• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

Blanton is delusional (plus, bonus Scioscia cliche)

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2013_05_13_kcamlb_anamlb_1&mode=recap_home&c_id=ana

I wanted to draw attention to these laughable quotes from ol' Joe:

"I felt like I threw the ball good tonight," Blanton said. "When they made contact, it found holes -- broken bats fell in, infield singles, bunts found their way down the line. It was one of those weird games. I felt I had good stuff, but when they made contact, it found holes. Not a lot you can do about that."

No, Joe, they weren't just finding holes last night: you got hammered.

Also, let the cliches begin!  First up, ol' Joe:

"The key is to put this game behind us," Blanton said. "Don't let the highs get too high because we won three games in a row and because we lost bad tonight, don't let that feel too bad. Come take two out of three, and it's a good series."

Then the master steps in to show him how it's done:

"Joe looks like he is making better starts," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "Obviously, tonight wasn't according to the game plan, but we will turn the page on it for Joe and hopefully he gets where he needs to be for his next start."

Apparently he can. He already has a B.S. in Spinology. He has quite a mentor to study under, one whose initials can even double for his degree - M.S. Mike, of course, is the Dean of the College of Clicheasthetics and Spinology while also holding a professorship in Excusethics. Joe should do well in his graduate studies.

His numbers are just absurdly bad at this point.  You keep waiting for him to at least somewhat regress to the mean, but even that wouldn't be anything to get excited about.  Isn't exactly surprising at this point to have a player come to the Angels and be even worse than we could have ever thought possible, seems to be a trend recently.

It's a pretty close race between Blanton and Hamilton as to which off-season signing has shit the bed more.  Actually, not really.  Most of us expected Blanton to suck but not suck this bad.  Most of us expected Hamilton to be a lot better.  

He didn't pitch particularly well, but he was much better than the box score shows.  At one point, I think he had six strikeouts, 2 other outs, but had given up five hits.  It was bad luck.  He gave up a few meat balls later, but clueless fans were booing him like crazy when a weak KC ground ball found its way through the infield.   

you have to look at it from Joe's typical vantage point.  He was unlucky last night from that perspective.  He usually gives up about 1.5 hits per inning whereas last night he gave up almost three.  The problem is, the guy has no room for error. 

Bad luck turns suck into supersuck. 

He didn't pitch particularly well, but he was much better than the box score shows.  At one point, I think he had six strikeouts, 2 other outs, but had given up five hits.  It was bad luck.  He gave up a few meat balls later, but clueless fans were booing him like crazy when a weak KC ground ball found its way through the infield.   

I love it when people make excuses like this.  He wasn't "much better than the box score shows."  The box score shows what actually happened.