trop had thrown 88 pitches through 6.1 innings.  It's a long season.  God forbid the manager think ahead and try to save some of his arm for later in the season.

I'm as critical of Sosh as most of the rational people here, but seriously.  It was a non-issue.  STFU about it and get over it.

Fantastic post.  He's on a strict pitch count I'm sure.  He has looked really good of late, save for the end of the Astros game.  Keep the dude healthy and rely on your pen to finish the game.  My only issue was using Anderson that early in the game.  Would have preferred using a different reliever in that circumstance (1 out, no one on) as opposed to using our hottest one.

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Fantastic post.  He's on a strict pitch count I'm sure.  He has looked really good of late, save for the end of the Astros game.  Keep the dude healthy and rely on your pen to finish the game.  My only issue was using Anderson that early in the game.  Would have preferred using a different reliever in that circumstance (1 out, no one on) as opposed to using our hottest one.

I think Anderson was the right choice in that situation with a runner on base. Losing Middleton is a big deal ... Cam doesn’t have the moxie to close it seems. 

7 minutes ago, TroutField said:

Scioscia has had no issue pushing Skaggs’ pitch count, what’s wrong with Letting Trop get into the 90s? We weren’t asking for a complete game out of him ...

Third time around in the lineup theory seeing the same pitcher 

I have no problem with Scioscia's handling of Trop.....but if we don't get the back end of the pen figured out, it's going to put a lot of pressure on the starters.....you can work around a lot of things but it's tough to win without some consistency from the pen when you have a lead late....

55 minutes ago, TroutField said:

Scioscia has had no issue pushing Skaggs’ pitch count, what’s wrong with Letting Trop get into the 90s? We weren’t asking for a complete game out of him ...

Skaggs TJ was in September of 2014.   

Tropeano's was in September of 2016.

Do you need any further explanation of the difference between the two?

So I checked out Tropeano’s game logs this morning.  He has four starts and each start he has pitched between 88 and 91 pitches.  Each start he has been replaced mid-inning.  I would venture to say he is on a strict pitch count, and I would also assume that is due to being fresh off of TJ surgery. 

1 hour ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

If only there was a guy on the team who had back to back 50 save seasons and is pitching extremely well this year to close games out for us. Maybe one day well get lucky enough to have a guy like this.

How many teams have this?

1 hour ago, DMVol said:

I have no problem with Scioscia's handling of Trop.....but if we don't get the back end of the pen figured out, it's going to put a lot of pressure on the starters.....you can work around a lot of things but it's tough to win without some consistency from the pen when you have a lead late....

The back end of the pen was figured out, but Middleton got dehydrated.

1 minute ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

I can tell you 1.

Oh, you're talking about Jim Johnson. I just looked, and his back-to-back 50-save seasons were in 2011 and 2012. Last year, he blew 9 saves in 31 opportunities. Do we really want to hand the closer role to a guy who blows it in 1 out of 3 save opportunities?

2 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Oh, you're talking about Jim Johnson. I just looked, and his back-to-back 50-save seasons were in 2011 and 2012. Last year, he blew 9 saves in 31 opportunities. Do we really want to hand the closer role to a guy who blows it in 1 out of 3 save opportunities?

As opposed to the guys who are blowing it 100% of the time? I'll take my chances. Closing out a game is more about mental makeup than actual stuff. As an experienced veteran closer he's not likely to fold under the pressure the way these guys are. Bedrosian and Parker look like they are throwing scared in the 9th. While they may actually have better stuff than JJ, their not mentally capable of closing the game out.

I’m not sold on either guy.   I read somewhere this morning that Bedrosian has an ERA of 1.72 in the 6-7th innings for his career.  Johnson is two outings away from having a poor outing as well.   I just don’t know if either have the stuff to be decent closers.