• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kinsler

Yes.  And it’s not all that surprising.  Silly to expect that a 36 y/o is going to have a bounce back season.  The guy is on the downward slope.  Couple of key points imo.  The price that the Phillies wanted for Hernandez was ridiculously high.  Why wouldn’t it it be for a cost controlled young 2b that has demonstrated above average potential at the major league level ? Eppler probably figures to get a SP at some point in season.  Kinsler is low risk and allows Eppler to make that trade without completely gutting the farm system.   If Kinsler approaches his numbers from last year at all diminished as they are.  It’s still a huge improvement for the Angels over what we’ve had.  It’s still probably a decent bet that he gets close to comping last year.  I just hope the plan isn’t to bank on Jahmai Jones being our 2b in the near term.  

Anyway, the Angels problem right now isn’t Kinsler on his own.  It’s the collection of guys who are really struggling.  We need something out of more then 3 guys.

Edited by UndertheHalo

2 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

So it looks like our offense this year will consist of Trout and Ohtani, and maybe Simmons. And Ohtani will only be hitting three days a week.

Second wild card might be a stretch.

Well. We can and should expect Upton and Cozart to be good.  Especially Upton.  He’s not old.  There’s no reason for him to struggle long term.  That guy is essential to the Angels success.  

We may have two excellent second basemen in Salt Lake right now.  Cowart is leading the Bees with a .406 batting average, and Fletcher isn't far behind hitting .356.  Both are excellent defenders.  I think at some point they will find it at the major league level.  I never thought that Kinsler was anything more than a one year fill in.  Cozart is more critical to long term success because he has a significant 3 year contract.  There are a lot of guys who are hitting really well right now in Salt Lake, if some of our hitters don't pick it up (eg. Valbuena) they will eventually get replaced.  Eppler isn't afraid of making changes.

7 minutes ago, tomsred said:

We may have two excellent second basemen in Salt Lake right now.  Cowart is leading the Bees with a .406 batting average, and Fletcher isn't far behind hitting .356.  Both are excellent defenders.  I think at some point they will find it at the major league level....

If he can be adequate defensively, I think Fernandez is ahead of both...his bat projects better....

On 4/28/2018 at 10:18 AM, DMVol said:

If he can be adequate defensively, I think Fernandez is ahead of both...his bat projects better....

You could be right.  I don't think second base will be an issue long term.  I am so glad Eppler has improved the farm system like he has, there is an actual future there in multiple positions.  If Calhoun can't recover long term, we have some very adequate replacements in the pipeline as well.