• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tonight's Strike Zone

11 hours ago, Dochalo said:

fastmap.php-pitchSel=all&game=gid_2018_0fastmap.php-pitchSel=all&game=gid_2018_0

Even with questionable calls the truth is Shohei Ohtani threw 98 pitches and only 55 were either called or swinging strikes. That puts 43 out of the zone which really says he is wasting too many pitches too far out of the zone. 

You look at the misses and many are making the catcher lunge for the ball. Ohtani us not going to get anything from those mistakes, not a batter chasing or an umpire giving him the Glavine benefit of the doubt call. 

So before the pitch forks and torches come out and we should start holding the pitchers accountable for so many wasted pitches. Throwing 98 pitches in 5 innings should be clubhouse fine worthy. 

51 minutes ago, artesmustache said:

with technology calling the balls/strikes the game would be better off also in respect to pace of play because the strike zone is unified - it is the same every pitch of every at-bat of every game of every season. It would revolutionize the game. 

Part of the problem is that the strike zone is different for every player. A player can change his zone with every pitch with his stance alone. 

8 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Even with questionable calls the truth is Shohei Ohtani threw 98 pitches and only 55 were either called or swinging strikes. That puts 43 out of the zone which really says he is wasting too many pitches too far out of the zone. 

You look at the misses and many are making the catcher lunge for the ball. Ohtani us not going to get anything from those mistakes, not a batter chasing or an umpire giving him the Glavine benefit of the doubt call. 

So before the pitch forks and torches come out and we should start holding the pitchers accountable for so many wasted pitches. Throwing 98 pitches in 5 innings should be clubhouse fine worthy. 

Ohtani actually got 5 pitches outside the zone called strikes.  And another 6 inside the zone called balls.  I don't disagree that he was all over the map, but so was the ump for both sides.  

Margin consistency and some sort of accountability is what I'd like to see.  

Had a convo with CJ Wilson on twitter who said around 20-30 pitches a game are missed and they get probably 50% right when it’s on the edges. If u don’t think technology is there to get 99% right I don’t know what u think is going on. We are going to look back on this time 10 years from now maybe 5 years from now and say why didn’t we use this technology earlier. It’s the only sport of the 4 major that could get 99% or higher calls on balls and strikes correct and aren’t doing it. Tennis is using it for line calls. Basketball is using it for where people are standing on the three point line. It’s really pretty simple. Umpires can still call if it’s a catch or not or safe or out but the technology is there to call balls and strikes. 

Im not even bagging on umpires it’s insane what we are asking these guys to do with out biases and with out catchers blocking out the umpires. If the tech is there which it is. Use it. This sport one pitch can completely change the outcome of a game. 

1 hour ago, Kevinb said:

Had a convo with CJ Wilson on twitter who said around 20-30 pitches a game are missed and they get probably 50% right when it’s on the edges. If u don’t think technology is there to get 99% right I don’t know what u think is going on. We are going to look back on this time 10 years from now maybe 5 years from now and say why didn’t we use this technology earlier. It’s the only sport of the 4 major that could get 99% or higher calls on balls and strikes correct and aren’t doing it. Tennis is using it for line calls. Basketball is using it for where people are standing on the three point line. It’s really pretty simple. Umpires can still call if it’s a catch or not or safe or out but the technology is there to call balls and strikes. 

Im not even bagging on umpires it’s insane what we are asking these guys to do with out biases and with out catchers blocking out the umpires. If the tech is there which it is. Use it. This sport one pitch can completely change the outcome of a game. 

I assume this conversation happened playing Xbox?

I think they should allow managers are allowed something like 3 challenges a game for strike zone calls. It should also be instant and  over the jumbotrons to induce the same crowd reaction it has in tennis. That would actually add another level of drama to the game that would be awesome. 

2 hours ago, SuperTroopers said:

I honestly can’t see CJ Wilson being an unbiased person as it relates to balls and strikes.  If I had to guess a bad night would be ten blown calls total.   There’s probably 220-250 pitches per game,  so that’s about 96-98% accurate.   

Not from what he said on Twitter. I think we’ve had this debate before but in an honest moment and again this isn’t bashing umps because I believe their job is incredibly hard. What percentage of balls and strikes do u think they get right?  I don’t think anything would be 100% but if your telling me technology would be worse off than the human eye your lying to yourself. 

4 hours ago, Kevinb said:

Now if only the NBA would start calling traveling and carrying the basketball again.

5 hours ago, Kevinb said:

Not from what he said on Twitter. I think we’ve had this debate before but in an honest moment and again this isn’t bashing umps because I believe their job is incredibly hard. What percentage of balls and strikes do u think they get right?  I don’t think anything would be 100% but if your telling me technology would be worse off than the human eye your lying to yourself. 

If you read the post you quoted then you’d know what percentage I think they get right. It’s literally in the post you quoted. 

21 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Now if only the NBA would start calling traveling and carrying the basketball again.

things that'll happen first:

world peace

no more nukes

pujols hits an inside the park homer

i eat some pulled pork