Jump to content
  • Welcome to AngelsWin.com

    AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

    Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

    Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

     

How the Angels Could Get Out of Paying Albert Pujols


krAbs

Recommended Posts

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/how-the-angels-could-get-out-of-paying-albert-pujols/

 

This article just popped up on my feed. Normally, I wouldn't pay any attention at all to this kind of article. But, Fangraphs is a legit site - this isn't just some random blog ranting about how old Pujols is. The article is long and I haven't finished it, but at a skim, the case looks weak to me - they are largely basing it off of statistical evidence that Pujols is declining at a standard rate, but much "younger" than his peers. I would think the Angels would want more to go off of. Interesting stuff, though...

 

Edit - they articulate this further down, but this would be a risky move for the Angels. Even if they did pull it off, it would be a PR nightmare, and may really damage us in the future with the FA market.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First the BP article is on a list of some speculation and has no evidence of any proof that Pujols is order than stated.  However their logic that Pujols parents would lie about his age to allow him to go to HS make logical sense.  

If it was true I think it would be an interesting case of fraud.  Dont know how it would end up but I can see a lawsuit based on fraud.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

He’s going to get everything his contract guarantees him. He would’ve signed for less money and less years with St. louis if it wasn’t about money. Remember that he feels that he’s already earned it and MLB owes it to him.

^^^ Never have understood the “he’ll retire early and forfeit some money because he’s a proud guy” talk........they may tweak it a little, maybe some deferred, if it comes to the point that he’s done (and it will before the deal is over) but he’s not giving anything up....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, DMVol said:

^^^ Never have understood the “he’ll retire early and forfeit some money because he’s a proud guy” talk........they may tweak it a little, maybe some deferred, if it comes to the point that he’s done (and it will before the deal is over) but he’s not giving anything up....

I always thought that the "Pujols would rather give up 100 million dollars than lose a .300 lifetime batting avg" theory was pretty classic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DMVol said:

^^^ Never have understood the “he’ll retire early and forfeit some money because he’s a proud guy” talk........they may tweak it a little, maybe some deferred, if it comes to the point that he’s done (and it will before the deal is over) but he’s not giving anything up....

He could be forced to retire early if he can’t pass a team physical but they’ll still be obligated to pay him in full. That’s what I think will happen. He gets his money and bows out gracefully. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

He could be forced to retire early if he can’t pass a team physical but they’ll still be obligated to pay him in full. That’s what I think will happen. He gets his money and bows out gracefully. 

Something like that....let’s hope it’s reasonably graceful....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is ALLLLLL Arte. He's the dumbass. Albert did say once - that if he feels he's not playing up to his expectations...and if his kids athletic careers take off...he would retire. 

But he keeps hitting solo shots in between grounding out...and once he gets to 3,000 and maybe 650 dingers....he might just go away.

But I doubt it. Arte completely screwed the pooch...along with Hamilton....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, JoJo26 said:

This is ALLLLLL Arte. He's the dumbass. Albert did say once - that if he feels he's not playing up to his expectations...and if his kids athletic careers take off...he would retire. 

But he keeps hitting solo shots in between grounding out...and once he gets to 3,000 and maybe 650 dingers....he might just go away.

But I doubt it. Arte completely screwed the pooch...along with Hamilton....

 

 

FB8F159D-93B3-43E6-B71C-B23C6E9EC794.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, JoJo26 said:

Albert did say once - that if he feels he's not playing up to his expectations...and if his kids athletic careers take off...he would retire. But he keeps hitting solo shots in between grounding out...and once he gets to 3,000 and maybe 650 dingers....he might just go away.

image.jpeg.8e8b5e45047b76c50a152552f99e8ebd.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, DMVol said:

^^^ Never have understood the “he’ll retire early and forfeit some money because he’s a proud guy” talk........they may tweak it a little, maybe some deferred, if it comes to the point that he’s done (and it will before the deal is over) but he’s not giving anything up....

 

15 hours ago, JarsOfClay said:

I always thought that the "Pujols would rather give up 100 million dollars than lose a .300 lifetime batting avg" theory was pretty classic.

All pie in the sky shit.

As Coach John Calhoun said when asked whether he thought about giving back part of his salary because the state of Connecticut was in a deficit.

