• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Alex Smith to Chiefs

nando714

Thanks.

I'm kind of indifferent. He's a game manager type like Cassel, so I kind of feel like we are getting the same guy. I'll always wonder if Andy Reid could have improved Cassel, but can't deny Cassel has been garbage except for one year with a great OC in Charlie Weiss. Smith isn't elite, but a lot of the analysts are saying Harbaugh gave him confidence by sticking with him and that's when he flourished. KC is doing the same by committing to him with a great draft pick and likely contract extension after March 12th.

I don't like giving up so much for him, but as someone said earlier, what does it matter if he plays like last year and does very well.

A plus is they have the QB situation set before the draft and FA. So there are a lot more options now since QB was the most pressing need.

I'm more excited the new regime is doing something and being active in getting the team in the right direction. They aren't too far off.

Thanks.

I'm kind of indifferent. He's a game manager type like Cassel, so I kind of feel like we are getting the same guy. I'll always wonder if Andy Reid could have improved Cassel, but can't deny Cassel has been garbage except for one year with a great OC in Charlie Weiss. Smith isn't elite, but a lot of the analysts are saying Harbaugh gave him confidence by sticking with him and that's when he flourished. KC is doing the same by committing to him with a great draft pick and likely contract extension after March 12th.

I don't like giving up so much for him, but as someone said earlier, what does it matter if he plays like last year and does very well.

A plus is they have the QB situation set before the draft and FA. So there are a lot more options now since QB was the most pressing need.

I'm more excited the new regime is doing something and being active in getting the team in the right direction. They aren't too far off.

Who's he going to throw to??

Some guy named Dwayne Bowe who many regard as a top tier WR. (to not sound like a homer, I actually don't like Bowe so much because he is good enough to make too much money, but drops way too many balls or causes turnovers)

I don't think they are in bad shape talent wise. Bowe, 1st rounder Baldwin, McCluster, and Moeaki at TE.

The previous coaching regime was terrible and the offense and play calling had me turn off games last year. The key is Reid builds game plans around his QB's and that also works with the WR's/TE's.

I also think they make a splash with a guy like Mike Wallace.

Brandon, its good to see you back on here.  How bout using that draft pick to go after a guy like Larry Fitzgerald and a lower pick?  I wouldn't be surprised if he is traded by AZ. I am just not sure I give up the number one overall pick for him alone, I would need a draft pick coming back the other way.  I just hate using very high draft picks on line men. 

Thanks.

Hey Brandon!! Good to see you on here dude. I think Alex Smith is a good thing for the Chiefs. They were a turnover machine last year, and that's one thing Alex doesn't really do. He makes smart throws and hardly turns the ball over. I think that will be a huge different from Cassel who threw his share of picks. The Chiefs have way too much talent to have gone 2-14. I think Moeaki will do great with Alex (See Vernon Davis) and Bowe will help him in the redzone, where he struggled in SF because we never really had much of a big, tall redzone threat. I was shocked the Niners were able to get the 2nd rounder + the conditional pick for him. That is a lot to give up but if he plays well it will definitely be worth it. 

Brandon, its good to see you back on here.  How bout using that draft pick to go after a guy like Larry Fitzgerald and a lower pick?  I wouldn't be surprised if he is traded by AZ. I am just not sure I give up the number one overall pick for him alone, I would need a draft pick coming back the other way.  I just hate using very high draft picks on line men. 

Thanks man.

I have seen a lot of talk about Fitz, whether it be other teams or possible compensation, but all signs seem to be that they aren't moving him. They seem to be in a similar situation to KC where the QB play is the real problem.

I would trade the 1st for Fitz straight up. At the end of the day you have to assess the draft and whether a pick would be better than Fitz and I don't think it would. I actually don't like anyone in this draft for a #1. Fitz would be better than anyone we draft so I would take him straight up.

Hey Brandon!! Good to see you on here dude. I think Alex Smith is a good thing for the Chiefs. They were a turnover machine last year, and that's one thing Alex doesn't really do. He makes smart throws and hardly turns the ball over. I think that will be a huge different from Cassel who threw his share of picks. The Chiefs have way too much talent to have gone 2-14. I think Moeaki will do great with Alex (See Vernon Davis) and Bowe will help him in the redzone, where he struggled in SF because we never really had much of a big, tall redzone threat. I was shocked the Niners were able to get the 2nd rounder + the conditional pick for him. That is a lot to give up but if he plays well it will definitely be worth it. 

Thanks dude.

Yeah, I like a lot of things about Smith. The turnovers were indeed a huge issue. While Cassel and Quinn mad bad decisions, I saw so many player turnovers last season that weren't on the QB's.....mainly the ball hitting Bowe's hands and deflecting into the other teams hands (honestly, Bowe would be a top 5 WR if he stopped the drops).

I agree with everything you said.

With the compensation, the more I think about it, the more I am ok with it. The pick next year is conditional 3rd or 4th and based on his performance. So if he plays well we give up the pick, but if he plays well that's kind of the goal and what's expected. One analyst summed it up perfectly when he said if Smith plays a top 10 QB like the past two years, what does a second matter unless it's some hall of famer...which isn't likely in this draft. If there were a ton of holes on the team I would be pissed at losing a 2nd, QB was the most pressing need and that's now taken care of for better or worse. I also anticipate us trading back and picking up a 2nd or more picks because word is coming out that teams are falling in love with certain players. One website had the deal set for a 3rd but then the Raiders jumped in and upped the price.

We shall see man. Hopefully we both crush next year.

Also, props on the Super Bowl run. I think you guys can end up there again with the balance on both sides of the ball you guys have.

He is, but the team can franchise him again. Although, it's looking more like they are close to a long term deal.

Didn't realize the Chiefs were going to franchise Bowe. Thought they were going to let him walk. Bowe would be the best Wide Receiver that Smith has had. (Vernon Davis doesn't count)

They aren't likely to. He either signs long term or walks. They franchised him last year and the "penalties" for consecutive franchising of the same player goes up drastically each year.

The Chiefs released Breaston who was a known cap casualty, so i don't think they can afford to let him go and just have Baldwin and guys like mini Wes Welker Wylie be their only WR options.