• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Calhoun's bat is colder than a pimp's heart

Glen

45 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

The problem is Baseball is so long that you can’t just yank someone because they had a bad week or two stretch. But after a month or two of bad baseball they have to consider it

I absolutely agree, but at the end of the day these guys are professionals. That's why they make million dollar contracts and we type on the internet. At some point you have to sit him down, let him work it out and then ease him back into it. Let him get some small personal wins before putting him back in the fire. You have guys chomping at the bit in AAA who can do what he's doing right now. 3 weeks is a large enough sample size to know that he's not right. Hermasillo, Young, Blash can come in and earn a spot or at the very least be given the opportunity to produce. Maybe Calhoun has become entitled? Maybe he needs some competition to light a fire under his ass. At the very very least he should have been moved down in the lineup long ago. I mean they moved down Simba in the lineup when he was scorching hot and now look at him. The smallest adjustments can make a massive ripple effect.

I've been on the "trade Calhoun" train since Eppler's first offseason, but it's a bit premature still. That said, I do think Young, Blash, Hermosillo, and Liriano represent Kole's greatest threat at playing time since...ever. And I also think at this point he isn't well suited for a 4th OF/1B role at his cost or at this point in his career. He also doesn't have much trade value presently. 

That said - if the offense is clicking without him come June, and the depth is playing well, it would probably be a wise move to look at a "salary dump" type deal where he gets moved to another team's #4 starter type. Maybe the Giants for Holland, the Braves for McCarthy, the Padres for Ross, the White Sox for Gonzalez....a durable back-of-rotation guy who helps ease the strain on the arms as the season deepens. Those guys are all FAs at year end so the Angels financial commitment is lean, and Calhoun's team eats his salary and takes a shot on him for a couple seasons. Clears some space for the Angels payroll going forward. 

4 hours ago, eaterfan said:

He needs to bunt against the shift. The Red Sox were begging him to do it last night and he wouldn't just take his base. 

I am puzzled why they do that!  Why don't they bunt more often with the shift.  It's not like Calhoun is a feared power hitter like Ortiz or slow as molasses like Pujols.

2 hours ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

So the Angels finally fill the void in LF after 10 years and now RF is a black hole.

A guy named Harper is a FA this fall.  

Easy fellas I know he will be too expensive...just playing 

Give it time with Calhoun.  He went on a hot streak last June.  Maybe he can build up his trade value.  I do think with all the outfield depth we have we may want to consider moving him if the right time becomes available. 

12 hours ago, SuperTroopers said:

If he fired himself maybe we could get us a manager that would lead us to a 13-5 record.  

What exactly has Scioscia done to "lead" us to any kind of record? The hitters mashed the first 2 weeks of the season. How can you give him credit when they hit but not give him blame when they don't? You really are delusional.

Calhoun has really been a big part of why  the Angels lost the series to the Red Sox. Game 2, against a soft tosser in Porcello, had a chance to get the Angels feeling good with a big inning and lets the soft tosser blow fastballs right by him. WTF!? Then last night, against a reliever struggling to find the strike zone, swings at a stupid pitch with a man on third and less than two outs! Angels had a chance to get within two runs in the 7th inning! Any momentum was gone! Just no patience at the plate, whatsoever!