"NOT A DIME BACK"

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, halomatt said:

meh.  Trout appears to like Pujols and respect him.  Why go after Pujols now and risk alienation from your franchise player?  Not worth it. 

Remember when the Angels alienated Trout by giving him a modest raise after his amazing rookie year and he was never going to sign an extension because of it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jobu said:

Remember when the Angels alienated Trout by giving him a modest raise after his amazing rookie year and he was never going to sign an extension because of it?

Yep, same reason Scioscia isn’t going to sign an extension with the Angels.   He’s still pissed about Hatcher being fired.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the Angels pulled that crap, it would lead this organization into a spiraling path of destruction.

1. Trout definitely would not re-up with the Angels.

2. Neither would Maldonado, Simmons, Ohtani, Richards, etc....

3. Justin Upton would be discontent and demand a trade.

4. Fans that attend the games would boycott. The Angels would lose millions in gate and jersey sales alone in the first year. Then every year after it would compound the problem.

5. The Angels would be out on virtually every major free agent.

6. It took a solid 10 years before baseball had fully recovered from the strike. We're coming up on 10 years since the Mitchell Report and still to this day, every single major leaguer that produces is under suspicion. You can bet a solid percentage of folks out there believe Trout is cheating just because of his neck size and the fact that he doesn't play for their team and they hate that. 

7. The Angels as a franchise wouldn't recover until the year 2028 maybe.

8. Arte would sell the team because it's no longer profitable.

9. The team would likely wipe the entire front office clean in attempt to distance themselves from this disaster.

10. Because the fans no longer support the organization, they'd probably have to relocate. Think Portland, San Antonio, Carolina, Montreal, Puerto Rico....

So yeah, I think we're good with an underperforming Pujols.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

If the Angels pulled that crap, it would lead this organization into a spiraling path of destruction.

1. Trout definitely would not re-up with the Angels.

2. Neither would Maldonado, Simmons, Ohtani, Richards, etc....

3. Justin Upton would be discontent and demand a trade.

4. Fans that attend the games would boycott. The Angels would lose millions in gate and jersey sales alone in the first year. Then every year after it would compound the problem.

5. The Angels would be out on virtually every major free agent.

6. It took a solid 10 years before baseball had fully recovered from the strike. We're coming up on 10 years since the Mitchell Report and still to this day, every single major leaguer that produces is under suspicion. You can bet a solid percentage of folks out there believe Trout is cheating just because of his neck size and the fact that he doesn't play for their team and they hate that. 

7. The Angels as a franchise wouldn't recover until the year 2028 maybe.

8. Arte would sell the team because it's no longer profitable.

9. The team would likely wipe the entire front office clean in attempt to distance themselves from this disaster.

10. Because the fans no longer support the organization, they'd probably have to relocate. Think Portland, San Antonio, Carolina, Montreal, Puerto Rico....

So yeah, I think we're good with an underperforming Pujols.

Perfect ending to all of our misery.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

If the Angels pulled that crap, it would lead this organization into a spiraling path of destruction.

1. Trout definitely would not re-up with the Angels.

2. Neither would Maldonado, Simmons, Ohtani, Richards, etc....

3. Justin Upton would be discontent and demand a trade.

4. Fans that attend the games would boycott. The Angels would lose millions in gate and jersey sales alone in the first year. Then every year after it would compound the problem.

5. The Angels would be out on virtually every major free agent.

6. It took a solid 10 years before baseball had fully recovered from the strike. We're coming up on 10 years since the Mitchell Report and still to this day, every single major leaguer that produces is under suspicion. You can bet a solid percentage of folks out there believe Trout is cheating just because of his neck size and the fact that he doesn't play for their team and they hate that. 

7. The Angels as a franchise wouldn't recover until the year 2028 maybe.

8. Arte would sell the team because it's no longer profitable.

9. The team would likely wipe the entire front office clean in attempt to distance themselves from this disaster.

10. Because the fans no longer support the organization, they'd probably have to relocate. Think Portland, San Antonio, Carolina, Montreal, Puerto Rico....

So yeah, I think we're good with an underperforming Pujols.

This is one of the most melodramatic posts I've ever seen on the internet

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...