• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Angels vs. Rangers (no Ohtani, Schimpf in LF)

Chuck

10 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Relievers are very volatile.  One year they look dominant, the next year, they're lit-up.  This is why, overall, teams shy away from doling out significant contracts to relievers, unless they are an elite closer (like Jansen, Kimbrel, Chapman, etc).  These guys so often rely on the dominance of one pitch, that the moment that pitch becomes less dominant, they're in trouble.  This is why, IMO, it's ideal to have all sorts of relief options, and to cycle through them until you find ones that seem to have "found it" for the year.

Last year, Blake Parker was pretty lights out for us.  This year?  We only want him pitching in blowouts, and we are only in the second week of the season.

EDITED for confusing our reliever for Peter Parker's uncle :P

4 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Relievers are very volatile.  One year they look dominant, the next year, they're lit-up.  This is why, overall, teams shy away from doling out significant contracts to relievers, unless they are an elite closer (like Jansen, Kimbrel, Chapman, etc).  These guys so often rely on the dominance of one pitch, that the moment that pitch becomes less dominant, they're in trouble.  This is why, IMO, it's ideal to have all sorts of relief options, and to cycle through them until you find ones that seem to have "found it" for the year.

Last year, Ben Parker was pretty lights out for us.  This year?  We only want him pitching in blowouts, and we are only in the second week of the season.

Peter Parker’s uncle was lights out last year! :)

16 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Did you guys know we are #1 in baseball in runs scored currently?  And again, that is with Trout not hitting like Trout and Kinsler on the DL basically the whole time.  Not bad!

In total runs scored, yes.In average runs/game we're behind Pittsburgh.

This team has been a blast to watch thus far. Trout breaks out tomorrow with 4 hits. 

1 hour ago, bloodbrother said:

I mean, It'll depend on his market. I'm not a fan of them locking him up long-term for a hefty price considering his injury history. He just isn't an arm you can rely on due to the aforementioned injury concerns

No argument.  However I don't th think he will be that expensive because of injury concerns.

5 minutes ago, stormngt said:

No argument.  However I don't th think he will be that expensive because of injury concerns.

Is it possible to sign a player April through the all-star break, with a team option post break? Garrett is probably too good of a pitcher for something like that, but a reclamation project like Lincecum could make something like that interesting. It doesn't work out, you don't pick up the option and use the salary relief to pick up somebody else at the deadline. 

4 minutes ago, 101halo said:

Is it possible to sign a player April through the all-star break, with a team option post break? Garrett is probably too good of a pitcher for something like that, but a reclamation project like Lincecum could make something like that interesting. It doesn't work out, you don't pick up the option and use the salary relief to pick up somebody else at the deadline. 

My guess you sign him for the minimum for the season and incentives for games played 

1 minute ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I don’t believe I ever said that was happening for sure. 

Heaney said he’s ready. And the Angels have rotation openings on Thursday and Friday, so I think it’s highly likely he gets one of those games. But nothing has been announced. 

Buzz kill! Kidding. 

Any word on how Ohtani is handling the workload thus far? Selfish me wants to see pinch hits on Saturday and Monday, but later in season selfish me wants him healthy for a postseason run. 

18 minutes ago, 101halo said:

Buzz kill! Kidding. 

Any word on how Ohtani is handling the workload thus far? Selfish me wants to see pinch hits on Saturday and Monday, but later in season selfish me wants him healthy for a postseason run. 

So far everything seems to be Ok, but I don’t hear anything about them upping his workload in any way (starting on less than 6 days rest, pinch hitting, etc.) 

Maybe in June or July you can start to have those conversations. 

I think they realize they are doing something pretty difficult and they shouldn’t mess with it by tinkering too much with what’s working. 

3 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

So far everything seems to be Ok, but I don’t hear anything about them upping his workload in any way (starting on less than 6 days rest, pinch hitting, etc.) 

Maybe in June or July you can start to have those conversations. 

I think they realize they are doing something pretty difficult and they shouldn’t mess with it by tinkering too much with what’s working. 

Thanks! This is one of those times where you appreciate the steady hand of Scioscia. I'd be itching to push him, but the "one day, one game at a time, marathon not a sprint, turn the page" calmness is likely beneficial in a case like this. 

I gotta tip my cap to Scioscia.

His very deliberate confidence in Ohtani, in jest of all the negative Spring Training media, must have been such a HUGE weight off Shohei's shoulders at the time. Even when he struggled in his last ST performance, Skip said he looked really good out there. Mainstream MLB media/sports media thought Mike was delirious. When it comes down to it, it's probably a big factor in why Ohtani chose to come to the Halos in the first place. No constant overboard cameras in his face. From what I heard when he signed here, he just felt the most comfortable with being an Angel. 

To me, that's awesome.

I have no problem with Skip pampering him and making sure he stays healthy.

1 hour ago, Puget Sound Angel said:

I'm almost feeling guilty about being this giddy so early.

I was thinking the same thing the other day. Then I decided, since we haven't been able to enjoy anything like this for quite a while, why not milk it for all it's worth? 

This has been the best opening couple of weeks to a season ever.  Enjoy the hell out of it.

8 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Sosh and Eppler have set it up just right for Ohtani to relax.

Who knows how it would be if he signed with the M’s and their reactionary GM, Dipussy.

He'd be playing somewhere else after being traded along with their 3rd and 7th rated prospects for Brett Gardner.