• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Will David Fletcher ever start in a MLB game?

18 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I was just coming here to post this. 

He and Valbuena earned another 1-2 months of shitty at bats. 

Hope I'm wrong though and they turned a corner after both having a breakout game. 

Cool, so those two earned two months more playing time but Cron got sent down because he hit a grand slam.  

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Sosh loves his vets! 

Ok Chuck.  It has nothing to do with Eppler acquiring Valbuena to platoon.  Or nothing to do with Cron hitting .199 with zero homers when Valbuena was hurt.  Cron is just a guy, Valbuena is worse.  On a team with zero young guys worth playing on the big league team it is a ridiculous narrative to distract from the actual problem, the roster.

2 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Cron was never given a chance to play everyday here and let his talent develop as it should have.

For whatever reasons, but it's a fact. I'm happy for him now.

I too am happy for him too, but he played in 116 games in 2016, he was playing every day until he got hurt and went on the DL, when he came back he played every day.  He was good that year.  For some reason Eppler signed Valbuena to platoon with him.  Cron was not good at being platooned and did his usual slow start thing when Valbuena was hurt.  Eppler’s two biggest mistakes were signing Valbuena and the effect that probably had on Cron and not addressing the bullpen this year.

What’s particularly encouraging about Fletcher is his strong bat control.  We have seen video game numbers posted in SLC many times before, but Fletcher has an incredibly low K rate, which makes me think that he can at least be an average offensive second baseman at the big league level.

Considering the performance of all of our recent second basemen, an average one would be a gigantic improvement.

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

What’s particularly encouraging about Fletcher is his strong bat control.  We have seen video game numbers posted in SLC many times before, but Fletcher has an incredibly low K rate, which makes me think that he can at least be an average offensive second baseman at the big league level.

Considering the performance of all of our recent second basemen, an average one would be a gigantic improvement.

If he's Johnny G with great defense, than I'm happy. I don't expect much more than a .275/.335/.365 type hitter, but if he slaps out 20 doubles, steals 15-20 bases, and can serve as a second lead-off man in the #9 spot, with his defense, it'd be huge, especially at $545k. That'd be good for 1-2 WAR, if not 2-3 WAR. 

13 minutes ago, totdprods said:

If he's Johnny G with great defense, than I'm happy. I don't expect much more than a .275/.335/.365 type hitter, but if he slaps out 20 doubles, steals 15-20 bases, and can serve as a second lead-off man in the #9 spot, with his defense, it'd be huge, especially at $545k. That'd be good for 1-2 WAR, if not 2-3 WAR. 

1-2 WAR at 2B at 545k would be fantastic.  I'm hoping he can fill that niche.  I think Renfigo's ceiling might be higher, and if not him, there's always Jones, too.  We do seem to have a lot of 2B options in the pipeline. 

It's fascinating how things evolve.  I imagine we wouldn't have signed Cozart if we knew that we'd see a huge jump from Fletcher, Renfigo performing really well, Jones taking to 2B, etc.  With all of these guys progressing though, I can foresee Cozart possibly staying at 3B.  If Ward progresses too though, Cozart might become expendable in quite a hurry.

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

1-2 WAR at 2B at 545k would be fantastic.  I'm hoping he can fill that niche.  I think Renfigo's ceiling might be higher, and if not him, there's always Jones, too.  We do seem to have a lot of 2B options in the pipeline. 

It's fascinating how things evolve.  I imagine we wouldn't have signed Cozart if we knew that we'd see a huge jump from Fletcher, Renfigo performing really well, Jones taking to 2B, etc.  With all of these guys progressing though, I can foresee Cozart possibly staying at 3B.  If Ward progresses too though, Cozart might become expendable in quite a hurry.

Worst-case scenario, Cozart becomes an expensive $13m AAV UT IF by his last remaining year, which won't be quite so painful if Fletcher has replaced Kinsler's $12m at 2B and Thaiss, Ward, or JMF have replaced Valbuena's $8.5m.

I think Cozart has some rebound in him still too. He's definitely not 2017 Cozart, but a Zobristy .750-.800 OPS still feels within reach.

10 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Worst-case scenario, Cozart becomes an expensive $13m AAV UT IF by his last remaining year, which won't be quite so painful if Fletcher has replaced Kinsler's $12m at 2B and Thaiss, Ward, or JMF have replaced Valbuena's $8.5m.

I think Cozart has some rebound in him still too. He's definitely not 2017 Cozart, but a Zobristy .750-.800 OPS still feels within reach.

Yeah, Cozart does have utility.  He's a strong defensive SS and has looked really strong at 2B too.  That definitely has value, especially if heaven forbid something happens to Simmons.  Even with mediocre offense, I would not look at him like we do Valbuena.

1 hour ago, The Boogie Man said:

Ok Chuck.  It has nothing to do with Eppler acquiring Valbuena to platoon.  Or nothing to do with Cron hitting .199 with zero homers when Valbuena was hurt.  Cron is just a guy, Valbuena is worse.  On a team with zero young guys worth playing on the big league team it is a ridiculous narrative to distract from the actual problem, the roster.

Valbuena was brought in as a 1b, 2b and 3b option. I didn't care much for Cron because of his inconsistency but being that he's on a team that's giving him a chance to play every day he's hitting 260 with 12 homeruns. Theres something to be said when people make the most of their opportunities rather than just forcing a player in the lineup with endless opportunities (Calhoun) because he's a veteran when he doesn't produce.

3 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

Cron was never given a chance to play everyday here and let his talent develop as it should have.

Cron is quickly regressing to his norms this season. His OBP is now at .323, and his OPS is under .800.

3 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

Cron was given multiple opportunities to play everyday. The only reason he didn't stick throughout a whole season is because he sucked for long stretches.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

DFA Valnobuena when Ohtani returns, play Fletcher at 3B, and have Marte back up 3B and back up DH.

Valnobuena OPS = .609.   How long is he going to get?   Through July because they think he'll still heat up enough to have trade value beyond gumballs and presidential memoirs?

8 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

DFA Valnobuena when Ohtani returns, play Fletcher at 3B, and have Marte back up 3B and back up DH.

Valnobuena OPS = .609.   How long is he going to get?   Through July because they think he'll still heat up enough to have trade value beyond gumballs and presidential memoirs?

Marte will get DFA'd before Valbuena....that's the way it works....your contract will get you a lot more chances....

4 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I think there are two specific windows on Eppler's radar right now - July 13th and July 30th. 

We will have played 6 games against Seattle between now and the 13th, and then three more right before the deadline.

The season really comes down to those three series and thus, what direction Eppler takes. I can very well see them retaining Valbuena for the sake of depth if they're in the thick of it still come July 13th, and I imagine they'll hold onto him through those two series as well. 

Valbuena also hits well against Seattle (.725 OPS this year, .920 last year, career .808)

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I think there are two specific windows on Eppler's radar right now - July 13th and July 30th. 

We will have played 6 games against Seattle between now and the 13th, and then three more right before the deadline.

The season really comes down to those three series and thus, what direction Eppler takes. I can very well see them retaining Valbuena for the sake of depth if they're in the thick of it still come July 13th, and I imagine they'll hold onto him through those two series as well. 

Valbuena also hits well against Seattle (.725 OPS this year, .920 last year, career .808)

Those 9 Seattle games in July should then basically be Valnobuena's last chance.    If he has just a .600 OPS during those 9 games, that's it.