• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Eppler comparisons

Glen

When was the last time we had a GM that was as universally loved as Eppler? In retrospect Stoneman was good but he still got a lot of shit. I can't remember a GM for the Angels that reached Eppler's level of praise.

I like to think I am pretty objective about these types of things, but the only conclusion I can come to is that Eppler has been an absolutely outstanding GM. He inherited an absolute disaster, and yet has fielded competitive teams the last two seasons, has dramatically improved the team's future outlook (prospect depth and young talent), and has done it all without breaking the bank. 

At this moment, he is looking like a top 5 GM.

5 minutes ago, wopphil said:

I like to think I am pretty objective about these types of things, but the only conclusion I can come to is that Eppler has been an absolutely outstanding GM. He inherited an absolute disaster, and yet has fielded competitive teams the last two seasons, has dramatically improved the team's future outlook (prospect depth and young talent), and has done it all without breaking the bank. 

At this moment, he is looking like a top 5 GM.

^^^^This

I have created threads about this, but everyone loves Eppler and a ton of people hate Scioscia.  If Eppler chooses to bring him back, it will create some real turmoil in the haters.  My guess is even if Eppler chooses Scioscia, Arte will get the blame if he comes back.  

19 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

I have created threads about this, but everyone loves Eppler and a ton of people hate Scioscia.  If Eppler chooses to bring him back, it will create some real turmoil in the haters.  My guess is even if Eppler chooses Scioscia, Arte will get the blame if he comes back.  

Theres a massive difference between Eppler and Scioscia. It has nothing to do with analytics vs old school. It has nothing to do with how players perform. Scioscia has proven time and time again that his decision making is god awful. He is fundamentally flawed in his ability to see a situation and adapt to it in a timely manner. He is the antithesis of what Eppler has shown himself to be.

Sure Scioscia has done things and they have worked out in his favor, but its the times that he should have clearly done something differently and they have not worked that irritate me as a fan. The moves he makes I can only compare to blackjack. Scioscia is the person who hits on 19. Sure every once in a while hes going to hit that 2 and be praised but in all reality the smart play is to stay. He's incapable of understanding why he should be staying.

Yes scioscia has been around the game a very long time and is a much smarter baseball mind than anyone on this forum. However, at the end of the day he's never proven to me to be a good manager. He wins when all the cards fall in line like they are supposed to but in the small instances when theres an actual decision to be made like staying on 16 when the dealer is showing 12, that he's just not able to make the right call.

That is how I view scioscia and why I cannot stand his bs anymore.

14 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Theres a massive difference between Eppler and Scioscia. It has nothing to do with analytics vs old school. It has nothing to do with how players perform. Scioscia has proven time and time again that his decision making is god awful. He is fundamentally flawed in his ability to see a situation and adapt to it in a timely manner. He is the antithesis of what Eppler has shown himself to be.

Sure Scioscia has done things and they have worked out in his favor, but its the times that he should have clearly done something differently and they have not worked that irritate me as a fan. The moves he makes I can only compare to blackjack. Scioscia is the person who hits on 19. Sure every once in a while hes going to hit that 2 and be praised but in all reality the smart play is to stay. He's incapable of understanding why he should be staying.

Yes scioscia has been around the game a very long time and is a much smarter baseball mind than anyone on this forum. However, at the end of the day he's never proven to me to be a good manager. He wins when all the cards fall in line like they are supposed to but in the small instances when theres an actual decision to be made like staying on 16 when the dealer is showing 12, that he's just not able to make the right call.

Playing Blackjack and the dealer shows this, wut u do?

005twelvediamonds.jpg

20 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

I'd disagree with this statement...while Scioscia has some issues and makes moves I do not agree with....We blame JD for a crappy farm system, but expect that manager to work miracles with the crap he has....last year, to me was a great example of both a GM and manager working well.  No way on earth should we have been in the running for a wild card spot, and yet under the leadership of both, we were.

Scioscia has been manager of the year on two separate occasions (most recently in 2009) and has been in the top five or six vote getters on several other occasions.  

The thing with most managers...they dont manage to make us happy....the manage with what they have and to do the best for the club.

34 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

So if Eppler brings him back?  Because the rest of what you wrote is opinion and not based on anything other than that.  

9 minutes ago, HaloNArizona said:

I'd disagree with this statement...while Scioscia has some issues and makes moves I do not agree with....We blame JD for a crappy farm system, but expect that manager to work miracles with the crap he has....last year, to me was a great example of both a GM and manager working well.  No way on earth should we have been in the running for a wild card spot, and yet under the leadership of both, we were.

Scioscia has been manager of the year on two separate occasions (most recently in 2009) and has been in the top five or six vote getters on several other occasions.  

