• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ohtani Contract

wopphil

Obviously there is lots of time to see how good he is going to be and to try to place a value on that. But he has clearly established he is an absolute freak of an athlete who might be able to dominate on both sides of the ball.

If you were running the Angels, what do you offer him this offseason to lock him up long term?  I cannot think of any player who received $100 mil+ after a single year of service, but obviously Ohtani should blow past that. 

No need to rush this. He is under team control for 6 years. Money doesn't seem to be a deciding factor to him. Unlike other prospects that we draft and have exclusive rights to, Ohtani chose to join us we, didn't pick him as much as he picked us. I think he will be patient and stay the course while we lock up Trout and continue to use the money to improve this team.

28 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

No need to rush this. He is under team control for 6 years. Money doesn't seem to be a deciding factor to him. Unlike other prospects that we draft and have exclusive rights to, Ohtani chose to join us we, didn't pick him as much as he picked us. I think he will be patient and stay the course while we lock up Trout and continue to use the money to improve this team.

This.

We still need to figure out just who he is gona be in the long run. He clearly has established that he has the talent to me a good player on both sides of the ball. The real question is going to be, how do the Angels maximize his talents?

If you take his health out of the equation, even with the power he has shown, I think the hitting actually detracts from his value if it is limiting the amount of time he can spend on the mound.  In the long run I think he has to be able to play a position in the field to make the tradeoff worth it. 

I personally think it would be cool for MLB to make some adjustments to the substitution / DH rules that would make his unique talents more valuable. Something like, allowing the Angels to play with NL rules when they are the home team and Ohtani is pitching, or electing a DH for a position other than pitcher. 

33 minutes ago, stormngt said:

If we offered 100 million extensions after 1 year MLB will void our contract 

Not true, not even close. It would only be an issue if there was evidence it was promised to him as an inducement to sign with us in the first instance.

21 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

Right now I’d let him work through a couple of years.  By year three I’d be talking about something like 8 years $100 million.  That’s assuming he’s still pitching well. 

Still? We’re talking about a guy who has pitched 3 games with a 4.43 ERA.

I’m not saying he’s bad but at this point we don’t know what he’ll be. Could be Kershaw, could be CJ Wilson with a 100 MLB fastball.

2 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

Beat me to it . There’s no way the Angels are going to offer this guy a contract extension in the next 3 or 4 years.  

Dont think they will wait that long.  If he 0lays as e expected we can see an extension after year 2 like Trout

2 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

We still need to figure out just who he is gona be in the long run. He clearly has established that he has the talent to me a good player on both sides of the ball. The real question is going to be, how do the Angels maximize his talents?

If you take his health out of the equation, even with the power he has shown, I think the hitting actually detracts from his value if it is limiting the amount of time he can spend on the mound.  In the long run I think he has to be able to play a position in the field to make the tradeoff worth it. 

I personally think it would be cool for MLB to make some adjustments to the substitution / DH rules that would make his unique talents more valuable. Something like, allowing the Angels to play with NL rules when they are the home team and Ohtani is pitching, or electing a DH for a position other than pitcher. 

He can hit when he pitches. Don't need a rile change for that.

24 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

He can but they won't. If he only goes 3 innings it becomes a huge liability.

"I personally think it would be cool for MLB to make some adjustments to the substitution / DH rules that would make his unique talents more valuable. Something like, allowing the Angels to play with NL rules when they are the home team and Ohtani is pitching, or electing a DH for a position other than pitcher. "

Edited by Lou

4 minutes ago, Lou said:

"I personally think it would be cool for MLB to make some adjustments to the substitution / DH rules that would make his unique talents more valuable. Something like, allowing the Angels to play with NL rules when they are the home team and Ohtani is pitching, or electing a DH for a position other than pitcher. "

Ahh sorry, I meant a rule change to allow the home team to decide which set of rules to play by so that both teams would have to have their pitcher bat in the event the home team chose to play by NL rules.

16 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Ahh sorry, I meant a rule change to allow the home team to decide which set of rules to play by so that both teams would have to have their pitcher bat in the event the home team chose to play by NL rules.

I like this idea just so the home club would have an extra strategic advantage.

On 4/28/2018 at 1:32 PM, wopphil said:

Obviously there is lots of time to see how good he is going to be and to try to place a value on that. But he has clearly established he is an absolute freak of an athlete who might be able to dominate on both sides of the ball.

If you were running the Angels, what do you offer him this offseason to lock him up long term?  I cannot think of any player who received $100 mil+ after a single year of service, but obviously Ohtani should blow past that. 

That would be illegal and the MLB would penalize the Angels and take away prospects like they did with Atlanta.

it would also put Ohtani back on the open market which is good for us I suppose.

Why would you want to do that anyway.  Ohtani is dirt cheap right now and that would allow you to sign someone like Bryce Harper.