• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

We are going to regret not doing more with the pen...

floplag

2 minutes ago, Farmbuildingfan said:

How often did the starters need to be pulled before six innings?.

Were some of the early exits a result of micromanaging, or would any manager with common sense have made the same moves?

Not this year.   They were pulled due to high pitch counts or ineffectiveness.  

1 hour ago, Farmbuildingfan said:

Or in last night's case, bad luck.

Should have been scoreless after one inning.

How do you figure?  It was one out, two runners on, when the error was made, then a double then a ground out that would have been a 3rd.  

28 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

The bullpen has to be fairly close to throwing more innings than the starters.    Just looked it up. Before tonites game, the relievers have thrown about 18 innings more than starters. Pathetic!!

That is exactly the problem, and it has to change.  The team can't keep going at that pace.

On 4/28/2018 at 9:36 AM, floplag said:

Easy to say in hindsight, but what bothers me is that there wasnt little more than token effort.  We didnt even try for an impactful bullpen piece according to the reports we all read so you cant blame costs when you didnt even walk into the store.  
Bottom line we werent involved in that market at any higher level, and its going to bite us more than a couple times this season. 

I can assure you that the Angels knew the costs of all the available players. 

To follow through your analogy, you can call the store and ask what the prices are and then decide if you want to drive over there and negotiate. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I can assure you that the Angels knew the costs of all the available players. 

To follow through your analogy, you can call the store and ask what the prices are and then decide if you want to drive over there and negotiate. 

Well, you would obviously know more than I one the matter, but then it makes me wonder why more wasnt done as not all of them went over priced.  
Regardless we made a choice to roll the dice, cant say im that comfortable with it.

I like Eppler's bullpen philosophy. Acquire for very cheap as many options as possible and letting all unfold.

Blake Parker - Earned a spot because of his dominant performance last year. But as we've seen, we won't be trusting him unless he gives them a reason to.

Key Middleton and Cam Bedrosian are largely in the same boat. 

Jim Johnson has shown his career isn't over yet. Jose Alvarez looks better this year than he has in any years past. Minor leaguers Eduardo Paredes and Justin Anderson earned their way onto this roster. 

Noe Ramirez is spinning the ball like he belongs. Blake Wood looks like he'll return soon, if that's worth anything.

Low cost acquisitions such as Felix Pena, Vicente Campos, Dayan Diaz, Akeel Morris provide depth.

Next year, we'll have Alex Meyer and JC Ramirez coming back and likely going to the bullpen. 

6 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Relievers stats after 28 games:  124 innings, 115 hits, 50 BBs, 124 Ks, 18 HRs, 3.12 ERA, 1.33 WHIP

Starters stats after 28 games:  133 innings, 124 hits, 64 BBs, 144 Ks, 22 HRs, 5.08 ERA, 1.41 WHIP  

Homers and walks... walks and homers. I thought things would be better with Nolasco and Chavez gone. Shows what I know which is nada.

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

The relievers collective WHIP is high, given the 3.12 ERA. 

That's due to Parker and Ramirez. They have the worst WHIPs and are in the top 4 in innings pitched from the relievers 

1 hour ago, Throwman91 said:

If the pen could get a little fuckin' rest they would be even greater, too bad our starters average less than 5 IP per start, that's next level bad.

It's disgusting. The starters should be embarrassed 

Edited by Lou

3 minutes ago, Lou said:

It's disgusting. The starters should be embarrassed 

It is true that all of the starters are either rookies like Barria, or battling back from significant time missed the past 1-2 years.

Nonetheless, averaging 4.75 innings/start collectively is embarrassing.