• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mike Trout is Impossible

101halo

This team is basically Trout and Simmons offensively right now with a splash of Ohtani.  

OPS+

Trout - 206

Simmons - 145

Ohtani - 175

Kinsler - 89

Upton - 104

Pujols - 97

Valbuena - 81

Cozart - 76

Maldonado - 38

Calhoun - 25

I would like to make note of Marte and Rivera who have performed very well off the bench.  

Jefry Marte has a WAR of 0.7 in 40 plate appearances.  

Rene Rivera is at 0.4 WAR in 26 PA.  With good defense of course.  

He does all this with such little fanfare... I mean - for as good as he is - there's so little coverage.  He may very well be the greatest player of this generation and beyond and yet - people aren't flocking to stadiums to see him.  His play does all the talking and because he's humble, down-to-earth, etc. - he doesn't get the coverage he deserves.  People talk about how great he is - but it isn't transitioning into more fans at the stadium, etc.  The Angels should be on national TV more - but they're not. 

I think about this often.  I guess you have to have a big personality to get more coverage.  It's not enough to have your play do all the talking.  It's a shame.  I try to get to the stadium as often as possible to see him in person.  I think back at some of my favorites and how much I miss seeing them play.  In some cases - I could have made more of an effort to get to the ball park to watch them.  Trout's career will be over before we know it.  Time flies.  Soak it all in now.

I think Angel fans take him for granted to some degree.  It's absolutely amazing how great Trout is.  It blows my mind that he keeps getting better!   He's historic in his achievements.  He's monumentally better than most, but I get the sense some don't truly  appreciate what he's doing. 

I know I'm biased.  I know a great many on this site, share my view - so I'm probably preaching to the choir. 

41 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

This team is basically Trout and Simmons offensively right now with a splash of Ohtani.  

OPS+

Trout - 206

Simmons - 145

Ohtani - 175

Kinsler - 89

Upton - 104

Pujols - 97

Valbuena - 81

Cozart - 76

Maldonado - 38

Calhoun - 25

I would like to make note of Marte and Rivera who have performed very well off the bench.  

Jefry Marte has a WAR of 0.7 in 40 plate appearances.  

Rene Rivera is at 0.4 WAR in 26 PA.  With good defense of course.  

Calhoun isn't going to be this bad all year. He either needs to go down to AAA or they need to sit him for a week and let him clear his head. He was a productive hitter for a decent amount of time in his career, I have a hard time believing he's done before 30. Have to imagine Upton gets that OPS+ up to at least 120. I also see Kinsler being at worst a league average hitter.

1 minute ago, fan_since79 said:

I want to see more of Rivera and less of Maldonado, in spite of his arm. Right now he can't hit a baseball to save his life.

Zero for his last 27 AB.

But, but...Danny Espinosa....

Although I like his effect on the pitching staff much more than just his arm. He calls great games and he guns people down. Hopefully he can be anything more than a black hole at the plate and were in a net positive.

On 4/25/2018 at 9:59 AM, True Grich said:

He does all this with such little fanfare... I mean - for as good as he is - there's so little coverage.  He may very well be the greatest player of this generation and beyond and yet - people aren't flocking to stadiums to see him.  His play does all the talking and because he's humble, down-to-earth, etc. - he doesn't get the coverage he deserves.  People talk about how great he is - but it isn't transitioning into more fans at the stadium, etc.  The Angels should be on national TV more - but they're not. 

I think about this often.  I guess you have to have a big personality to get more coverage.  It's not enough to have your play do all the talking.  It's a shame.  I try to get to the stadium as often as possible to see him in person.  I think back at some of my favorites and how much I miss seeing them play.  In some cases - I could have made more of an effort to get to the ball park to watch them.  Trout's career will be over before we know it.  Time flies.  Soak it all in now.

I think Angel fans take him for granted to some degree.  It's absolutely amazing how great Trout is.  It blows my mind that he keeps getting better!   He's historic in his achievements.  He's monumentally better than most, but I get the sense some don't truly  appreciate what he's doing. 

I know I'm biased.  I know a great many on this site, share my view - so I'm probably preaching to the choir. 

Yeah, its crazy. He improves every year. You figure how can he, but he does.

I think the lack of fanfare is from a few different reasons. First...and calzone will get a boner here...fact is, hes played for a very boring team for the last few years. If he played 30 miles up the road, hed be a hell of a lot bigger, which kills me.

Second, baseball isnt basketball.or football. Trout may be a god, but you have to wait for 8 other guys to hit before you get to see him do his thing again. So again, if we had a better team the lsst few years, with better more popular guys around him, hed have more fanfare i think. Regardless of how good trout is, the prospect (the lsst few years) of seeing trout, then pujols, surrounded by the joyces, espinozas, etc etc when the shit pitching of the last few years isnt goung to hold the masses.

Lastly, and maybe most important, the amazing things hes doing arent going to be noted by the casual fan / masses. Me gush about how hes increased his walks, cut down on Ks, how much better his eye has gotten, etc etc. Casual fan just knows home runs. And hes been hitting home runs for a mediocre team for a while now. If he hits 50 this year, he'll get a lot of pub...but most fans (the casual masses) will see that the same as judge and stanton...figuring its the same.

I was reading this:
https://www.mlb.com/news/a-positive-for-every-mlb-team-in-2018/c-274080862

And they said this about Trout:
"It's hard not to pick Shohei Ohtani's start, but you know what, I'm going with Mike Trout. We need to stop underappreciating Trout. He's crazy awesome again. Trout leads the Majors with 10 homers. He has stolen five bases without being caught. Trout is playing great defense in center field. He has a .400 on-base percentage, he's fourth in the Majors in slugging and he actually got off to a kind of sluggish start. Since April 10, Trout is hitting .360/.468/.820 with seven homers in 14 games. We are watching Willie Mays, and we should appreciate it every chance we get."

That 17 day period is an amazing hot streak, but probably just a hot streak. Except....This year as a whole, Trout's BABIP has been FAR below his career level. So far this year, he has put up a batting average of .295 and an OBP of .404, while only posting a BABIP of .281. A typical player will put up a BABIP of .300, a typical Trout year will have a BABIP of .353 (!!!!!). I was able to find a way to get Fangraphs to generate his BABIP over the streak mentioned above, since April 10th.  Over that streak, it has been .355 - almost perfectly aligned with his career BABIP. Its...not crazy to think that this year, he has been getting very unlucky with balls in play, and the streak since April 10th is closer to what he has ACTUALLY been doing so far this year. Those numbers look clearly unsustainable, but this will be something interesting to watch over the next few weeks.

17 hours ago, Tank said:

a poster here posted the same article twice, not realizing he had done so. his first name was craig, so the action of double posting something (or posting something someone else already posted) became known as a craig.

Didn't Craig do it multiple times in a short time span? I think that's how his name became immortalized.