• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Syria

I realize he's a complete knob but I can't understand why he's saying something to the effect that Russia is on notice that missiles will be flying at Syria shortly.  Obviously it looks like it's headed that way but I don't recall any other president referring to an act of war or retaliation like that.  I know I shouldn't be surprised but his constant lack of any kind of decorum still surprises me given his position.  I'm almost expecting to see him come out to 'Bombs over Baghdad' playing when he announces the attack has begun.  

Whats going on in Syria right now is perhaps one of the worst atrocities weve seen in recent decades made warse by the use of chemical warfare killing indiscriminately by a cowardly leadership that makes uganda, libya, iraq and so many others look like a picnic.  

We have 2 very simple choices, do something, or do nothing.   Even the Hollywood liberal elite are crying out for something to be done,

For me this falls under the "be careful what you wish for" heading as there is no solution that wont involve the military.   This cant be another half measure trying to have it both ways thing, those have failed miserably.  

When the people perpetrating this are military, you're not sending in civilians, aid alone wont help or stop it, taking in millions of refugees wont save those left behind...  so you cant say do something but not military, if thats your response then you might as well say do nothing.   Thats called hedging your bets and if history has proven anything, its doomed to fail

So choose... stop the killing whatever that may mean, or turn a blind eye and let it continue.  No pussy bullshit have it both ways nonsense, this is whats hurt this country ever since freaking Vietnam.. half measures and trying to appease everyone, all its gotten is hated by everyone.   

Russia is never going to willingly give up its influence because the country's ports and geographical location are too vital to its interests. Its way more important to them than we have any interest in removing their influence. So we allow Russia carte blanche to manage the country as it sees fit under the implied understanding that they deal with the current instability in an expedited manner, which Russia has ample experience in doing. It'd be bloody and messy but an improvement over the status quo.

I oppose any direct intervention that involves the use of American troops on the ground.  Other forms of indirect intervention I am open to if only because morally you want to prevent slaughter.  But they are extremely trickey.  The whole situation is fucked.  

I think that perhaps the best option is to provide increased support to fairly trust worthy actors such as Jordan who have taken in many, many Syrians fleeing the violence.  Jordan has struggled in bearing that burden.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

there are some very dicey lines to deal with this in this issue - humanitarian needs, aggravating russia, abandoning people in great need, allowing assad to keep doing his thing, etc.

i think asking the russians to remove their boy assad and let some moderate syrians take over is a reasonable option (although that hasn't been any kind of ringing success where we've done it in recent years).

i dunno. maybe blarg's nuclear option is the best bet. allowing it to continue as it's currently going doesn't seem like a good option, either.

6 hours ago, floplag said:

Whats going on in Syria right now is perhaps one of the worst atrocities weve seen in recent decades made warse by the use of chemical warfare killing indiscriminately by a cowardly leadership that makes uganda, libya, iraq and so many others look like a picnic.  

We have 2 very simple choices, do something, or do nothing.   Even the Hollywood liberal elite are crying out for something to be done,

For me this falls under the "be careful what you wish for" heading as there is no solution that wont involve the military.   This cant be another half measure trying to have it both ways thing, those have failed miserably.  

When the people perpetrating this are military, you're not sending in civilians, aid alone wont help or stop it, taking in millions of refugees wont save those left behind...  so you cant say do something but not military, if thats your response then you might as well say do nothing.   Thats called hedging your bets and if history has proven anything, its doomed to fail

So choose... stop the killing whatever that may mean, or turn a blind eye and let it continue.  No pussy bullshit have it both ways nonsense, this is whats hurt this country ever since freaking Vietnam.. half measures and trying to appease everyone, all its gotten is hated by everyone.   

Are you suggesting that the United States engagement in Vietnam or in Iraq or Afghanistan qualify as “half measures” ?