• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Amateur Draft Thread

Jonathan Mayo had us taking on OFer with this projection: https://www.mlb.com/news/projections-for-all-30-first-round-draft-picks/c-274577288 Frankly, I don't see it. I'd rather see us go with another strong college arm, particularly a lefty, to pair up with Canning and make a new rotation for the team fairly quickly. Maybe he thinks that they will move him to 1B or someplace else, but he has to know our future OF is much more set with Marsh and Adell than another bat.

17. Angels: Steele Walker, OF, Oklahoma

Walker's best tool is his bat, to go along with his outstanding instincts and makeup that allow his tools to play up. He's also been one of the better offensive performers in the college game this year, something that could appeal to the Angels (see Thaiss, Matt).

7 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

Jonathan Mayo had us taking on OFer with this projection: https://www.mlb.com/news/projections-for-all-30-first-round-draft-picks/c-274577288 Frankly, I don't see it. I'd rather see us go with another strong college arm, particularly a lefty, to pair up with Canning and make a new rotation for the team fairly quickly. Maybe he thinks that they will move him to 1B or someplace else, but he has to know our future OF is much more set with Marsh and Adell than another bat.

17. Angels: Steele Walker, OF, Oklahoma

Walker's best tool is his bat, to go along with his outstanding instincts and makeup that allow his tools to play up. He's also been one of the better offensive performers in the college game this year, something that could appeal to the Angels (see Thaiss, Matt).

I don't really get his logic -- ie.. the Thaiss reference.   The state of the farm system is vastly different than it was when Thaiss was drafted and more importantly it's a vastly different draft class.   I can see them taking the best talent available regardless of position but, I don't know that Steele Walker would fit that description at 17.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I don't really get his logic -- ie.. the Thaiss reference.   The state of the farm system is vastly different than it was when Thaiss was drafted and more importantly it's a vastly different draft class.   I can see them taking the best talent available regardless of position but, I don't know that Steele Walker would fit that description at 17.

I agree. I don't get his logic either (assuming there is a logic).

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

I don't think proximity to the majors should play a role in who we choose as our first round pick.  We've got enough in the system where we don't need to worry about that.  

BPA all the way.  

What if the BPA is another outfielder? Since it is truly a rarity where a single player would be that much better than all the rest of the country, I think our farm is at a point where we can be a bit more selective and look at what we can use a bit more overall in the system. Looking at our system, a lefty arm would be very useful. Given the choice, I'd ideally choose a college lefty over a prep pitcher, if all else is equal. Now, as much as I want a lefty, I want the best pitcher available, and I've heard really good things about Winn from Orange Lutheran. I'm not so sold that Steele would be the steal of this draft. But, I'll wait and see. 

3 hours ago, Dave Saltzer said:

What if the BPA is another outfielder? Since it is truly a rarity where a single player would be that much better than all the rest of the country, I think our farm is at a point where we can be a bit more selective and look at what we can use a bit more overall in the system. Looking at our system, a lefty arm would be very useful. Given the choice, I'd ideally choose a college lefty over a prep pitcher, if all else is equal. Now, as much as I want a lefty, I want the best pitcher available, and I've heard really good things about Winn from Orange Lutheran. I'm not so sold that Steele would be the steal of this draft. But, I'll wait and see. 

I'm fine with that as long as all else is equal.  I'd rather have the prep guy with big upside than the college guy destined to be a #3.  And I would be ok if the BPA were an outfielder but like you said, it's unlikely that by 16, there'd be a player they considered head and shoulders above someone else.  Just don't want to see them elevating a guy on their board because he might help in 2020.  

Does drafting BPA really work with the MLB draft though?  Isn’t there more strategy involved than drafting BPA because of slot money and getting higher upside draft picks in rounds 2,3,4 with signability issues?  I’m all about drafting BPA as long as we can sign our top picks regardless of position.

