• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Shohei Ohtani and more: Q&A with Angels beat writer Jeff Fletcher

• Los Angeles Angels starting pitcher Shohei Ohtani, of Japan, throws against the Oakland Athletics during the third inning of a baseball game, Sunday, April 8, 2018, in Anaheim, Calif. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

Los Angeles Angels starting pitcher Shohei Ohtani, of Japan, throws against the Oakland Athletics during the third inning of a baseball game, Sunday, April 8, 2018, in Anaheim, Calif. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

• Angels starting pitcher Shohei Ohtani takes the field to warm up before the start of the game against Oakland in Anaheim on Sunday, April 8, 2018. (Photo by Paul Rodriguez, Contributing Photographer)

Angels starting pitcher Shohei Ohtani takes the field to warm up before the start of the game against Oakland in Anaheim on Sunday, April 8, 2018. (Photo by Paul Rodriguez, Contributing Photographer)

• Fans cheer as Los Angeles Angels starting pitcher Shohei Ohtani (17), of Japan, heads to the dugout after the sixth inning of a baseball game against the Oakland Athletics, Sunday, April 8, 2018, in Anaheim, Calif. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

Fans cheer as Los Angeles Angels starting pitcher Shohei Ohtani (17), of Japan, heads to the dugout after the sixth inning of a baseball game against the Oakland Athletics, Sunday, April 8, 2018, in Anaheim, Calif. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

• Angels starting pitcher Shohei Ohtani delivers a pitch against Oakland in the first inning in Anaheim on Sunday, April 8, 2018. (Photo by Paul Rodriguez, Contributing Photographer)

Angels starting pitcher Shohei Ohtani delivers a pitch against Oakland in the first inning in Anaheim on Sunday, April 8, 2018. (Photo by Paul Rodriguez, Contributing Photographer)

• Angels starting pitcher Shohei Ohtani winds to deliver a pitch against Oakland in the first inning in Anaheim on Sunday, April 8, 2018. (Photo by Paul Rodriguez, Contributing Photographer)

Angels starting pitcher Shohei Ohtani winds to deliver a pitch against Oakland in the first inning in Anaheim on Sunday, April 8, 2018. (Photo by Paul Rodriguez, Contributing Photographer)

• The Angels’ Mike Trout singles to right in the fourth inning against Oakland in Anaheim on Sunday, April 8, 2018. (Photo by Paul Rodriguez, Contributing Photographer)

The Angels’ Mike Trout singles to right in the fourth inning against Oakland in Anaheim on Sunday, April 8, 2018. (Photo by Paul Rodriguez, Contributing Photographer)

• Angels’ Mike Trout, right, rounds third after hitting a home run to center in the third inning against Oakland in Anaheim on Sunday, April 8, 2018. (Photo by Paul Rodriguez, Contributing Photographer)

Angels’ Mike Trout, right, rounds third after hitting a home run to center in the third inning against Oakland in Anaheim on Sunday, April 8, 2018. (Photo by Paul Rodriguez, Contributing Photographer)

• The Angels’ Mike Trout, right, gets a handshake from Kole Calhoun, after Trout scored in the first inning against Oakland in Anaheim on Sunday, April 8, 2018. (Photo by Paul Rodriguez, Contributing Photographer)

The Angels’ Mike Trout, right, gets a handshake from Kole Calhoun, after Trout scored in the first inning against Oakland in Anaheim on Sunday, April 8, 2018. (Photo by Paul Rodriguez, Contributing Photographer)

• Angels’ Shohei Ohtani walks back to the dugout after striking out the Oakland batter in the sixth inning in Anaheim on Sunday, April 8, 2018. (Photo by Paul Rodriguez, Contributing Photographer)

Angels’ Shohei Ohtani walks back to the dugout after striking out the Oakland batter in the sixth inning in Anaheim on Sunday, April 8, 2018. (Photo by Paul Rodriguez, Contributing Photographer)

• Angels starting pitcher Shohei Ohtani delivers a pitch against Oakland in the fifth inning in Anaheim on Sunday, April 8, 2018. (Photo by Paul Rodriguez, Contributing Photographer)

