• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dodgers Nation...

Chuck

8 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

As much as we enjoy ridiculing Kershaw, if he were to opt out and sign with the Angels, I think I could live with that.

He's 30 and is going to get a 7 year deal for over 35 million per year.

Has also had back injuries

Pass...let the Dodgers deal with his expensive decline years

3 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

He's 30 and is going to get a 7 year deal for over 35 million per year.

Has also had back injuries

Pass...let the Dodgers deal with his expensive decline years

While I mainly agree with this, you have to admit the idea of throwing out a Kershaw-Ohtani-Richards 1-2-3 punch in a playoff series is pretty insane.  Those 3 would basically combine for most of the playoff starts.  We'd be an incredibly tough matchup for any team.

Just now, Warfarin said:

While I mainly agree with this, you have to admit the idea of throwing out a Kershaw-Ohtani-Richards 1-2-3 punch in a playoff series is pretty insane.  Those 3 would basically combine for most of the playoff starts.  We'd be an incredibly tough matchup for any team.

Dodgers threw out Kershaw-Greinke-Ryu 3-4 years ago and it didn't matter. You stay the course if you're Eppler. Worry about locking up Ohtani/Trout, keep developing your own talent, and don't commit to long term deals for players over the age of 30 like Dipshito and Reagins did.

3 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Dodgers threw out Kershaw-Greinke-Ryu 3-4 years ago and it didn't matter. You stay the course if you're Eppler. Worry about locking up Ohtani/Trout, keep developing your own talent, and don't commit to long term deals for players over the age of 30 like Dipshito and Reagins did.

Yeah I know, I'm not condoning us to abandon the process and start trading prospects, dumping the farm, etc.  Just saying, envisioning that trio atop the rotation is pretty neat.  I do agree though, it's bad business to sign starters over 30 to long-term contracts.

3 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Yeah, worry about keeping Trout, but I believe we have Ohtani under club control for six years?

The history of back injuries with Kershaw is a bit troubling. Pass. We're also going to need three to four hundred million to lock up Trout.

We do, and it's not like we can just go out and hand Ohtani a massive contract next offseason.  Baseball is keeping an eye on the situation to ensure "no funny business" occurs.  Ohtani will likely get modest raises the first few years, then start earning significant $$ in arbitration.

8 minutes ago, Blarg said:

If Ohtani keeps playing like he has there is nothing MLB could say about a performance based raise. The kid is earning any future value. 

Sure they can.  MLB warned all of the teams that they would be on the lookout for any kind of secret, under-the-table agreements teams had with Ohtani.

Even Mike Trout, after he posted a 10 WAR (!!) season in 2012, earned basically the minimum in 2013.  He followed that with a 10 WAR season again, and was subsequently rewarded with a raise to a cool 1 million.

Point is, I don't think we'll see Ohtani earning huge $$ for a few seasons.

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

So that leads to an interesting question.  Assuming you could sign one of the three star players this offseason (assuming you could get them for 35mil AAV), who would you sign?  Kershaw, Harper, or Machado?

None of them.  We could get three younger players at $12M AAV each and be way ahead.

4 hours ago, Warfarin said:

So that leads to an interesting question.  Assuming you could sign one of the three star players this offseason (assuming you could get them for 35mil AAV), who would you sign?  Kershaw, Harper, or Machado?

Harper in a second. Could u imagine Trout and Harper hitting back to back. Trout would score 200 runs 

5 hours ago, Warfarin said:

You have to remember, a lot of people here don't comprehend the concept of assumptions and hypotheticals. (adding years to the equation would have made it more interesting)

I would say Kershaw if he were a few years younger, but being only 25, it has to be Harper. The guy can rake. Trout, Harper, Upton, Ohtani and Schrimpf in the same lineup? Are you kidding me? 

Edited by Lou

21 hours ago, Warfarin said:

All about the years - if it's 1 year, I sign Kershaw *and* Harper.  :)

Harper would probably be the better investment - he's much younger, plays every day, and less likely to suffer some precipitous decline in performance.  

Of course, realistically, we can't afford him - Pujols remains on the payroll ... 

But imagine if the Dodgers fall apart and well ut of the race, and are willing to trade Kershaw as a rental, fully expecting to re-sign him as a FA.

What would you give up for a half-season of him (assuming we're in the playoff hunt?)

21 hours ago, Warfarin said:

That's if Kershaw didn't usually morph into Tyler Skaggs in the post-season.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

That's if Kershaw didn't usually morph into Tyler Skaggs in the post-season.

I do think the story of his postseason failures is overblown.  He did have a couple of bad outings, but he was pretty robust last year, save for that one game in Houston in which EVERYONE got lit up (including Houston's ace Keuchel).  He does not pitch as well as regular season Kershaw in the playoffs, but he's still pretty good overall there.  Yes, I'd opt for Bumgarner over him, but he isn't a free agent to my knowledge ;)