• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gotta turn the page..

Chuck

33 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

A deeper problem than our lack of offense these past two days is the disappearance of Cozart and Calhoun. If the two of them have a dreadful year at the plate...well, I don't want to think about it.

edit: Looking at Cozart's 2018 numbers, they're actually around his career averages. Last year's .933 OPS may be an outlier after all.

Who needs a 29 year old left handed hitting (short wall) $5.5M third baseman like Mouse when you’ve got a 32 year old $12.6M guy like Cozart. 

92FA4F6B-53B9-4B36-B9E5-2227DA454B85.jpeg

32 minutes ago, nate said:

Typical Angels laying an egg against the Red Sux.

Still, the Angels had a pretty easy schedule up until now, these next couple series will teach us a lot.

I am more worried about starting pitching.  Not so much Ohtani if he can fix the blister problem, but Skaggs especially.

It’s all about starting pitching with this team. Outside Ohtani it’s just a ton of question marks and if Ohtani isn’t healthy this quickly becomes a below avg staff

33 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

Strad they needed a 3B / 1B and they shortened the RF wall. A left handed power hitting Mouse would’ve been a perfect fit and he himself said he wanted to play here. 

If we could have got him for 1/$6.5 mil, yeah, I would have been all over that but they weren't getting him for that amount.  Mouse was seeking $15+ mil per season over multiple years and I'm glad the Angels made the smart move and didn't bite.  

2 hours ago, laagamer said:

Baseball is a streaky game. We were red hot and so were they.

We just had a 2 day layover, to their 1, that cooled us off. 

Sadly, our bats cooling off coincided with our pitchers deciding to get tagged. So we get blown out for two games. Betts is a good player but come on, he isn't going to have another 3-HR game in his entire career odds are.

We cooled off, they stayed hot. Big fuckin whoop, that's baseball. We'll see who's hot in October. 

My money's on Mike-fuckin'-A-Trout.

All these "coincidences" when we finally face a good team? All right, then.................

Mike-fuckin'-A-Trout is one player. More than any other team sport, one player cannot carry a team. Not in a sport where a 70% fail rate is considered good. 

I look at the  EVERYDAY (not this injured one) Boston lineup and there is probably only one spot where I would rather have the Angel player. And that's Mike-fuckin'-A-Trout. Yes, I think I'd even take Bogaets over Simmons, because of his bat. And I would take Benitendi over Upton and Vasquez over Maldonado. Some of this is age related, of course. Kinsler comes close to dislodging Pedroia, but I still take Pedroia. Both have fire, but Pedroia is consistently around .300, with a higher OBP. I will take that over Kinsler's slugging.

I HATE saying this, because I HA--, no, I dont use that word, I EXTREMELY DISLIKE THE RED SOX! But it is, what it is.

I think we are seeing why some of us predicted the Angels as a mid-80s winning team and finishing out of the playoffs. THEY CANT BEAT GOOD TEAMS, CONSISTENTLY! Havent been able to since 2009. This pitching wont allow it. And good teams have good pitchers and good pitching usually bests good hitting. 

This is what I'm seeing. Our record against KC, OAK and TEX masked this. They have all pitched terribly, so far, against other teams.

Of course, you cant be a rabid baseball fan like me and not have a few Red Sox fans as your friends. There was much text chatter between us, on those two off days, leading up to this battle of the best records in baseball. I deferred to their taunting (dont ALL Red Sox fans taunt, must be something in the Charles River!) and wouldn't be drawn in;  stating that the Angels have many warts that haven't surfaced............yet. 

We'd better show up tonight, against Rodriguez. Our lineup should do better against a lefty. Good time to bench Calhoun and get him thinking about what's wrong. I havent liked his pitch selection a bit,  lately. He's obviously pressing. I guess this means Chris Young. But I sure wish Marte could play out there. We need to get him in there.

I dont insert Marte in place of Cozart. His hitting approach will not allow for an extended slump. This will be a short bump in the road. 

And after all the failures of Calhoun and Cozart last night, I couldnt help but think how nice it would be if Ohtani could hit the day AFTER he pitches. AFTER he threw only 66 pitches the night before. WTF COULD HE BE ANALYZING WITH A START, SIX DAYS OUT?????? He would have been great to have at 5 or 6 last night.

