Dave Saltzer

The Official 2018 Amateur Draft Thread

Just now, SoWhat said:

It'd be awesome if Singer, Winn, Liberatore or Gorman falls to 17

Pretty good odds. Murray and Weathers going so early definitely changed things up. 

I still think the Angels will be on someone projected more towards #17 though.

Looking at the MLB.com tracker, there’s quite a discrepancy between draft order and their pre-draft rankings. I know that’s not totally unusual but it is surprising that guys like Singer and Liberatore are passed up so far.

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

Looking at the MLB.com tracker, there’s quite a discrepancy between draft order and their pre-draft rankings. I know that’s not totally unusual but it is surprising that guys like Singer and Liberatore are passed up so far.

saying that Liberatore could be a money issue.  

11 minutes ago, SoWhat said:

It'd be awesome if Singer, Winn, Liberatore or Gorman falls to 17

Okay, if we don't pick one of these guys I'm gonna be pretty pissed

14 minutes ago, KDWells said:

He's a first round talent, teams were just scared off as he will be starting QB at Oklahoma this year. Seems the A's and Murray have an agreement to let him play college football this fall and join the A's afterwards.

Pardon my ignorance, but is this allowed? Isn't the signing deadline before football season?

1 minute ago, eaterfan said:

Pardon my ignorance, but is this allowed? Isn't the signing deadline before football season?

I had assumed the same as well. Perhaps it's more a handshake agreement with the possibility he could still bolt for the NFL if he has a Heisman type of season this year. Shades of what the Celtics did when drafting Larry Bird back in the day?

1 minute ago, KDWells said:

I had assumed the same as well. Perhaps it's more a handshake agreement with the possibility he could still bolt for the NFL if he has a Heisman type of season this year. Shades of what the Celtics did when drafting Larry Bird back in the day?

I don't know. I just assume he can't play for the A's if he doesn't sign before the deadline and can't play in the NCAA if he's under contract with the A's.