• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Recipe Of The Day: Texas Stacked Enchiladas with Corn and Black Beans

Vegetarian Stacked Enchiladas

In my early days of cooking, I had a friend from California who introduced me to what she called Texas Enchiladas. Instead of the usual filled and rolled enchiladas, the tortillas were fried, dipped in sauce, sandwiched with filling and then stacked in layers.

I have not been able to discover the exact origin of this version of enchiladas, but I think they are popular in Northern Mexico, west Texas and in New Mexico.

The bottom line: delicioso!

Continue reading "Texas Stacked Enchiladas with Corn and Black Beans" »

MfYaT39zLQo

View the full article

50 minutes ago, RallyMo said:

@Thomas, make these and tell us how they taste.

Most enchiladas served here are stacked and they claim that their origin is here.  Because rolling them is too damn hard and way too much work for residents of this state.  Our culinary contribution is laziness! But I have way too much dignity to make or consume a tomato based chile sauce. Let alone put a side dish in enchiladas.

I make a version of this, but I don't fry the tortillas first.  I steam them first, then dip them in hot enchilada sauce (sorry @Thomas but I use canned enchilada sauce...haven't found a good enchilada sauce recipe yet), then build layers on a cookie sheet.  My mix usually is shredded cheese, scallions, sliced black olives and whatever else is in the fridge and sounds appealing.  Build three layers, ladle more sauce on top, cover with cheese and into the oven for 20 minutes or so.  I usually accompany with a chimichurri flank steak off the grill.

I asked some of the hispanic teachers, at the El Monte elementary school she worked at, their recipe for enchiladas.

It started off friendly enough amoungst the ladies until it got to how to prepare the tortillas. Then it got ugly between the dip the tortilla first in sauce then dip in hot oil or dip it in oil first. Talk about your Mathis vs Napoli debate. 

What I came away with is have Lou's mom make them. 

My family is from El Paso, Texas and New Mexico and my understanding is that they do originate from New Mexico.

My mother made them stacked with the tortillas fried in lard first, then dipped in New Mexico red chile sauce.  You put cheese and fresh onions in between the enchiladas and then top them off with a couple of over easy fried eggs and more sauce.  I prefer the tortillas a little toasty so there's a little crunch.  Delish!  

On 4/30/2018 at 9:54 AM, Thomas said:

Most enchiladas served here are stacked and they claim that their origin is here.  Because rolling them is too damn hard and way too much work for residents of this state.  Our culinary contribution is laziness! But I have way too much dignity to make or consume a tomato based chile sauce. Let alone put a side dish in enchiladas.

GET A ROPE.

SplendidDirtyGermanshepherd-max-1mb.gif