• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Quick Assessment

Dtwncbad

The Angels hot start was attributable to scoring 7 runs a game. 

We knew that wasn't going to continue for 162 games.

We are back to a very predictable issue.  The need for an 180 inning #2 (or better) starter.

I am very happy with the overall 2018 roster versus 2017, but the need is still glaring.

I just don't think you can make it up in volume.  This team is World Series Champion dangerous with the addition of one stud starter.  As is, maybe a wild card and maybe no postseason at all.

It is too soon to try to acquire a starter. The starting pitching has been decent. Not great, and certainly we need to see more innings per start, but they're still working the kinks out. I'm actually reasonably pleased with what I've seen so far, all things considered: specifically, that Ohtani is a rookie, that Richards, Skaggs, Heaney and Tropeano are coming off of serious injury, that Barria is 21 years old. And Shoe should be back soon, as well. That's seven pretty good starters. 

Eppler will be watching how things unfold over the next couple months, but probably won't go after another starter until July - if he goes after another starter. But we we need more time to properly assess the situation. 

The team is just fine. They're just not a 13-3 team and it was silly to think they were anywhere as good as the Astros. But they remain a serious wildcard contender and should win 85+ games.

5 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

It is too soon to try to acquire a starter. The starting pitching has been decent. Not great, and certainly we need to see more innings per start, but they're still working the kinks out. I'm actually reasonably pleased with what I've seen so far, all things considered: specifically, that Ohtani is a rookie, that Richards, Skaggs, Heaney and Tropeano are coming off of serious injury, that Barria is 21 years old. And Shoe should be back soon, as well. That's seven pretty good starters. 

Eppler will be watching how things unfold over the next couple months, but probably won't go after another starter until July - if he goes after another starter. But we we need more time to properly assess the situation. 

The team is just fine. They're just not a 13-3 team and it was silly to think they were anywhere as good as the Astros. But they remain a serious wildcard contender and should win 85+ games.

That statement is what is wrong with this organization. You don't put that kind of lineup together and barely expect to be above .500. Your expectations are way too low for the talent on this roster.

Just now, Angelsfan1984 said:

That statement is what is wrong with this organization. You don't put that kind of lineup together and barely expect to be above .500. Your expectations are way too low for the talent on this roster.

Note I said "85+" games. Meaning, at least 85. My current over/under is probably 90, not a bad improvement from last year. 

Give the team a chance. What we want to see is perennial contention and improvement each year. So far so good.

Some people on here are worried about Heaney and I know that they have stats that back that up, but when I see him pitch, I see a talented pitcher who can turn it around.  Its not like he is getting lit up inning after inning its typically 1 really bad one.  I think that will get worked out the more he pitches throughout the year.  Love Ohtani, Richards and Trop.  Cant really find too many teams with a better #4 or #5 starter than Heaney or Skaggs.  Skaggs does worry me a bit though.

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

Note I said "85+" games. Meaning, at least 85. My current over/under is probably 90, not a bad improvement from last year. 

Give the team a chance. What we want to see is perennial contention and improvement each year. So far so good.

I agree for sure with wanting to see perennial contention. I just think that with the current makeup, we will see the biggest problem with the team IMO which is Scioscia's managing style be the problem once again. People have let it slide based on injuries year after year but that is not what i'm seeing as being the problem. Luckily this year the team is loaded with talent so the excuses shouldn't be there.

Just now, Cdaniel said:

My biggest grip with the pitching staff is all the HR's they are allowing.  Is this something mechanical that can be fixed/adjusted or just a string of bad luck?

Giving up a lot of HRs and BBs is usually an indicator that the pitchers are not throwing to where the catcher’s mitt is placed.

4 minutes ago, Cdaniel said:

Some people on here are worried about Heaney and I know that they have stats that back that up, but when I see him pitch, I see a talented pitcher who can turn it around.  Its not like he is getting lit up inning after inning its typically 1 really bad one.  I think that will get worked out the more he pitches throughout the year.  Love Ohtani, Richards and Trop.  Cant really find too many teams with a better #4 or #5 starter than Heaney or Skaggs.  Skaggs does worry me a bit though.

The more I thought about it this weekend, the more I can agree with this.    Heaney was sailing through 4 innings (1 hiccup) against SF, and then struggled.   Innings buildup could see him get further into games.   Skaggs is the one that worries me the most; age 27 later on this year, and yet has NEVER, EEEVER exceeded 160 innings in any year (majors, minors, or combined).   Heaney at least has exceeded 160 innings twice, including over 180 innings between minors and MLB one year. 

6 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Angels officially have the most over worked bullpen in baseball 

This HAS to change, as the season progresses.   I'm trying to be hopeful that as the season progresses, the starters will start to regain a rhythm missing early on from not pitching very much the past couple of seasons.   But yeah, the need for a decent enough innings eater may certainly be there by June/July.

The 13-3 start was awesome as we did what we struggle with every year - beating up on inferior teams. Too often we have 6-4 or .500 stretches against those teams, or lose an entire series that we have no business losing. They avoided that this time around. 13 wins is 13 wins!

We were due to get our asses kicked to normalize our hot start, and the Red Sox were in the right place at the right time to do so. We were trending a bit on the lucky side, and we've regressed back to something closer resembling our norm. The Angels .636 winning percentage still has them on track to win 103 games. After watching this team for the first three weeks, I still think they're a 90-100 win team. 

There's a good chance the next week will really hurt; the Astros are insanely good, we're facing their best pitchers, they've handled us recently, and we line up to face the Yanks toughest arms as well. Things will probably get worse before they get better. That said, I look back to our first 16 games and how crucial it was they managed to 13 of them. They've done enough to mitigate the rough 10-14 game stretch they're in. Hopefully by playing these tough teams now they get tested, get some due regression/struggles out of the way, and come back with a strong May/June.