The thing with most managers...they dont manage to make us happy....the manage with what they have and to do the best for the club.

In 2015 we won 85 games with a below average offense and a below average pitching staff.  That is apparently having all the cards falling in line.  

If you want an indication as to how much more Eppler/Scioscia know about the game of baseball versus the peeps, including myself, on this forum, check out one of Lou's patented trade/draft/signing Necro-bumps he's famous for.  Players aren't 1's and 0's or buttons to be pushed so you need someone who can managed people (egos!) as well as line-up cards and bullpens. Scioscia, historically, gets the most out of his teams and, as much I disagree with some decisions at times, I'm not sure other managers would have accomplished more with what we've had on the roster.

1 minute ago, mulwin444 said:

If you want an indication as to how much more Eppler/Scioscia know about the game of baseball versus the peeps, including myself, on this forum, check out one of Lou's patented trade/draft/signing Necro-bumps he's famous for.  Players aren't 1's and 0's or buttons to be pushed so you need someone who can managed people (egos!) as well as line-up cards and bullpens. Scioscia, historically, gets the most out of his teams and, as much I disagree with some decisions at times, I'm not sure other managers would have accomplished more with what we've had on the roster.

If I would have wrote this @Chuckster70 would have told me to take Scioscia's dick out of my mouth.  Haha.  

Eppler is a very good GM and quite frankly we would be awful right now if we had even an average GM.  Our farm has grown leaps and bounds since his arrival and strategy have been implemented.  He has made smart trade after smart trade.  He has built a pen out of thin air.  And he has signed the most coveted international player in a very long time, because he made the guy feel comfortable and told him that they could help him improve his game.  Who the hell does that?  Eppler does.  

2 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

If I would have wrote this @Chuckster70 would have told me to take Scioscia's dick out of my mouth.  Haha.  

Haha...I get a good amount of perspective from my Dad who was drafted and played in the Phillies org for 5 or so years in the late 60's/early 70's.  While I'm definitely more open to the analytics being discussed now than he is, he also can appreciate how it can assist with building a roster.  However, he said there are just certain things you can't measure in analytics, a lot of which are hand-waived now as "noise" by the SABR-leaning crowd. Leading a team requires a certain skill set that may not be obvious and may require some trial and error.

2 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Haha...I get a good amount of perspective from my Dad who was drafted and played in the Phillies org for 5 or so years in the late 60's/early 70's.  While I'm definitely more open to the analytics being discussed now than he is, he also can appreciate how it can assist with building a roster.  However, he said there are just certain things you can't measure in analytics, a lot of which are hand-waived now as "noise" by the SABR-leaning crowd. Leading a team requires a certain skill set that may not be obvious and may require some trial and error.

I've actually heard some talk on how analytics has started really thinking about how to judge managers, and their possible impact in player fatigue/general player maintenance over a year. Trying to use analytics to figure out if coaches are good at getting players out of slumps, keeping them as fresh as possible, helping them bring their best game every day, that kind of thing. I would be really interested to see the results.

12 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

So if Eppler brings him back?  Because the rest of what you wrote is opinion and not based on anything other than that.  

I'd be pissed, not because I question Epplers decision making but because I absolutely cant stand Scioscia's. Yes I agree that he may be a players coach in terms of controlling egos and doing things the right way in the clubhouse. That's all fine and dandy, but I need to know that when a pitcher is getting torched time and time again that Scioscia's capable of putting that fire out. To his credit, the Blake Parker fiasco as closer got fixed much much faster than it has in the past. I give the credit wholy and completely to Scioscia. That situation in other seasons goes for weeks if not months before its fixed. That leads me to believe that either Eppler is flexing his muscle or scioscia is adapting the way he should have 5 years ago.

15 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

In 2015 we won 85 games with a below average offense and a below average pitching staff.  That is apparently having all the cards falling in line.  

Do you realize how many more games he could have won had the most basic of changes been made? I'm not saying he needs to win 100 games with AAA players, i'm saying when opportunities present themselves to win games you have no business winning in the first place, you better be doing the simple things correctly. It all comes down to lineup manipulation and pitching management for me. Baseball is 100% a game of rhythm and it is quite easy to see when pieces don't fit or need to be adjusted, but when you either over tinker or under tinker a lineup to the point where people are off balance and uncomfortable, you get exactly what happens to people like Cozart. Do you ever wonder to yourself why players go elsewhere and tear it up? The old adage, a change of scenery could do this guy wonders? That's not heresay. The reason behind that is the fact that either they are being given the proper coaching or they are given a consistent opportunity to prove themselves and with that comfort a rhythm is established.