• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2018 Calhoun vs 2013 Hamilton: Through the first 22 games of the season

Calhoun has played like another Angels who fans hate hearing about, Hamilton. Through the first 22 games of the Angels season, Calhoun has actually played worst this year than Hamilton did in his first season with the club in 2013. Calhoun, this year, so far, has a .183/.212/.244 slash line while Hamilton, in 2013, had a better slash line through the Angels first 22 games. Hamilton had a .227/.278/.341 slash line. I envisioned this year as a bounce back year for Calhoun but he seems to be getting worse this year than last year. I am not sure what is it. Bad luck (low BABIP), trying to do too much by trying to hit home tuns every single times up to the plate, hiding injury, etc. All I know is that if he keeps on playing like this, he will be a bench guy off the bench and a defensive replacement late in close games. 

It looks like Calhoun peaked in 2016, a year in which he still provided good pop in his bat and got on base at a darn good clip. He will need to get really hot to finish with those numbers from a couple of years ago. I think he also started slow in 2015 and was hot for quite some time before wearing down in September.

Just now, Angel Oracle said:

Just one of those guys who struggles after getting his first good contract?

Actually, Hamilton kind of fell off after hitting 4 home runs in a game against the Orioles early on in the season. His second half OPS was about .800, whichever I think kind of scared the Rangers away. In hindsight, that was a big red flag. 

59 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

Actually, Hamilton kind of fell off after hitting 4 home runs in a game against the Orioles early on in the season. His second half OPS was about .800, whichever I think kind of scared the Rangers away. In hindsight, that was a big red flag. 

I never understood how someone just stops hitting.