Angels starting pitcher Shohei Ohtani delivers a pitch against Oakland in the fifth inning in Anaheim on Sunday, April 8, 2018. (Photo by Paul Rodriguez, Contributing Photographer)

• Angels starting pitcher Shohei Ohtani delivers a pitch during the first inning of Sunday’s game against the Oakland A’s at Angel Stadium. (Photo by Paul Rodriguez, Contributing Photographer)

Angels starting pitcher Shohei Ohtani delivers a pitch during the first inning of Sunday’s game against the Oakland A’s at Angel Stadium. (Photo by Paul Rodriguez, Contributing Photographer)

of

Expand

After the first 10 games of the season, the Angels were 7-3 and Shohei Ohtani was the talk of baseball. There were still plenty of issues on the minds of fans. I answered questions on our Facebook page on Monday. Here’s a selection of the questions.

Call me crazy, with Ohtani on fire like he his , Richards can be in his 2014 form again and Skaggs is off to a good start, I have the Angels winning the AL West. Like I said call me crazy. -Steven Garrison.

You’re crazy. (Seriously, the Angels look good now, for sure. The Astros are also pretty good. Should be a good race.)

Every year Trout has had a new competitor for MVP. Do you think this year that competitor might be in the same clubhouse? Ohtani? -Ruben J. Rosas

It’s certainly possible that Ohtani could be an MVP candidate if he remains productive as a pitcher and hitter. That’s still a long way away, though.

If Ohtani pitches at a NL ballpark where do the Angels put him in the lineup. The typical 9 hole or would he bat like 6th? -Zack Hatt

That’s a good question, but one that probably won’t need to be answered until July. Their first series in an NL Park is two games at Colorado in early May, and it’s a Tuesday-Wednesday, so doesn’t look like Ohtani would pitch either of those. Who knows how he’ll be hitting in July. Ask me then.

If the Angels really need another starter … And they might. Do you think Eppler looks internally or use some of his under-cap $$ to bring in someone externally? Who might that be? Sorry I guess that’s two questions. -Stuart Glenn Matthews

Anyone they’d bring in now would be an inconsequential amount of money. Think back to the Jhoulys Chacin deal from a couple years ago. That kind of thing. And I don’t think they are at that point yet. Ask me again after we know more about Ramirez and Shoemaker. (Update: After I answered this question, we learned that JC Ramirez will be out for the year. Still, I think the Angels are not quite to the point of bringing in a pitcher from the outside.)

Is (Kevin) Maitan going to start with Orem or is it too early to tell? -Daniel Prepas

He’s in extended spring right now. I would assume he’s going to start at Orem in June but if he looks really good in Arizona between now and then it’s possible they could move him up to Burlington before then.

Heard Ohtani will be limited to one start a week. With both his starts being on Sunday, can we expect him to pitch only on Sunday from here on out? And does the rest of the rotation just work around that? -Rob Aspinall

I think the plan for the immediate future is for him to pitch once a week, because that’s what he did in Japan. So far, that’s been on Sundays. However, it’s certainly not a lock that he’ll be doing that all year. Maybe at some point an injury or a rainout or something will change the schedule. I also wouldn’t be shocked if they skip him at some point to control his innings, which would allow them to change his schedule when he comes back. Bottom line, for now it looks like Sundays, but that could change.

Any talk or possibilities that Upton moves to DH when Ohtani isn’t there and bring some of my Ben Revere backup? Upton it’s just not a very good outfielder. -Zach Adams

I don’t think that’s a realistic scenario because it also means that Pujols has to play first all of the time, instead of just half the time.

Now that Jaime Barria is coming up to the bigs, who would you say is the next prospect that would be called up to be a starting pitcher? seems we have a big drop off for MLB pitching. Sure, we have Tropeno, Bridwell, a few others, but I’m talking prospect. Thanks Jeff! -Mark K. Wingard

You are correct that there’s quite a gap between Barria and the next major-league ready starting pitcher. It may be someone like Jake Jewell.

View the full article