• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Fletcher MLB rules question!

Or anyone else, but he is the professional here.

Lets say Ohtani is pitching in an AL game with Pujols as the DH.

Ohtani finished the inning and the plan is to take hime out. Pujols leads off with a single.

Could Ohtani run for Pujols and the Angels forfeit the DH for the rest of the game? 

I'll take your answer off the air. 

6 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Or anyone else, but he is the professional here.

Lets say Ohtani is pitching in an AL game with Pujols as the DH.

Ohtani finished the inning and the plan is to take hime out. Pujols leads off with a single.

Could Ohtani run for Pujols and the Angels forfeit the DH for the rest of the game? 

I'll take your answer off the air. 

I'm like 97% sure the answer is no, because I can't recall a player already in the game pinch running, ever, but will wait for an official ruling from MLB HQ in NY  to confirm via instant replay in the next 4-6 weeks (postage and handling surcharge may apply). 

6 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

You could do that but I don’t believe they ever would. Pinch running usually requires a lot of getting loose that you wouldn’t be able to do if you’d been pitching. Your legs also might be kind of shot from pitching. 

I honestly doubt Ohtani will ever pinch run. 

I could see Ohtani being used as a pinch-runner on one of his "off" days.  Suppose it's a tie game and AP leads off the ninth with a BH.  

1 minute ago, oater said:

I could see Ohtani being used as a pinch-runner on one of his "off" days.  Suppose it's a tie game and AP leads off the ninth with a BH.  

Meh. Only if no one else (like Chris Young) is available. And more likely the day after a start than the day before. 

But I still say he will have zero pinch running appearances. 

This is why I could never be a MLB umpire because at that point I'd think it was absolutely awesome. Something this rare is actually happening while I am there umpiring at that game in that point in time with nobody else in the world to tell me otherwise. I'd just be like "yeah, sure, why the hell not." 

then i'd just throw out of the game anyone who argued with me with absolutely zero repercussions

7 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Meh. Only if no one else (like Chris Young) is available. And more likely the day after a start than the day before. 

Right. Perhaps if it's the day after he pitches (not before) and it's the 14th inning.

Perhaps. 

While we're asking @Jeff Fletcher questions, can I ask how many games he expects Pujols to play at 1B?

So far this year he's started 6 games at 1B, and 5 as the DH. Will we really see him play 1B this much? I expected Ohtani to get the majority of the DH starts (like 80-85) and Pujols to get like 60, but I figured he'd only play 145 games, as they'd give him a day off every 10 games or so.

There are times when Ohtani is slotted to be the DH, right after a three game stretch in a NL park, that seems like a lot of 1B to play in a row for Albert.

44 minutes ago, Hubs said:

While we're asking @Jeff Fletcher questions, can I ask how many games he expects Pujols to play at 1B?

So far this year he's started 6 games at 1B, and 5 as the DH. Will we really see him play 1B this much? I expected Ohtani to get the majority of the DH starts (like 80-85) and Pujols to get like 60, but I figured he'd only play 145 games, as they'd give him a day off every 10 games or so.

There are times when Ohtani is slotted to be the DH, right after a three game stretch in a NL park, that seems like a lot of 1B to play in a row for Albert.

I think those estimates are pretty fair, but I don’t think Pujols will have quite that many days off. 

DH: Ohtani 75, Pujols 75, Other 12

1B: Pujols 75, Valbuena/Marte/Other 87

Something like that

12 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Why risk Ohtani pinch running at all?  It would be silly to see him injured pinch running when he has so much more value pitching and hitting.  I think Jeff is correct.

3 hours ago, tomsred said:

Why risk Ohtani pinch running at all?  It would be silly to see him injured pinch running when he has so much more value pitching and hitting.  I think Jeff is correct.

I asked a rule question not a strategy question. Whether it's a good/bad idea is irrelevant. I wanted to know the rule. 

16 hours ago, oater said:

He could but I really don't think that'll ever happen, which stupid manager would risk his ace to get hurt for pr?