4 hours ago, Cdaniel said:

Does drafting BPA really work with the MLB draft though?  Isn’t there more strategy involved than drafting BPA because of slot money and getting higher upside draft picks in rounds 2,3,4 with signability issues?  I’m all about drafting BPA as long as we can sign our top picks regardless of position.

Talent wins out...   

There are a ton of layers of process involved now that picks are tied to slot money but the players know teams are tied to certain bonus amounts, so their only recourse is to go back and improve their draft position...  Much harder for them to dictate financial terms than in the past.

In the debate between high floor .vs high ceiling..... Imo you take the highest possible ceiling.

On 5/5/2018 at 3:54 AM, Lou said:

Always take the BPA.  What we need in the majors (and AAA perhaps) today won't be the same as it is in 3 or 4 years. 

Agreed. It's not like if you really do end up with a logjam at a position you're screwed. It is possible to trade prospects. If there is anything I learned from Dipoto, it's that. 

Another Mock draft ... https://2080baseball.com/2018/05/2018-mlb-mock-draft-first-run-shadow/

1:17 LogoMLBLAA.pngAngels: Jackson Kowar, RHP, Univ. of Florida | Video

Breakdown: Kowar can work his fastball into the mid 90s, regularly clocking in at 90 to 94 mph on a steep downhill plane, and backs it up with a nice 12-to-6 curve and a solid low-80s changeup that presents with good arm speed and plane deception. He’s battled his mechanics some this spring, particularly later in outings, and will need to increase strength and stamina to reach his upside as mid-rotation big league arm. –NF

Also considered: Logan Gilbert (RHP, Stetson Univ.); Ryan Weathers (LHP, Loretto (Tenn.)); Cole Winn (RHP, Orange Lutheran (Calif.))

Updated on: 5/8/2018
3ds_angels87.jpg

Ethan Hankins

Forsyth Central HSRHP
Notes:

Hankins has looked better on the mound in recent weeks as he continues to build innings after missing a few starts with a scapula issue, and his camp is confident that a clean MRI will allow teams to worry less as well. He isn’t quite back to the summer form that had him as the best player in the high school class, but he’s trending in the right direction and currently could be on the board as high as No. 8.

If it were me, I think I'd go with Jackson Kowar. But I'm glad it isn't up to me. Back when I was scouting I honestly didn't have a discernible eye for high end pitching. They all looked the same to me, which is amazing and hard to hit. I'd pegged a couple of guys that went in the teen rounds which is cool, but I also missed on a couple of short, stocky pitchers that ended up being better in the minors than the guys drafted in the teens. 

I always had a much better eye for position players, particularly middle infielders and catchers.

Lots of high-end pitching prospects in this draft - so, would think we'd draft a pitcher - but if a good bat falls to us?  

Hankins' inconsistency in velocity is frightening - sounds like an injury in the making.  But I'd have a hard time spending a 1st round pick on a high school pitcher not named Sidd Finch, anyway - the washout rate remains too high - would rather look for a college junior, closer to the majors,  like Kowar.

But in the end, the guys who get paid to do this will make the pick, having much more info to work with than I do, so will just let them do their jobs, then complain they got it wrong :)

I will say this....we seem to do better on our second round picks than our first.

Not to say Adell won't exceed Canning's value, just that we seem to find first round talent in the second round quite frequently. Jahmai Jones, Brandon Marsh, Griffin Canning...

They'd all be higher end first round picks if there was a redraft.

MLB.com mock draft https://www.mlb.com/news/college-players-lead-in-mlb-mock-draft/c-276190214?tid=151437456   Second time the Angels have been linked to Ryan Weathers.

17. Angels: Ryan Weathers, LHP, Loretto (Tenn.) HS

This pick could come down to Weathers, who has the potential for three solid or better pitches to go with pitchability and big league bloodlines (father David), or Hankins, who has shown his usual velocity (but not always his trademark electric life) in recent outings. If Adams convinces teams he'll give up the opportunity to play football at North Carolina, where his father, Deke, is a defensive line coach, Los Angeles is one of several in the teens who'll consider him.