It couldn't have been the blisters. He's supposedly starting tonight at DH.

17 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

All these "coincidences" when we finally face a good team? All right, then.................

Mike-fuckin'-A-Trout is one player. More than any other team sport, one player cannot carry a team. Not in a sport where a 70% fail rate is considered good. 

I look at the  EVERYDAY (not this injured one) Boston lineup and there is probably only one spot where I would rather have the Angel player. And that's Mike-fuckin'-A-Trout. Yes, I think I'd even take Bogaets over Simmons, because of his bat. And I would take Benitendi over Upton and Vasquez over Maldonado. Some of this is age related, of course. Kinsler comes close to dislodging Pedroia, but I still take Pedroia. Both have fire, but Pedroia is consistently around .300, with a higher OBP. I will take that over Kinsler's slugging.

I HATE saying this, because I HA--, no, I dont use that word, I EXTREMELY DISLIKE THE RED SOX! But it is, what it is.

I think we are seeing why some of us predicted the Angels as a mid-80s winning team and finishing out of the playoffs. THEY CANT BEAT GOOD TEAMS, CONSISTENTLY! Havent been able to since 2009. This pitching wont allow it. And good teams have good pitchers and good pitching usually bests good hitting. 

This is what I'm seeing. Our record against KC, OAK and TEX masked this. They have all pitched terribly, so far, against other teams.

Of course, you cant be a rabid baseball fan like me and not have a few Red Sox fans as your friends. There was much text chatter between us, on those two off days, leading up to this battle of the best records in baseball. I deferred to their taunting (dont ALL Red Sox fans taunt, must be something in the Charles River!) and wouldn't be drawn in;  stating that the Angels have many warts that haven't surfaced............yet. 

We'd better show up tonight, against Rodriguez. Our lineup should do better against a lefty. Good time to bench Calhoun and get him thinking about what's wrong. I havent liked his pitch selection a bit,  lately. He's obviously pressing. I guess this means Chris Young. But I sure wish Marte could play out there. We need to get him in there.

The Red Sox isn't the only good team. In the weeks to come, we will see if we can stay with the big boys or just excel against lesser teams.

Last night I took my media pad out to the garage to watch the game and completed the clay bar and waxing of my Spitfire, getting it ready for a car show on Sunday. Tonight will be spent on the interior and under the hood. Hopefully I will finish before the series ends and the Angels look better than the car tomorrow night. 

For the record, we are 2-3 against playoff caliber teams this year, going into our 6th game. Basically on par with what I hoped from this April. The reason there are so many games in baseball is because baseball talent really doesn't show up over a small sample size. In ever 10 at bats, Mike Trout will have 1 more hit than Maldenado. Meaning, in the median game, they have the same number of hits. THAT is how little a small sample size matters - it could lead you to believe that Maldenado and Trout are the same caliber hitter.

That being said...painful couple of games, and I'll be hanging out here:

suicide_booth_futurama.gif

41 minutes ago, Adam said:

The starting pitching will improve. This is a good team. Chill. Claude's just pissed because he laid out all of his plans for The Moose Forest

Skaggs and Heaney may detour that though.   Can either of them ever make it through even 160 innings in a season, and stop nibbling?

Looking forward to 1.5 to 2 years from now, when the rotation may well be GRich, Ohtani, Canning, Tropeano, Suarez, and Barria...and be free of Skaggs.

36 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

I dont insert Marte in place of Cozart. His hitting approach will not allow for an extended slump. This will be a short bump in the road. 

And after all the failures of Calhoun and Cozart last night, I couldnt help but think how nice it would be if Ohtani could hit the day AFTER he pitches. AFTER he threw only 66 pitches the night before. WTF COULD HE BE ANALYZING WITH A START, SIX DAYS OUT?????? He would have been great to have at 5 or 6 last night.

Disagree with most of that. 

1 hour ago, Torridd said:

The Red Sox isn't the only good team. In the weeks to come, we will see if we can stay with the big boys or just excel against lesser teams.

There's only like 6 really good teams so if the Angels keep excelling vs lesser teams to this extent, they'll be cruising to a playoff bid. Works for me

3 hours ago, WeatherWonk said:

WE FACED THE CLEVELAND INDIANS AND BEAT THEM 2/3. We also beat the best starting pitcher in baseball in Corey Kluber.