• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

JC Ramirez with forearm tightness

Chuck

While I feel bad for JC, this injury is more of a blip in the radar for us.  Ramirez was more like our 5th/6th starter, so losing him probably doesn't impact the performance of our team too much.

Heaney appears healthy and ready to step back in, so moving forward, we'll utilizing some combination of Richards, Skaggs, Ohtani, Heaney, and Tropeano, with Bridwell probably being used as a swing man to come up and give a 6th start as needed, and Barria also potentially filling that role.

Our depth is being challenged, but we DO still have options - this is why we have depth.  Obviously if another pitcher or two bites the dust, then we can go out and search for FA pitching.  But I think Eppler did the right thing by not tossing a ton of money at an "innings eater" type pitcher.  

10 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Our depth is being challenged, but we DO still have options.

Agreed - and I'm looking forward to seeing some of these guys like Barria, Tropeano, and Bridwell get an extended look because if they deliver over the course of a season, the depth we have becomes tremendous - but being out four SPs if you include Meyer, Smith, Shoemaker, and Ramirez a week into the season, it's a little concerning. 

That Almonte trade may be a big one if he sticks in a starting role.

8 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Agreed - and I'm looking forward to seeing some of these guys like Barria, Tropeano, and Bridwell get an extended look because if they deliver over the course of a season, the depth we have becomes tremendous - but being out four SPs if you include Meyer, Smith, Shoemaker, and Ramirez a week into the season, it's a little concerning. 

That Almonte trade may be a big one if he sticks in a starting role.

Right.  To be fair, if you ran a hypothetical by any team and said "well, if you lose 4 starters, THEN what do you have?", I'm sure most teams wouldn't be left with much depth at all.  I mean yeah, if we lose a few more starters, we're in trouble, but if any team lost THAT many starters, I think all of them would be in trouble.

For now, count our blessings that our top pitchers remain healthy.  Hopefully it will stay that way.

8 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Are other teams experiencing the "forearm tightness" problems that the Angels are having?  This seems more than just bad luck.

This is why, IMO, the era of 200+ IP starters is going to be gone very soon.  Pitchers are throwing harder and harder, but likewise seem to be getting significantly hurt more now, too.

Thus, in this era, it seems to make sense to spread out the IP amongst many starters, vs just asking 5 guys to pitch 200 innings per year.  Instead, we will see pitchers shoot more for 150 IP per year, with legitimate contending teams trying to "conserve" their star pitchers for a postseason run.

I'm baffled by the fact that the coaching staff did not see anything with JC through the 2 innings, exceptionally the 2nd inning. It was pretty clear something just did not look right with JC in the 2nd inning, yet it took a full inning to figure it out!! even Gubi was saying something may be wrong with JC around 40 pitches into the 2nd inning.  

12 hours ago, Dochalo said:

was wondering why he was throwing 91/92.  The pulled Barria after 2ip.  Presumably because of the aforementioned and not an injury.  

Zach Houchins pitched for the SLC bees tonight btw.  

They pulled Barria because there was an hour rain delay.

If Ramirez and Shoe/Bridwell stay down, Tropeano and Barria step in. But beyond them, our starting pitching depth is whittled down to Miguel Almonte and John Lamb.

I hate to break it to you guys, but if those two are pitching in a starting role in the major leagues for an extended period of time, something would've gone terribly awry and we could kiss 2018 goodbye.

Having said that, honestly, I think the Angels will be fine. Richards is back healthy, Ohtani is healthy, Skaggs is healthy and looking good, Heaney's DL stint was very much precautionary, he's fine. Tropeano was already one of our five best starters to begin with, so it only makes sense he's promoted. 

And while Bridwell is not good at all, Barria is. 

And if the Angels were truly serious about competing in 2018, and we sustained further pitching casualties, Griffin Canning is major league ready. They should not promote him beyond AA but if it is the difference between October baseball and nothing, I choose Canning every time.

6 hours ago, arch stanton said:

It's unnerving to me how many people here are always anxious to condemn pitchers to TJS every time elbow is mentioned

Well I think if you look at the recent history of the last 3 or 4 years, there shouldn't be too many surprises at this kind of response.